Associate Professor, Advanced Nursing
Telephone:020 7815 6751
School/Division:Health and Social Care / Primary and Social Care
Katrina Maclaine started her nursing career by undertaking the BSc (Hons) Nursing Studies at King's College, University of London. She was soon attracted to the autonomy of primary care, and initially worked as a Practice Nurse in a General Practice in East London. The opportunity to advance her practice was provided by the development of the Nurse Practitioner Diploma at the Royal College of Nursing (RCN) Institute which she completed in 1994.
Katrina has worked as a Nurse Practitioner within three General Practices in Newham East London and developed a particular interest in identifying and supporting patients with anxiety and depression.
She was invited to teach aspects of the programme soon after qualifying as a Nurse Practitioner and later became the Course Director of the RCN accredited BSc (Hons) Nurse Practitioner (Primary Health Care) programme at London South Bank University (LSBU) in August 2000.
She is now a Principal Lecturer in Advanced Nursing at LSBU and supports the development of advanced clinical and professional skills within the range of ANP programmes.
Katrina spent five years working on a consultancy basis as the RCN Nurse Practitioner Adviser, providing expert advice to the membership on matters relating to Nurse Practitioners, and lobbying both nationally and internationally for regulation and greater recognition of the Nurse Practitioner role in all health care settings in the UK.
She is a founder member of the Association for Advanced Nursing Practice Educators (AANPE) which currently has members from 49 Higher Education Institutions.
During 2010 she was part of the Department of Health (England) steering group to develop a position statement on Advanced Level nursing. In 2011 she participated in the ongoing Nursing & Midwifery Council (NMC) discussions regarding regulation of advanced nursing practice in the UK. In 2012 she was a member of the NHS London Steering Group, establishing a framework for Advanced Nursing Careers.
- MSc Healthcare [Commended], Kingston University, London (2008)
- Post Graduate Certificate Education (Health Professions), NMC Registered Teacher (1999)
- Nurse Practitioner Diploma, RCN (1994)
- ENB 901 Family Planning, Margaret Pyke Centre, London (1992)
- Diploma in Asthma Care, Asthma Training Centre/RCGP, Warwick (1992)
- BSc (Hons) Nursing Studies [First class], King's College, University of London (1989)
- Registered Nurse, King's College, London (1989)
Between August 2002 and September 2007, Katrina was on a (one day a week) secondment to Royal College of Nursing to act as their Nurse Practitioner Adviser. She provided expert advice to the membership on matters relating to Nurse Practitioners, and lobbying both nationally and internationally for regulation and greater recognition of the Nurse Practitioner role in all health care settings in the UK.
Katrina leads the module "Leadership and Service Development for Advanced Nurse Practitioners" and provides input to a range of clinical assessment and leadership modules across the School of Health and Social Care.
She is experienced in developing OSCEs (Objective Strutured Clinical Examination) for the assessment of advanced level nurses.
- November 2001 - present: Founding Committee Member, Association of Advanced Nursing Practice Educators (AANPE) [Re-elected March 2013]
- January 2006 - present: Member of RCN Accredited Nurse Practitioner Programme providers group
- June 2012: "Advanced nursing practice: Update" Plenary presentation, Advanced Summer School, Practitioner Associates Ltd, London
- September 2011: "The Nurse Practitioner: An Evolving Role", Out of Hours and Unscheduled Primary Care Medical Protection Society Conference, London
- June 2011: "Advanced nursing practice: Update" Plenary presentation, Advanced Summer School, Practitioner Associates Ltd, London
- June 2010: "Advanced nursing practice: Update", Plenary presentation, Advanced Summer School, Practitioner Associates Ltd, London
- March 2010: "Advanced Nurse Practitioners - current issues in the UK", Workshop, London Medical Committee (LMC) General Practice Nursing Conference, London
- June 2009: "Headlines for Advanced Nurse Practitioners", Plenary presentation, Advanced Summer School, Practitioner Associates Ltd, London
- November 2008: "Turning your idea into reality" Workshop, RCN Nurse Practitioner Association conference, Liverpool
- September 2008: "Advanced nursing update" invited speaker, Advanced Nursing Practice Seminar, Royal College of Nursing
- September 2007: "Advanced Nurse Practitioner regulation", Plenary presentation at RCN Nurse Practitioner Association conference, Coventry
- August 2007: "Advanced Nurse Practitioners - part of the solution" Plenary presentation at Scottish Health Practitioner annual conference, Aberdeen.
- June 2007: "Advanced nursing practice" Plenary presentation at Practitioner Associates summer conference, London
- Sept 2006: "Turning your idea into a service proposal" Workshop delivered at RCN Nurse Practitioner Conference, Harrogate
- Sept 2006: "Delivering effective health care : Nurse Practitioners in action - results of the Nurse Practitioner Association survey" Co presenter for key note presentation, delivered at RCN Nurse Practitioner Conference, Harrogate
- February 2004: "Embracing Nurse Practitioners within the post-registration regulatory framework" at NMC Post-Registration Framework conference
- Sept 2003: "Where do I stand? Consideration of the Accountability and Medico-legal issues that arise from the Nurse Practitioner role" Workshop delivered at RCN Nurse Practitioner Association, Lincolnshire
External professional activities
- April 2013: External Panel member Validation/RCN Accreditation Event for MSc Advanced Practice, University of Cumbria
- March - October 2012: Invited steering group member of NHS London Advanced Practice Career pathway group
- October 2007 - July 2011: Co-opted Educational representative, RCN Nurse Practitioner Association
- January 2010 - June 2010: Invited member of Department of Health (England) Advanced Practice Standard Steering Group, leading to publication of "Advanced Level Nursing - A Position Statement" in November 2010
- September 2007 - July 2009: Committee member of General Practice Nursing Education Advisory Group (formerly Working in Partnership Project [WIPP] Advisory Group)
- September 2007 - January 2008: Committee member of International Council of Nurses, Nurse Practitioner / Advanced Practice Nurse Network Policy & Standards Sub-Group
- March 2007 - September 2007: Project lead for revision of RCN guidance on Nurse Practitioner role, competencies and standards for education
- October 2006 - July 2007: Project lead for revision of RCN standards for Accreditation of Nurse Practitioner programmes
- 2006 Contributor to International Council of Nurses scoping exercise into global advanced nursing practice developments
- April/May 2006: Expert adviser for the RCN Nurse Practitioner Association Survey of Nurse Practitioners, conducted by Employment Research Ltd
- January 2006 - September 2007: Advanced practice adviser to RCN Future Nurse, Future Workforce Project Group
- November 2004: External Academic representative for RCN Accreditation Unit at Validation/Accreditation event, St Martin's College, Lancaster [BSc Nurse Practitioner, Neonatal Nurse Practitioner and Emergency Practitioner programmes].
- September 2002 - September 2007: External Examiner for BSc (Hons) Nurse Practitioner programme and Supplementary Prescribing course, University of Wales, Swansea
- July 2002 : External Academic representative for RCN Accreditation Unit at Validation/Accreditation event, Bournemouth University, [Revised BSc (Hons) Nurse Practitioner and new MSc Nurse Practitioner ].
- January 2002 - February 2002: Invited expert for revision of Standards and Criteria for RCN Accreditation of Nurse Practitioner programmes offered in collaborating Higher Education Institutions, for RCN Accreditation unit
- 1999 - 2007: RCN Expert "Definitions of Specialist Nurse Practice" [six monthly updating of information data base] RCN Direct, RCN Publishing Company
- 1998 - 2007: Subject Expert for award of Continuing Education Points (CEPs), RCN Accreditation Unit, Royal College of Nursing
- July 1997: External Examiner for OSCEs (Objective Structured Clinical Examinations), University of St Martin, Lancaster
- June 1997: External Examiner for OSCEs (Objective Structured Clinical Examinations), University of Swansea, Wales
- November 1997 - November 2001: Invited member of UKCC (United Kingdom Central Council) Higher Level of Practice Steering Group