Institute for Social Science ResearchThe ISSR coordinates activities and enhances the School's commitment to research
The ISSR coordinates research activities for LSBU's School of Law and Social Sciences. It was established to enhance the School's major commitment to research and continues to develop and maintain an international recognition for all its innovative research and educational activities.
London South Bank University (LSBU) is one of the most successful post-92 universities for research. This is strongly reflected in our performance in the latest Research Assessment Exercise RAE. There, three of the School's subject areas: Communication, Cultural and Media Studies; Psychology and Social Work, Social Policy and Administration had research rated as being of world-leading or internationally excellent quality in terms of originality, significance and rigour.
The ISSR houses research centres that have internationally recognised research profiles. Each centre acts as a hub for research development, activities and groups and is closely linked to one or more academic departments.
These centres drive forwards our research activities and profile of interdisciplinary research that draws on a range of subject, methodological and theoretical expertise. The institute offers research supervision in a wide variety of subject areas, within the broad areas of education, culture, psychology and social and policy research. The School of Law and Social Sciences is also recognised by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) for PhDs in the areas of sociology and social policy. Read more about research degrees with the ISSR.
Supportive and engaged research culture
We have a strong record of generating external income from a wide range of sources including Research Councils, international agencies, government and charities. Our research culture focuses on basic and applied research with 'real world' impact and applications and provides relevant and contemporary education for all of our students.
Our work is often interdisciplinary and collaborative, with strong national and international links. We work with professional bodies, businesses, charities, NGOs and academic communities in order to keep our research activities current and help shape progressive social change.
We are committed to providing a supportive research environment that helps students and staff. It's important to us that we:
- enhance abilities and realise research potential
- support staff develop research-led postgraduate courses and doctorate programmes
- enable staff to assist, encourage and reward students to take part in study and research activities that meet international standards in key areas
- encourage, assist and reward for scholarship
- facilitate, encourage and reward research-related activities in targeted areas of continuing growth and areas related to enterprise and innovation
The institute holds an annual ISSR Weeks Lecture. Find out more on the Weeks Centre webpage.
The ISSR Graduate School provides a focal point for the management and support of our PhD and Professional Doctorate programmes. LSBU research students are a vital part of our dynamic research culture and an essential element of the University's exciting intellectual environment. The ISSR Graduate School is part of the New London Graduate School, a consortium of five London universities.
The ISSR Graduate School has a full programme of support to offer its MPhil and PhD students. Read more about Research degrees: ISSR Graduate School. Then read about how Research Degrees are run at LSBU and how to apply.
In this section
- Photovoltaics workshop
- London Institute for Real Estate (LifRE)
- Children, Young People and Families Theme
- Health and Social Care Delivery Theme
- Community and Public Health Theme
- Workforce Innovation, Development and Education Theme
- Sport and Exercise Science Research Centre
- Centre for Cross Curricular Initiatives
- Developmental Disorders
- Memory in Settings
- Centre for Mathematics Education
- Centre for the Study of the Networked Image
- Smart Internet Technologies (SuITE)
- Applied and Developmental Cognition
- Investigative and Forensic Psychology
- Lived Experiences in Mental Health and Distress
- Teacher Education for Equity and Sustainability Network
- Centre for Media and Culture Research
- Institute for Social Science Research
- Centre for Educational Research
- Centre for Research in Psychology
- Weeks Centre for Social and Policy Research
- Families and Social Capital Research Group
- International Development, Emergencies and Refugee Studies Group
- Crime and Criminal Justice Research
- Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
- Ecology and Ecotoxicology
- Water and Air Quality
- Geo-Environmental Engineering
- Transport Engineering and Planning Group
- Building Information Modelling (BIM)
- Property, Construction and Surveying Theme
- Innovation and the Built Environment Academy
- Intelligent Monitoring and Asset Management
- Big Data & Informatics
- Digital Architecture and Fabrication
- BEN project