Career developmentWe offer our researchers excellent career development by the Research Concordat
- The HR Excellence in Research logo tells researchers that an institution is committed to supporting their careers and can give them confidence about moving to a new institution.
To support the career development of researchers, we:
- recognise the importance of recruiting, selecting and retaining researchers with the highest potential to achieve excellence
- value our researchers as key components to our research excellence
- equip and support researchers to be adaptable and flexible in the research environment
- believe in the importance of personal and career development and life-long learning
- share the responsibility for their personal and career development, and life-long learning
- promote equality and diversity in all aspects of recruitment and career management
- undertake regular reviews to monitor progress of attracting and sustaining research careers
Research Training Calendar
We offer a range of training courses, interactive workshops and inspiring lectures throughout the year. All our research and enterprise events are mapped to the Research Development Framework (RDF) to support your development and research activities. The RDF is a nationally recognised framework which describes the knowledge, behaviour and attributes of successful researchers.
Check out our full programme of events below. Spaces get booked up fast so make sure you register in advance. We cover everything from how to access research funding, to social media and writing for publications.
If you're a new researcher, don't miss our induction session.
The Research Concordat
In 2000, LSBU introduced the Research Concordat through its publication, 'Implementing the Research Concordat at London South Bank University'. The purpose of this document was to install procedures for the recruitment, training and well-being of Contract Researchers, with four basic principles in a revised Concordat Implementation Plan:
- Contract Researchers are central to the further development of research culture at LSBU
- researchers should be engaged in their personal development, reviewed annually in an annual appraisal (Annex 1)
- researchers should be guided and mentored by an appropriate person during their time at LSBU
- appropriate training and development should be made available to Contract Researchers
In 2013, a Concordat Working Group (now renamed the Researcher Development Group) was set up to ensure alignment with the Concordat. Through extensive consultation with researchers and other key stakeholders, an action plan was used for a major review. It sets out existing practices and identifies actions that are required to embed them. The Researcher Development Group meets three times a year to ensure its delivery, and to oversee the development of research staff at LSBU
- Background document to LSBU's 2014 Action Plan (PDF File 298 KB)
- Gap Analysis and Action Plan 2014 (PDF File 193 KB)
- Action Plan 2016-2018 (PDF File 74 KB)
- HR Excellence in Research Award: Two Year Internal Review Progress Report (PDF File 97 KB)
- Implementation Two-Year Review – April 2016 (PDF File 505 KB)
- Implementation Four-Year Review - April 2018 (PDF File 341 KB)
- Action Plan 2018-2022 (PDF File 313 KB)
- HR Excellence in Research Award: Four-Year External Review Report (2018) (PDF File 189 KB)
For comments and suggestions, please email Nonia Jeroh, Researcher Development Officer.