Fees and funding

From affordable government loans to scholarships - we can help you sort your finances

Whether you’ve already applied to university or are still considering it, it is important you understand your finances and how to make them go further.

If you’re unsure whether you are classed as a Home or International (Overseas) student, you can check on the gov.uk website. If you’re an international student, please click on the relevant button below. If you’re a Home student, please read on. You can also take a look at our apprenticeships, employer sponsored and scholarships routes.

If you are an International student looking to kickstart your global career at LSBU, our new LSBU Future Global Graduate Awards could help you benefit from the high-quality, career focused education that LSBU offers. Find out more about our Global Graduate Awards here.

Tuition fees and loans


At LSBU, we’ve set our tuition fee for Home undergraduates starting on full-time courses at £9,250. If this is your first degree you can apply for a student loan to cover tuition fee costs from Student Finance England. You can only apply for a loan for a second undergraduate full-time degree if it’s in nursing, midwifery or allied healthcare. For more information visit the The Funding Clinic website.You don’t have to wait until you have a confirmed university place in order to apply for a tuition fee loan – the sooner you apply, the sooner your application will be processed.


Our fees for part-time students are provided on each course page. If this is your first degree you can apply for a loan if you complete at least 25% of the full-time course load in each year. Find out more on the gov.uk website.

Student Finance England

Apply to Student Finance England (SFE) for your loan and they will pay us direct. SFE will send you a Financial Notification setting out your entitlements - you'll need this document with you for your online enrolment at the university. Any amount of tuition fee you do not borrow from SFE must be paid at your online enrolment when you start at university.

If you don’t need a loan for your tuition fees you must pay the university direct.

Maintenance costs and loans

Home students may also be entitled to help with covering their living costs. Apply for a maintenance loan from SFE and it could help you pay for accommodation, travel, food, books and entertainment. EU students should check the gov.uk website to see if they're eligible as well.

The maximum loan to cover living costs in 2023/24 for LSBU's full academic 31-week year is:

  • £13.022 - for students studying in London and living away from their family home
  • £8,400 - for students living at their family home
  • £4,221 - if you’re 60 or over on the first day of the first academic year of your course

Students enrolling on a part-time course of study can apply for a maintenance loan. How much you get depends on:

  • Where you live while studying
  • Your household income
  • Your course intensity

You can apply for a maintenance loan as a distance learning student if you can't attend your course in person because of a disability.

Top loan facts

If you start your course after 1 August 2023, you won’t be expected to make repayments to your student loan until after April 2026 at the earliest, even if you leave your course early.
You'll repay your loan automatically through your employer via the tax system. If you’re self-employed, you repay the student loan just like you repay tax - through HMRC’s Self-Assessment scheme.
Once you start repaying your loan it’s at a rate of 9% of what you earn over £25,000 (if employed in the UK). So if you earn £28,000 a year gross before tax, you’d only pay 9% on £3,000. That’s £270 a year.
If your income falls below £25,000, your repayments automatically stop. After 40 years, any remaining debt is written off.
Your loan won’t go on your credit file and it won’t affect your ability to get a mortgage or another loan.

For more details on repayments visit the Student Loans Company.

For more information on our tuition fees read our tuition fee regulations (PDF File 401 KB).

Prefer to chat to someone? Contact us via LSBU MyAccount or by using our Enquiry Form.

Extra support

If you have other circumstances that mean you need extra support to pay for your studies, such as a disability or you care for a child or adult, visit gov.uk for information or our student services student money advice page.

Further information and useful links

Possible fee changes

The university reserves the right to increase its fees in line with changes to legislation, regulation and any government guidance or decisions.

The fees for international students are reviewed annually and the university reserves the right to increase the tuition fees in line with the RPIX measure of inflation up to 4 per cent.

Where are my fees being spent?

University fees cover a broad range of costs to provide a university education. The £9,250 fee contributes to your academic tuition; academic support services; employability, internships and work placement support; wellbeing services; equipment and learning materials; technical support; IT and digital learning; and investment and maintenance in buildings and facilities.

Cost of living in London

We can help you make your budget go further so you can live your best London life

Find out more