Sport and Exercise Science Research Centre
Our world-class research into human functions and wellbeing promotes elite athletic performances and healthy lifestyles
Leader: Dr Katya Mileva, Associate Professor, Human Neurophysiology, School of Applied Sciences
Our mission is to improve knowledge and drive innovation for human performance in sport, physical activity and health. Central to this mission is the provision of inclusive research-led education and professional development.
We rank in the top 10 teams in the UK for research and teaching excellence in Sport and Exercise Science according to the combined results from the Teaching Excellence Framework 2017 and the Research Excellence Framework 2014.
Our research is consolidated into two multidisciplinary themes that address major scientific priorities and societal challenges:
- Mind and Motion focuses on the reciprocal interactions between perception, action and cognition and their implications in sport and exercise settings. In collaboration with national and international partners, our experts in sport psychology, direct perception and human movement science utilise behavioural and multidisciplinary methods to investigate the role of the environment in the development and maintenance of expert behaviour.
- Body and Movement focuses on understanding the human interaction with environmental factors, mechanical interventions and nutritional strategies underpinning elite sport, physical activity and health. Our experts in human physiology, biomechanics and nutrition team up with engineers, clinicians and industrial partners to generate impact for sports, rehabilitation, communities and healthy ageing.
Human Performance Centre
The affiliated Human Performance Centre is our commercial arm and delivers innovative science services under three branded themes.
- InnovateWell for Intellectual Property generation, product testing, evaluation and development;
- PerformWell for development and testing of tailor-made programmes for professional and recreational athletes, coaches and those wishing to initiate an active lifestyle;
- LiveWell for tailored lifestyle assessments, interventions and guidance.
23 August 2018CIPD courses at LSBU information evening
27 September 2018Dr Rami Ranger CBE Annual Enterprise Lecture
1 October 2018Graduation Ceremony - School of The Built Environment and Architecture; School of Engineering
6 October 2018University Open Day
15 October 2018Graduation Ceremony - School of Arts and Creative Industries; School of Applied Sciences; School of Law and Social Sciences
19 October 2018A season of Shakespeare: A Midsummer Night’s Dream
20 October 2018A season of Shakespeare: A Midsummer Night’s Dream
29 October 2018Graduation Ceremony - School of Business
31 October 2018Extended Project Support Programme
5 November 2018Graduation Ceremony - School of Health and Social Care
LSBU experts conclude that Heliport noise could be a danger to health
14 August 2018
LSBU awarded Gold standard for supporting armed forces community
8 August 2018
Former MP and minister appointed University Chancellor
1 August 2018
Two student teams reach Engineering Design Challenge National Final
9 July 2018
LSBU academic chosen as one of the top figures in NHS history
3 July 2018
Academic wins award for pioneering research on kidney care
29 June 2018
Ex-smokers might be better off with high rather than low nicotine e-cigs
18 June 2018
LSBU students provide solutions for the local business community
14 June 2018
Ground-breaking report shows gangs are more money than territory-orientated
5 June 2018