About the SchoolThe Dean, Professor Craig Barker, introduces the School
We teach a range of courses across the social sciences from criminology to tourism, with a full range of socially-focused subjects in between including education and law. The focus of our research encompasses issues such as race, gender, pedagogy, international development and the urban environment.
The School is home to an award-winning Legal Advice Clinic and houses specialist teaching rooms to provide practice opportunities for our law and education students respectively. Our courses are accredited by relevant professional bodies and we facilitate the development of employability and other generally transferable skills.
Students are supported throughout their studies but encouraged to take responsibility for their own learning and development. We are an ambitious School that seeks to challenge students and staff to make a difference in the real world with a School-wide focus on concepts of "social justice" and "global responsibility".
Professor Craig Barker
School of Law and Social Sciences
Facts and figures
- No. 2 London University overall in Criminology (Guardian League Table, 2018)
- Our active Criminology society offers opportunities for guest speakers, trips, and social events
- Ranked No. 5 UK wide for overall satisfaction and learning opportunities in Planning (National Student Survey 2017)
- Our Law courses are ranked 13th in the UK (Guardian league table 2018)
- Our Legal Advice Clinic puts theory into practice, allowing students to develop professional confidence, case management experience and client care skills. Legal Advice Clinic staff member Sara Chandler was awarded an Honorary QC in 2016
- No. 1 London university for ‘Teaching Quality’ and ‘Research Quality’ for Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation and Tourism (Sunday Times League Table, 2017)
- No. 1 London university for 'Learning opportunities' and No. 2 for 'Learning community' for Education (National Student Survey, 2018)