ResearchBringing new knowledge with a practical purpose
Research Centres and Groups
- Centre for Energy and Environment Research
- Centre for Advanced Materials
- Centre for Biomedical Engineering and Communications (BIMEC)
- Centre for Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Research
- Centre for Robotics
- Nathu Puri Institute for Engineering and Enterprise
LSBU is the top modern university in London for world-leading and internationally excellent research and Grade Point Average in General Engineering - Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014. 80% of this research has been awarded the highest quality ratings (4* or 3*) for its 'impact' (reach and significance).
Research case studies
Dr Misbahu Ladan Mohammed's PhD research has helped to improve epoxide production, making it more efficient and environmentally friendly.
LSBU research is helping Sellafield Ltd reduce the risks of hydrogen explosions in decommissioned nuclear plants.
Continued collaboration between LSBU and Biox, an LSBU start-up company, has resulted in technology that sets new standards in measuring changes to skin.
PhD candidate Marsha Maraj has developed a three-pronged approach to maximise flow rates in an environmentally friendly way.
Research degree programmes
The wide range of research activities in the School, together with the mix of academic staff, post-doctoral research fellows and visiting professors, allows us to offer a stimulating and diverse postgraduate environment. Read more about Research Degrees at LSBU.
Available PhD courses
- Chemical Process and Energy Engineering PhD
- Computing Science and Informatics PhD
- Electronic and Electrical Engineering PhD
- General Engineering PhD
- Mechanical Engineering PhD
- Production and Manufacturing Engineering PhD
Research community brochure
In this section
- About the School
- Subject areas and courses
- Student experience
- Undergraduate offer holders
- London South Bank Innovation Centre (LSBIC)
- Polymeric Materials Engineering, Research & Innovation Centre (PolyMERIC)
- Advanced Resin and Coating Technologies Innovation Centre (ARCTIC)
- Executive team
- Enterprise and business engagement
- Collaborations and partnerships
- Professional accreditation
- Twitter feed