Centre for Biomedical Engineering and Communications (BiMEC)
We conduct advanced research on a broad range of biomedical engineering, energy, wireless communications, imaging and information technologies
BiMEC, founded in January 2011, provides advanced research and training in a wide range of areas including energy consumption reduction techniques using radar and wireless sensor networks, biomedical applications with an understanding for smart city considerations, open-based networking and media/content convergence, and skin bioengineering and non-intrusive monitoring using ultra wideband (UWB) technology.
Our current projects and investigated topics are:
- assistive technology for the elderly and/or disabled using UWB devices
- digital signal processing for hearing aid development
- adaptive signal processing and prediction for chaotic real data
- noise cancellation in telecommunications radio channels
- breast and skin cancer detection and therapy using UWB image processing for medical applications
- wireless communications using UWB
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and ZigBee wireless technologies
- indoor radar – location sensing and tracking
- self-organising networks
- micro-loud systems
- wireless technologies for vegetation health testing
- big data mining and processing
- skin biotechnology using optical and capacitive sensors
Our key funded projects include:
- H2020-MSCA-IF (793449) UWB wearable apparatus for bone fracture imaging and recovering monitoring, £180K (2018-2020).
- Innovate UK Eartex, December 2017 £100K.
- KTP Innovate UK and Eartex 2 years, £100K.
- EPSRC grant: Modelling the MEchanics of Animal Whiskers (MMEAW), total grant: £460,715, LSBU: £304K.
- TSB grant: partners National Physical Laboratory, Marks and Spencer. UWB inspection of crop quality; PI (Academic): 100K to LSBU (October 2017).
- EPSRC (EP/K002473/1) Energy Efficiency in Buildings programme: DANCER (Digital Agent Networking for Customer Energy Reduction) received a budget of £911K for LSBU over 5 years (2012-2017).
- EPSRC/TSB funded project, "Energy Management and Analysis Exploiting Existing Building Management Systems Infrastructure and Data", EP/M506734/1 started in 2014. Total budget of £633K (about £250K LSBU share).
- EPSRC grant with UCL (LSBU part £230K) to electrospin novel piezo detectors.
- KTP, Machine Learning Based Platform to Improve Investment Readiness of Businesses Seeking for Funds, funded by Innovate UK and Fundsurfer Ltd, £109K, 2018.
- Consultancy, Machine-based Learning for Automatic Construction Cost Indexing, funded by the Royal Institution of Charted Surveyors, £75K, 2017.
- KTP, M&E Cost Life-cycle & Analytics, funded by Innovate UK and RICS, £151K, Academic supervisor, 2017.
- Skin bioengineering projects: Continuous Mean Arterial Pressure (cMAP), measurements, epiTherm Ltd, UK, Mobile skin measurement device, Biox Systems Ltd, UK, Digital spiky neuron network, Silicon Thoughts, UK, Capacitive skin imaging, Biox Systems Ltd, UK.
18 October 2018Drama and Performance Taster Evening with performance of A Midsummer's Nights Dream
19 October 2018Black History Month at LSBU Launch Event
19 October 2018A season of Shakespeare: A Midsummer Night’s Dream
20 October 2018A season of Shakespeare: A Midsummer Night’s Dream
25 October 2018London Primary Care Quality Academy Workshop
29 October 2018Graduation Ceremony - School of Business
30 October 2018Non-Medical Prescribing CPD Study Day
31 October 2018Extended Project Support Programme
5 November 2018Graduation Ceremony - School of Health and Social Care
8 November 2018'ResearchToday!' Curiosity in the experiential consumption of the unknown
Hollywood actor David Oyelowo awarded honorary doctorate by London South Bank University
15 October 2018
LSBU’s Clarence Centre celebrates five years supporting university and industry collaboration
27 September 2018
LSBU wins ‘University of the Year for Graduate Employment’ for an unprecedented second year running
24 September 2018
London South Bank University wins national awards for teaching excellence
17 September 2018
Law students reach finals weekend in national competition
30 August 2018
London South Bank first UK University to offer Architecture Degree Apprenticeships
24 August 2018
Level 4 and 5 qualifications vital to fill national skills gap, says LSBU's Vice-Chancellor
23 August 2018
Lambeth College joins LSBU
22 August 2018
LSBU experts conclude that Heliport noise could be a danger to health
14 August 2018