The Big Conversation - Living Kidney DonationLSBU are proud to host the 1st Black Living Kidney Donation event in collaboration with Gift of Living Donation and Guy's & St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust Register Now
About this event
We are bringing together Black living kidney donors, Black renal patients, their friends and family to talk about living kidney donation with a cross section of renal specialists from Guy’s Hospital and London South Bank University. We need to start having open conversations about living kidney donation in the black community so that more black patients affected by renal failure can benefit from having a living kidney transplant. People at the event will learn how to navigate the sensitive conversation of living donation with their loved ones.
Dela Idowu, the founder of Gift of Living Donation and Dr Refik Gokmen Consultant Nephrologist at Guy’s Hospital, will set the scene with explaining why we need to talk about living kidney donation in the Black community.
You will hear from a cross section of renal specialists, peer- educators, patients, living kidney donors, recipients of a living donor transplant, they will provide tips and useful suggestions on talking about living donation.
You will have the opportunity to share your views in group discussions and offer solutions on the topic as well as the chance to put your questions to our speakers and panel.
- Elvis Ngassa- Transplant Surgeon, Royal London Hospital
- Miri Vutabwarova -Clinical Nurse Specialist, Living Donation, Guy’s Hospital
- Nicola Thomas - Professor of Kidney Care, London South Bank University
- Hayley Armstrong - Living donor
- Eric Douglin- Living donor recipient
- Jaque Stone- Living donor
- Chair, Lisa Silas- Advanced Nurse Practitioner, Living Donation, Guy’s Hospital
- Dr Refik Gokmen- Consultant Nephrologist, Guy’s Hospital
- Anita Copley- Clinical Nurse Specialist, Living Donation, Guy’s Hospital
- Eunice Musa- Renal Dietitian, Gravesham NHS Trust
- Dr Sarah Afuwape- Principal Renal Health Psychologist, Royal Free hospital
- Asia Imedi - Lead Nurse Renal Transplantation, Royal Free Hospital
- Trevene Wilson -Transplant Recipient Co-ordinator, Guy’s Hospital
Who should attend? - Black patients waiting for a kidney transplant, friends and family members, health professionals.