HSK 3 HSK 3 (Mandarin Chinese)
HSK 3 (Mandarin Chinese) is a 70 hour part-time short course ideal for beginners looking to learn Mandarin. This is the third of six HSK courses. We offer HSK certificates levels 1-6 - see further information on the CITCM website.
HSK level 3 enables you to learn an additional 300 words to those learnt in HSK level 1 and 2: You will be able to communicate in Chinese at a basic level and talk about your daily, academic and professional life, such as visiting doctors, sports, entertainment, describing appearance and personalities, etc. Chinese characters will also be introduced.
HSK is an international standardised exam that tests and rates Chinese language proficiency. There are six test levels and test takers who pass the six HSK exams will be able to progress from being able to master simple Chinese phrases to effectively express themselves both orally and on paper. Obtaining the HSK 3 certificate gives you an internationally recognised qualification of competency in Chinese.
This course is delivered by the Confucius Institute for Traditional Chinese Medicine (CITCM) which promotes Chinese culture and Chinese Medicine by providing a range of workshops and courses.
The HSK qualification is an internationally recognised examination scheme and gives employers evidence of your linguist abilities in Mandarin Chinese. We offer HSK certificates levels 1-6 - see further information on the CITCM website.
We are University of the Year for Graduate Employment for the second year in a row - The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018, 2019.
At LSBU, we want to set you up for a successful career. During your studies – and for two years after you graduate – you’ll have access to our Employability Service, which includes:
- An online board where you can see a wide range of placements: part-time, full-time or voluntary. You can also drop in to see our Job Shop advisers, who are always available to help you take the next step in your search.
- Our Careers Gym offering group workshops on CVs, interview techniques and finding work experience, as well as regular presentations from employers across a range of sectors.
Our Student Enterprise team can also help you start your own business and develop valuable entrepreneurial skills.
Teaching and learning
- Two hours contact teaching per week
- Seven hours self-study per week
- There is no coursework but students are given exercises and worksheets to help them with their self-study. There is an examination which tests reading and listening skills
- Examinations are run every month to make it flexible for the learner, if you need more time to revise you can defer the examination until the following month
HSK level 1 and 3 at CITCM is a very exciting and fun way to learn Mandarin. The teaching is excellent and prepares you well for your HSK exams as well as teaching you about Chinese culture.Farah Adam,
I find that the classes are informative, helpful in understanding Chinese culture and traditions. The teacher encourages the class to work well together and we all seem to progress. I feel the class is helping me understand acupuncture more and I am glad I started the course.Barbara Thurogood,
You must have completed HSK 2 to progress onto HSK 3.
How to apply
You are able to start studying in January, April or September.
For further details, please see the CITCM website.
Prepare to start
You will be given details about the course prior to starting and welcomed to the University.
Fees and funding
The cost of the course is £630 plus an exam fee.
LSBU students are eligible for a discount and pay £350 for the course.