Armed Forces Covenant
We support the Armed Forces Community and honour the Armed Forces Covenant.
The Armed Forces Covenant is a promise from the nation to those who serve. It says we will do all we can to ensure they are treated fairly and not disadvantaged in their day-to-day lives. This includes offering injured servicemen and women and bereaved families extra support where appropriate.
The University has achieved the Armed Forces Covenant Gold Award, which acknowledges the amount of support we've demonstrated in supporting the needs of the military community.
Through their Covenant, the University will:
- Support the employment of veterans, young and old through the Career Transition Partnership (CTP) and veterans association to advertise our vacancies.
- Support our employees who choose to be members of the Reserve Forces, including accommodating their training and deployment where possible. Employees who are required to attend military training and annual deployment exercises will be granted 15 days with pay in addition to normal leave entitlement.
- Offer a degree of flexibility in granting leave for service parents, spouses and partners before, during and after an operational deployment.
- Recognise military skills and qualifications when recruiting.
- Offer support to local cadet units, by encouraging employees to volunteer using their discretionary voluntary leave of up to 5 days.
- Offer work experience and job shadowing opportunities for cadets at LSBU, managed through our Employability Service.
- Provide an internal staff and student network for those who fall into the scope of the Armed Forces Community including families and spouses.
- Aim to promote Armed Forces Week to employees and students through communications, events, and encourage members of the Reserve Forces to wear their uniform on Armed Forces and Reservist Day.
- Invite representatives of the Armed Forces Community to Careers and Recruitment Fairs and events for employees and students such as Women’s Day and wellbeing events.
- Hold a remembrance service annually on Armistice Day to honour members of the Armed Forces, who have died in the line of duty.
- Provide sports facilities through our Academy of Sport by offering discounted health assessments, gym membership and referrals to The British School of Osteopathy for the Armed Forces Community, including families and spouses, employees, students and residents from the Boroughs of Southwark, Lambeth and Lewisham. Any health assessment completed where actions are arising, the Academy of Sport will offer a further 50% off the personal programme of support.
- Provide discounted junior membership for Cadets to our Academy of Sport.
- Support Armed Forces Community charities through events during Raising and Giving (RAG) week and Armed Forces Week.
- Aid Armed Forces recruitment efforts by matching Armed Forces employment gaps to current LSBU undergraduate and postgraduate degrees, through recruitment events managed by the Employability Service.
- Endeavour to work with the Armed Forces Community to offer teaching opportunities to our students across multiple disciplines and build on the work currently undertaken through our Occupational Health and Workplace Health Degrees.
- Our Pro Vice-Chancellor is a member of the University of London Military Education Committee (MEC) and will be fully engaged in their activities to serve as a single point of contact to represent the views of MECs to the Ministry of Defence (MOD) and as a channel of information between the universities and the MOD.
- Work closely with military families whose children attend LSBU’s associated FE colleges, local schools, sixth forms and University Technical College Years 10-12 to ensure we are providing them preferential access opportunities to Higher Education.
- Honour Enhanced Learning Credits (ELCs) across a range of LSBU courses.
- Commit to support the Armed Forces Community including Cadets, Spouses and families with developing their enterprise skills either through access to our internal entrepreneurship events or through our wider external enterprise partners including European funded initiatives.
For more information please contact email@example.com.
25 July 2019CIPD courses at LSBU information evening
5 October 2019University Open Day
7 October 2019School of Business Graduation Ceremony 2019
14 October 2019Graduation Ceremony: School of Arts and Creative Industries; School of Applied Sciences; School of Law and Social Sciences
28 October 2019LSBU Graduations 2019: School of the Built Environment; School of Engineering
4 November 2019School of Health and Social Care Graduation Ceremony 2019
9 November 2019University Open Day
Drama graduates perform at Kingston's International Youth Arts Fringe Festival
8 July 2019
Design students win 2019 PVC Redesigned competition
5 July 2019
Bakery students achieve great success at the Alliance of Bakery Students and Trainees Conference 2019
3 July 2019
LSBU first UK university to launch fully chartered town planner apprenticeship scheme
27 June 2019
Engineering the Future: Two teams of LSBU students make it to Design Challenge National Finals
27 June 2019
LSBU celebrates wealth of local business talent at Southwark Business Awards Gala Finale
18 June 2019
Creative Technologies students celebrate work at End of Year Show
14 June 2019
LSBU’s Professor Alison Leary awarded MBE in Queen's Birthday Honours List 2019
14 June 2019
Lauren Webster, student at LSBU, wins at Women in Property Awards for the South East
12 June 2019