Sport and Exercise Science Research Centre
Our world-class research into human functions and wellbeing promotes elite athletic performances and healthy lifestyles
Leader: Dr Katya Mileva, Associate Professor, Human Neurophysiology, School of Applied Sciences
Our mission is to improve knowledge and drive innovation for human performance in sport, physical activity and health. Central to this mission is the provision of inclusive research-led education and professional development.
We rank in the top 10 teams in the UK for research and teaching excellence in Sport and Exercise Science according to the combined results from the Teaching Excellence Framework 2017 and the Research Excellence Framework 2014.
Our research is consolidated into two multidisciplinary themes that address major scientific priorities and societal challenges:
- Mind and Motion focuses on the reciprocal interactions between perception, action and cognition and their implications in sport and exercise settings. In collaboration with national and international partners, our experts in sport psychology, direct perception and human movement science utilise behavioural and multidisciplinary methods to investigate the role of the environment in the development and maintenance of expert behaviour.
- Body and Movement focuses on understanding the human interaction with environmental factors, mechanical interventions and nutritional strategies underpinning elite sport, physical activity and health. Our experts in human physiology, biomechanics and nutrition team up with engineers, clinicians and industrial partners to generate impact for sports, rehabilitation, communities and healthy ageing.
Human Performance Centre
The affiliated Human Performance Centre is our commercial arm and delivers innovative science services under three branded themes.
- InnovateWell for Intellectual Property generation, product testing, evaluation and development;
- PerformWell for development and testing of tailor-made programmes for professional and recreational athletes, coaches and those wishing to initiate an active lifestyle;
- LiveWell for tailored lifestyle assessments, interventions and guidance.
19 October 2018Black History Month at LSBU Launch Event
19 October 2018A season of Shakespeare: A Midsummer Night’s Dream
20 October 2018A season of Shakespeare: A Midsummer Night’s Dream
25 October 2018London Primary Care Quality Academy Workshop
29 October 2018Graduation Ceremony - School of Business
30 October 2018Non-Medical Prescribing CPD Study Day
31 October 2018Extended Project Support Programme
5 November 2018Graduation Ceremony - School of Health and Social Care
8 November 2018'ResearchToday!' Curiosity in the experiential consumption of the unknown
10 November 2018University Open Day
Hollywood actor David Oyelowo awarded honorary doctorate by London South Bank University
15 October 2018
LSBU’s Clarence Centre celebrates five years supporting university and industry collaboration
27 September 2018
LSBU wins ‘University of the Year for Graduate Employment’ for an unprecedented second year running
24 September 2018
London South Bank University wins national awards for teaching excellence
17 September 2018
Law students reach finals weekend in national competition
30 August 2018
London South Bank first UK University to offer Architecture Degree Apprenticeships
24 August 2018
Level 4 and 5 qualifications vital to fill national skills gap, says LSBU's Vice-Chancellor
23 August 2018
Lambeth College joins LSBU
22 August 2018
LSBU experts conclude that Heliport noise could be a danger to health
14 August 2018