On 31 May 2017, London South Bank University (LSBU) became one of more than 90 UK higher education and research institutions to pledge support for The Technician Commitment – a sector-wide, collaborative initiative led by The Science Council that aims to ensure visibility, recognition, career development and sustainability for technicians working in higher education and research, across all disciplines.
More than 35 universities and research institutions have already signed up to the commitment and pledged action against five key challenges affecting their technical staff:
- Visibility: ensuring technicians are visible both within and beyond the institution;
- Recognition: supporting technicians to gain recognition through registration;
- Development: enabling career progression for technicians through clear pathways;
- Sustainability: safeguarding technical skills across the organisation by utilising and developing expertise; and
- Impact: assessing the impact of actions to support the commitment.
Anthony Roberts, Head of Technical Support at LSBU said: “Our multidisciplinary technicians play a vital role in supporting teaching, research and enterprise at LSBU.
“The Technician Commitment is a great opportunity for us to work in partnership with the Science Council on such a timely initiative to safeguard, invest and continue to develop the skills and career opportunities for our technicians.”
Find out more about the Technician's Commitment.