Sport and Exercise Science Research Centre
Our world-class research into human functions and wellbeing promotes elite athletic performances and healthy lifestyles
Leader: Dr Katya Mileva, Associate Professor, Human Neurophysiology, School of Applied Sciences
Our mission is to improve knowledge and drive innovation for human performance in sport, physical activity and health. Central to this mission is the provision of inclusive research-led education and professional development.
We rank in the top 10 teams in the UK for research and teaching excellence in Sport and Exercise Science according to the combined results from the Teaching Excellence Framework 2017 and the Research Excellence Framework 2014.
Our research is consolidated into two multidisciplinary themes that address major scientific priorities and societal challenges:
- Mind and Motion focuses on the reciprocal interactions between perception, action and cognition and their implications in sport and exercise settings. In collaboration with national and international partners, our experts in sport psychology, direct perception and human movement science utilise behavioural and multidisciplinary methods to investigate the role of the environment in the development and maintenance of expert behaviour.
- Body and Movement focuses on understanding the human interaction with environmental factors, mechanical interventions and nutritional strategies underpinning elite sport, physical activity and health. Our experts in human physiology, biomechanics and nutrition team up with engineers, clinicians and industrial partners to generate impact for sports, rehabilitation, communities and healthy ageing.
Human Performance Centre
The affiliated Human Performance Centre is our commercial arm and delivers innovative science services under three branded themes.
- InnovateWell for Intellectual Property generation, product testing, evaluation and development;
- PerformWell for development and testing of tailor-made programmes for professional and recreational athletes, coaches and those wishing to initiate an active lifestyle;
- LiveWell for tailored lifestyle assessments, interventions and guidance.
22 June 2018The Working-Class Avant-Garde
22 June 2018BA Photography End of Year Show
23 June 2018BA Photography End of Year Show
23 June 2018University Open Day
24 June 2018BA Photography End of Year Show
25 June 2018Social Sciences Taster Day
25 June 2018BA Photography End of Year Show
26 June 2018Urban, Environment and Leisure Studies Taster Day
26 June 2018Law Taster Day
27 June 20182018 Architecture Show
Ex-smokers might be better off with high rather than low nicotine e-cigs
18 June 2018
LSBU students provide solutions for the local business community
14 June 2018
Ground-breaking report shows gangs are more money than territory-orientated
5 June 2018
Another solid rise for LSBU in league tables
1 June 2018
LSBU wins Partnership of the Year with St Mungo’s at the Student Nursing Times Award 2018
21 May 2018
How black nurses were vital to our health service even before Windrush, a talk by Stephen Bourne
17 May 2018
Remodelling crowd medical services in the English football league, a study by LSBU and Millwall Football Club
4 May 2018
Product Design students deliver creative Airlander concepts
3 May 2018
London South Bank University enters top 100 League in Complete Universities Guide
25 April 2018