We accept a range of English language qualifications (PDF File 204 KB). Please contact the International Office for further details.
Foundation course requirements
- National Senior Certificate (NSC) with pass grades in relevant subjects
- IELTS 4.5 or equivalent
If your qualification is higher than this see our information for undergraduates or postgraduates.
Undergraduate course requirements
To apply for an undergraduate course at LSBU you need to have one of the following:
- A suitable UK foundation course (60% minimum)
- International Baccalaureate, (24 Points or above)
- A Level (Cambridge Overseas) at a suitable level
- National Senior Certificate may be considered for some courses, with higher grades.
And one of the following:
- IELTS 6.0 or equivalent
- NSC English Language level 5 or above
If your qualification is higher than this level please see the information for postgraduates.
Postgraduate course requirements
To apply for an undergraduate course at LSBU you need to hold the following:
- Bachelors Degree (Honours) in a suitable subject from a recognised university in South Africa. The majority of courses require a minimum grade of Second Class Honours Lower Division (or local equivalent).
And one of the following:
- English requirements are as follows: IELTS 6.5 or equivalent
- NSC English Language level 5 or above.
If your qualification is lower than this see our information for undergraduates.
How to apply
Representatives in South Africa
If you would like assistance with your application please contact our agent in South Africa: Imfundo Abroad.
As a South African national you will need to obtain a student visa or equivalent to be able to study with us at LSBU. The main route for students to come to the UK to study is the Tier 4 General student visa. We have information about visas and immigration on our website and guidance on the requirements. It is also important to refer to the information and Tier 4 Policy Guidance which is available on the Home Office website. You should also check the visa processing times if you are applying from South Africa.
You may be able to apply for a short-term study visa if you are coming to do a course of 6 months or less. For more information, please see our visas and immigration page and the Home Office website. You can also check the visa processing times if you are applying from South Africa.
LSBU in South Africa
Our International Officers Francis Glover and Aissata Edmondson are responsible for applications from South Africa. Throughout the year, we do travel overseas and these events are shown in the What's on section of our website. If you have any questions regarding LSBU, our courses or applying, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any further questions regarding the application process or questions regarding courses please contact our International Enquiries Team via email email@example.com or phone +44 (0)20 7815 6189.