London South Bank University graduate wins major National Engineering Award
A London South Bank University (LSBU) graduate, Thomas White, has won the Young Designer Award at the Plastics Industry Awards 2022 for his first-class work designing ‘Rita’, a smart pill dispenser using facial recognition to alert people with dementia when it’s time for their medication.
Of the four young designers shortlisted for the Plastics Industry Awards 2022, two were LSBU graduates (Thomas White and Daniele Di Paolo) who both studied BSc Product Design in LSBU’s School of Engineering. Thomas White was shortlisted for the Plastics Industry Awards 2022 for designing ‘Rita’, a smart pill dispenser using facial recognition to alert people with dementia when it’s time for their medication. Daniele Di Paolo was shortlisted for the Plastics Industry Awards 2022 for designing 'Cirrus’, a portable device to tackle stress.
The other two shortlisted people for the Young Designer Award were a designer from global agency, Design Higgins and a student from Edinburgh Napier University. The Plastics Industry Awards 2022 are: ‘dedicated to rewarding innovation and exceptional performance’ and ‘acknowledge the best companies and the best people in the market.’
Professor Asa Barber, Dean of LSBU’s School of Engineering, said, "It’s fantastic that Thomas White who graduated this year from LSBU’s School of Engineering has won the Young Designer Award at the Plastics Industry Awards 2022. I’m incredibly proud that two talented LSBU graduates were shortlisted for their outstanding work designing a portable device to tackle stress and a smart dispenser using facial recognition to help people with dementia take their medication.
“Thomas White’s Young Designer Award win is another example of success achieved by LSBU students as they learn the advanced skills they need to build successful careers."
LSBU Engineering School students and staff have now won eight national awards for their work in 2022:
- 18 November 2022: Young Designer Award at the Plastics Industry Awards 2022 won by Thomas White.
- 5 July 2022: IET Prize 2022 winner for exceptional performance by Electrical Engineering and Power Electronics student, Callum Lecarpentier.
- 1 July: 2022 Design Innovation in Plastics highly commended awards for Daniele Di Paolo, Dimitri McGrath-Karvelis & Daniel Warren.
- 30 June 2022: J&E Hall Gold Medal awarded to Professor Graeme Maidment.
- 21 April 2022: CIBSE Journal awards, winner of the ‘Most effective delivery of material’ award, Graeme Maidment.
- 6 April 2022: World Sustainable Energy Days Award - winner of Best Young Energy Efficiency Researcher, Henrique Lagoeiro.
- 17 March 2022: ACR News Award – winner of Environmental Initiative of the Year, Graeme Maidment.
- 17 January 2022: Innovation Practice Design Award, two LSBU Engineering students won bronze & excellent awards.