Every child deserves to enjoy their sport. This workshop will raise your awareness of the telltale signs of abuse, and give you the tools and confidence you need to deal with any issues sensitively, appropriately and effectively should the need ever arise in your coaching career. Newly updated to address the impact of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012.
This workshop is a 'Minimum Standards for Active Coaches' requirement for many governing bodies of sport. The 'Minimum Standards for Active Coaches' are seen as the basic standards every coach needs to meet to carry out their role safely and effectively.
This course is held monthly within LSBU Active's facilities and taught by exceptional tutors with years of industry experience. Group sizes are between 6 and 20.
You will cover:
- How to identify and recognise good coaching practice and the implications for your coaching
- How to explore your values and feelings in relation to child abuse, and recognise their potential impact on your response
- How to recognise and respond to possible signs of child abuse
- Appropriate action if concerns about a child arise
London South Bank University student union is located at 103 Borough Rd, London SE1 0AA.
If you are visiting our Southwark Campus, you may wish to use our downloadable campus map (PNG File 466 KB). For information on accessibility, see our DisabledGo access guides. See our location page for more details.
Register your interest
Entry Level Requirements
You must be 16 or over to attend this course. Any course candidates below the age of 18 year old must be accompanied by an adult on the day of the course.
Choose your country
Select country here:
If you have already completed some studies at another university, we may be able to consider you for advanced entry. Please see our advanced entry page for more information.
The price of the course is £60.
All upcoming face to face courses have been cancelled due to the current government guidelines on Covid-19. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest for future courses.
To book your place on the course, download and complete the booking form and return by email to email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted on a first come first served basis, your place will only be confirmed on receipt of full payment and completion of the application form.Once you have returned the booking form, you can pay by card at our online store or come into the LSBU Sports Centre to pay in person.
12 September 2019
14 October 2019
09 November 2019
11 December 2019
21 January 2020 *fully booked*
27 February 2020
28 March 2020
27 April 2020 *cancelled*
19 May 2020 *cancelled*
17 June 2020 *cancelled*
11 July 2020 *cancelled*
Prepare to start
All participants will be given details about the course prior to attending, including; the time, location and course structure of the day.
At LSBU, we want to set you up for a successful career. During your studies – and for two years after you graduate – you’ll have access to our Employability Service, which includes:
- Free employability workshop and events for student all year round, more details can be found on our event section.
- Online board where you can see a wide range of placements: part-time, full-time or voluntary. You can also drop in to see our Job Shop advisers, who are always available to help you take the next step in your search.
- LSBU Careers Hub offering group workshops on CVs, interview techniques and support, guidance on future careers, as well as loads of career resources, connecting you with employers, exciting events, 1-1 support and relevant workshops.
Our Student Enterprise team can also help you start your own business and develop valuable entrepreneurial skills.