LSBU Subcontracting Arrangements
LSBU is committed to delivering high quality Apprenticeships that meet the needs of Apprentices, employers and the wider labour market. In most cases all delivery of the Apprenticeship will be carried out by the University however in some limited instances we will work with a subcontractor who would support our delivery with the provision of selected services within the Apprenticeship. This will only be in instances where the use of the subcontractor would enhance the apprentice experience and it is agreed with the employer that the service can meet or exceed the academic standard required within the Apprenticeship. At all times LSBU lead the employer relationship.
Use of subcontractors
Our subcontract relationships will be in one of two forms:
- Subcontract for Functional Skills English and Maths delivery
- Subcontract Additional Learning Support (ALS)
Lambeth College, part of LSBU Group, is subcontracted to provide Functional Skills level 2 Maths and English for apprentices who have not yet achieved these qualifications or their equivalent. Apprentices will complete the required English and Maths qualification prior to starting their apprenticeship with LSBU. This will provide them with the best opportunity to successfully complete their apprenticeships from level 4 to level 7 at LSBU. The subcontracting to Lambeth College will:
- enhance the opportunities available for learners
- fill gaps in niche or expert provision
- offer an entry point for disadvantaged groups
Additional Learning Support (ALS) is available for apprentices throughout the duration of their apprenticeship. In order to offer the best experience to apprentices and to complement our own Disability and Dyslexia Support service we have arranged to subcontract this specialist support to Lambeth College, as they have many years’ experience in offering this one-to-one support.
Lambeth College passed a detailed due diligence process which includes but is not limited to: appraisal of Ofsted or applicable assurance reports for validation of quality, appraisal of trainer qualifications, business continuity plans and Lambeth College is on the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) Register of Apprenticeship Training Providers.
At all times LSBU retains clear and transparent accountability for the quality of training provision, maintain proper and appropriate controls to manage the apprentice experience; and seek to ensure that value for money is achieved by efficient subcontractor management. These controls are validated by an annual subcontractor controls evaluation carried out by an independent assurance specialist.
LSBU would provide quality assurance through close monitoring by the Deputy Director of Academic Quality and Enhancement (Technical)| Apprenticeships | and the Group Director of Apprenticeships. The written agreement (contract) with the employer for Apprenticeship provision will always list the costs of the subcontract in line with the Apprenticeship funding rules so that all costs are transparent. A declaration is made by LSBU to the ESFA twice a year declaring any subcontractors used.
Services we provide to quality assure subcontracted provision
The Group Director of Apprenticeships and the Deputy Director of Academic Quality and Enhancement (Technical)| Apprenticeships have responsibility for assuring the quality of delivery of subcontracted provision and a regular programme of activity is agreed to monitor provision
This includes a regular and substantial programme of quality-assurance checks on the apprenticeship training and on-programme assessment provided by delivery subcontractors, including visits at short notice and face-to-face interviews with staff and apprentices to ensure apprentices exist and are eligible; and involves direct observation of initial guidance, assessment and delivery of training and/or on-programme assessment.
In the functional skills subcontract model, LSBU retain all responsibility for resolving any issues and disputes between the employer and delivery subcontractor.
Functional Skills will be subcontracted out at the exact ESFA funding rate of £471 per functional skill with LSBU absorbing the costs of quality assurance within our broad revenue streams.
LSBU will not be charging Lambeth College any management fee for delivery of ALS and all ESFA ALS funding (after deducting assessment costs) will go to Lambeth College.
Our contracts with subcontractors
A contract is put in place between LSBU and Lambeth College which specifies the following:
Lambeth College must
- keep to the funding rules
- provide us with data so that our data returns to the ESFA accurately reflect delivery information Give the ESFA and any other person nominated by the ESFA access to their premises and to all documents related to their delivery of apprenticeships Give LSBU sufficient evidence to allow
- Assessment of their performance against Ofsted’s common inspection framework or the requirements of the QAA quality code; incorporate the evidence the subcontractor provides into LSBU’s self– assessment report; and guide the judgements and grades within LSBU’s self-assessment report
- Always have suitably qualified staff available to provide English and Maths and ALS support Co-operate with LSBU to ensure that there is continuity of learning for apprentices if the subcontract ends for any reason Communicate in writing to LSBU if evidence of irregular financial or delivery issues arises. This could include, but is not limited to, non-delivery of training when funds have been paid, sanctions imposed by an awarding organisation, allegations of fraud, an inadequate Ofsted grade, not meeting relevant QAA quality code indicators, allegations or complaints by apprentices, employers, staff members, or other relevant parties The subcontractor must not use ESFA funding to make bids for, or claims from, any European funding on their own behalf or on our behalf. They must not use payments made by ESFA as match funding for ESF projects.