Exploring inter-ethnic violence and children's rights in the school environmentOver two years, an international research team focused on exploring interethnic and intercultural conflicts and violence amongst children and young people that manifests in schools
This EU-funded project is being contributed to by LSBU's Centre for Cross Curricular Initiatives (CCCI).
Working on the project are partners in Italy, Austria, Cyprus and Slovenia and it's being led by the University of Primorska, Slovenia. The project involves a comparative review of research, policies and legislation across partner countries and quantitative and qualitative research in primary and secondary schools across four regions within each partner country.
The general goal of the project proposal is to gain insight into the under-researched topic of interethnic violence in the school environment; the forms this violence takes (physical, psychological and symbolic violence), the extent of the phenomenon and to identify preventive measures and good practices.
A further aim of the project is to increase awareness and to fight against interethnic violence in the school environment and to implement children's rights with special attention to the rights of children from different ethnic and racial backgrounds.
The detail the project is looking to:
- analyse the scale of interethnic violence in schools
- analyse the nature of the phenomenon, including interpersonal violence and institutional violence
- compare the situation in different European countries
- prepare guidelines and good practices for schools and national authorities
- implement children's rights in general and rights of children from different ethnic backgrounds in particular to raise awareness about the research phenomenon among the general public.
- The final objectives of the project are to increase awareness of and fight against interethnic violence in the school environment and to implement children's rights with special attention to the rights of children from different cultural, ethnic and racial backgrounds
Partners to the project
This cross-Europe project involves the CCCI as part of LSBU's School of Arts and Creative Industries and the following European partners:
- the University of Primorska, Science and Research Centre of Koper (Slovenia) – who are leading the project
- the University of Vienna, Faculty of Social Sciences (Austria)
- the University of Trieste, Department of Social and Political Sciences (Italy)
- the European University Cyprus (Cyprus)
- and Associate partner: Government of the Republic of Slovenia, Ministry of Education and Sport (Slovenia)
To find out more search our People Finder for academics researching in the area of Education.