National Bakery SchoolOur reputation speaks for itself - founded in 1894, we’re the oldest bakery school in the world
As a dynamic and influential school with an international reputation for industry-informed courses, our students are well placed to benefit from both our fantastic sophisticated facilities and our extensive industrial networks.
Our courses combine theoretical and practical learning to equip our students to meet the challenges offered by the food industry. We cover all aspects of food from nutrition to new product development, from sustainability to sensory analysis, and from hygiene to legislation and quality assurance.
Through our industrial and professional links, we ensure our courses are current and have a real impact on our students’ future employability. Field trips and visiting practitioners mean students receive industry input first hand.
For more information, search our degree courses.
Our bakery courses are developed in partnership with some of the profession’s major institutions. Among these are the Worshipful Company of Bakers – the City of London's second oldest recorded guild, dating back to 1155.
Many of our graduates look to build their own business and choose LSBU for our strong entrepreneurial interests. The National Bakery School has helped students secure placements with notable names in the baking industry such as Hovis, Harrods and Prime Bake. Read more about Student Enterprise at LSBU.
Our undergraduate and postgraduate degrees combine theoretical and practical learning to equip our students to meet the challenges offered by the wider food industry. Courses cover all aspects of food: from nutrition to new product development, from bakery management to sustainability, and from hygiene to legislation and quality assurance. PhD research students are supported by a supervisor, an expert in the field.
The National Bakery School offers a range of technical bakery courses designed to provide you with the skills and practical experience needed to reach your career goals.View course
As a dynamic and influential School with an international reputation for industry-informed courses, our students are well placed to benefit from both our fantastic sophisticated facilities and our extensive industrial networks.
The National Bakery School has places for 60 undergraduate students, who spend a minimum of 50% of their course in practical learning environments.
Our Bakery School, complete with brand new facilities, promotes the best learning, and focuses on employability for the future:
- Two bakery rooms with proving ovens, baking ovens, mixers, work benches and pastry brake – a specialist device with contra-rotating rollers that works pastry and reduces its thickness
- A practical study room dedicated to the production of fermented goods
- A practical study room for the delicate process of chocolate making and tempering machines to keep the chocolate at a perfect temperature for handling
- A practical study room for confectionary making, the production of gateaux and the opportunity for students to practise finishing techniques
- A multi-media lecture theatre
The London Food Centre
The London Food Centre is our platform for enterprise and consultancy. It offers fantastic opportunities for students to engage with potential food industry employers.
- LSBU is committed to equal access across campus. Read our National Bakery School access guide on DisabledGo to see a summary of the School's accessibility and key features.