Children's NursingWe offer our students unique opportunities for experience and development
If you aspire to become a children’s nurse or move into a specialist children’s nursing role, LSBU is the place to study. We are one of the largest providers of pre-registration children’s nursing courses in London.
Our students benefit from placements at world-renowned hospitals in London and the South East, including Evelina London Children’s Hospital and Great Ormond Street Hospital. Staff within the team are involved in research and practice development, with many also working in clinical practice. Our commitment to students’ development result in 99% of children’s nursing students going on to work or further study within 6 months of graduating (Destination of Leavers from Higher Education 2017/18).
- Pre-registration nursing (undergraduate)
- The first step to becoming a qualified nurse is to study a degree accredited by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC). All LSBU’s Nursing degrees are accredited by the NMC. As a successful graduate you will be able to apply and join the NMC Professional Register of Nurses. Once registered, you'll formally become a qualified nurse, certified to practice within the NHS.
- Pre-registration nursing (postgraduate)
- The pre-registration postgraduate diploma in nursing enables graduates from health and science based disciplines to gain professional registration in nursing on a fast track two-year course. The first step to becoming a qualified nurse is to study a degree or postgraduate diploma accredited by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC). All of LSBU's Nursing programmes are accredited by the NMC. As a successful graduate you will be able to apply and join the NMC Professional Register of Nurses. Once registered, you'll formally become a qualified nurse, certified to practice within the NHS
- Post-registration refers to a registered healthcare professional, who is qualified and is working as a nurse, or allied health professional etc. Post-registration courses are only suitable for those who are currently working as a healthcare professional.
50% of our training is delivered practically through on-site placements, which offer a vital part of a student's professional development. That's why we are so proud to partner with some of the very best Hospitals and Trusts, including Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust (GOSH). Find out more about Children's Nursing placements.
Careers in children's nursing
Children's nurses care for sick children and provide support to their families in hospitals and the community. Working in partnership with parents or carers, these nurses fully understand how to minimise the impact of illness or hospital admission on a child. Instead of treating them as miniature adults, they need to understand factors which complicate treatment and the levels of communication children have.
All of our individual course entries have specialist careers information. Browse children's nursing courses.
Continuing Personal and Professional Development (CPPD)
We have a Continuing Personal and Professional Development (CPPD) portfolio which includes a range of flexible programmes, modules, study days, e-learning and bespoke projects all meeting the needs of our service colleagues and underpinned by a robust research and practice-based culture.
Programmes are designed and implemented in collaboration with service colleagues supporting the development of a workforce to lead and innovate into the future.
Browse our online prospectus.
For further information download CPPD Frequently asked questions (PDF File 293 KB).