London South Bank University (LSBU) is committed to protecting people's rights and privacy in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA). The Act applies to all personal data; whether held on a computer or a similar automatic system or held as part of a structured manual filing system.
We hold personal data about individuals such as students, graduates, employees and others, defined as Data Subjects in the Act. In order to comply with the Act, information about individuals must be collected and used fairly, stored safely and securely and not disclosed to any third party unlawfully.
The University processes all the personal data it holds in accordance with the DPA and within the terms of our Notification to the Information Commissioner's Office.
Data Protection Policy
The University's Data Protection policy sets out the University's rules and guidelines relating to holding, processing and dealing with information, materials and data about living individuals by LSBU and its employees. It is designed to bring together the rights and obligations as set out in the Data Protection Act 1998 and current best practice based on the guidance and other publications of the Information Commissioner. Data Protection Policy (PDF 68KB)
The University's CCTV policy sets out the rules and guidelines for the closed circuit television (CCTV) systems installed at London South Bank University in accordance with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) and the Code of Practice (CCTV Code) issued by the Information Commissioner. The CCTV systems at LSBU are registered as part of the University's entry on the Data Protection register which is held by the Information Commissioner. CCTV Policy (PDF 62KB).
To complete certain university processes we require users of our website to submit their details into online forms so we can process their enquiries and personal information as efficiently as possible. The data collected on these forms is only used for the purposes of marketing and promoting LSBU. The data is not disclosed to any other person or organisation that is not associated with LSBU.
You will only receive an email or digital communicaction, such as SMS Text, from LSBU after making an enquiry to the University. If you choose to opt out these by following the instructions that accompany each email we will remove you from these communications.
Accessing your personal data
Data Protection enquiries:
Director of University Archives and Information Compliance
London South Bank University,
103 Borough Road,
London SE1 0AA
As a Data Subject you have the right to access personal data held about you on computer and in structured manual files by the University. If you are not the person who is the subject of the held data you do not have any right to access it unless you have written consent from the Data Subject with proof of both your identities ie copy of passport details.
The University is required to permit individuals to access their own personal data held by the University by submitting a Subject Access Request to the University.
The procedure is as follows:
- Subject Access Requests must be made in writing (this includes email) by the Data Subjects addressed to the Director of University Archives and Information Compliance, who is the University's Data Protection Officer.
- Data Subjects should provide enough information on themselves to make them clearly identifiable (for example student numbers).
- A Subject Access Request application form will be sent to the requestor by the Director of University Archives and Information Compliance.
- The form has to be completed in full and submitted together with proof of identity (for example, a copy of a passport).
- The Act permits Data Controllers to levy an administrative fee of £10. The amount should be made payable to "London South Bank University".
- The administrative fee should be received by the Director of University Archives and Information Compliance before any Subject Access Request is processed.
- In accordance with the Act, all Subject Access Requests will be dealt with within 40 calendar days.
- It is important that all personal information held by the University on an individual who has submitted a Subject Access Request is not subjected to any special amendment or deletion that would not otherwise have been made.
- The relevant information will be provided to the Data Subject confidentially either by registered mail or in person.
- Only those specific pieces of information to which exemption applies will be withheld.
- Data Subjects are always informed about the progress of their request, including any decision not to release any data or any reason(s) for delaying a response.
Publication Date: January 2010
Review Date: January 2015
Data Protection Notification
The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) maintains a public register of organisations that use personal data. Each organisation is obliged to notify the ICO with details of the types and purposes of personal data it processes.
London South Bank University is registered under the following references:
- London South Bank University - Z6533032
- London South Bank University Students' Union - Z7436913
- South Bank University Enterprises Ltd - Z7358971
Notification details can be accessed by searching the Data Protection Public Register.
Ask a question
Tel: 0800 923 8888
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7815 6100Get in touch
26 July 2017Safari Coproduction Conference
26 July 2017Drop-in session for CIPD approved courses
27 July 2017Post Graduate Perinatal Mental Health Nursing Open Morning
1 August 2017Clearing How To Apply Evening
1 August 2017Drop-in session for CIPD approved courses
17 August 2017Clearing Drop-In Advice Session
18 August 2017Clearing Drop-In Advice Session
19 August 2017Clearing Drop-In Advice Session
21 August 2017Drop-in session for CIPD approved courses
23 August 2017Clearing Drop-In Advice Session
Entrepreneurs share personal journeys at Dr Rami Ranger CBE enterprise lecture
19 July 2017
LSBU student invents a backpack that can save your life
18 July 2017
Have your say in the London heliport noise study
13 July 2017
Careers Support for Young People in Lambeth with the Big Careers Day and Big Apprenticeships Conference
11 July 2017
Team LSBU selected to visit Zhuhai for UK-China University Sports Week
10 July 2017
LSBU debuts ‘Love to Learn, Learn to Love’ Pride campaign at parade
10 July 2017
Renowned entrepreneurs to share journey to success in annual lecture
10 July 2017
LSBU’s Accounting and Finance leaps to 4th place in The Guardian's University League table
9 July 2017
Critical Thought conference comes to LSBU
27 June 2017