Health, Acoustics and Communications Engineering (HACE)Research is concerned with three main areas; Acoustics, Communication systems and Biomedical engineering
Researchers are involved in the application of engineering to the monitoring of health, and to the investigation and mitigation of various health effects; and to improvement in the efficiency of various forms of communication in different environments. We have strong collaborative research links with the health, telecommunication and acoustic industries; with academia, music colleges and orchestras; with clinical institutions; and with government departments.
- £1.7 million in external research grants/contracts and 168 publications since 2008.
- £1.6 million collaborative EPSRC grant for research on remote techniques for more intelligent energy usage within dwellings.
- £0.66 million EPSRC funding for collaborative research on acoustic design of secondary schools informing the revision to Building Regulations.
- New prediction and testing methodology, and guidelines, for speech intelligibility of voice alarm systems now applied to 74 stations on the London Underground.
- Recognition of research through 6 prestigious national and international awards and prizes.
- Effects of noise on health, hearing and education; speech intelligibility.
- Biomedical Engineering and Communications (BiMEC)
- Communications: ultra wideband (UWB), wireless and optical systems and their applications in communication networks; design and development of medical and healthcare instrumentation.
Bioengineering: non-destructive measurement technologies for in-vivo skin and physiological studies.
In this section
- Photovoltaics workshop
- London Institute for Real Estate (LifRE)
- Children, Young People and Families Theme
- Health and Social Care Delivery Theme
- Community and Public Health Theme
- Workforce Innovation, Development and Education Theme
- Sport and Exercise Science Research Centre
- Centre for Cross Curricular Initiatives
- Developmental Disorders
- Memory in Settings
- Centre for Mathematics Education
- Centre for the Study of the Networked Image
- Smart Internet Technologies (SuITE)
- Applied and Developmental Cognition
- Investigative and Forensic Psychology
- Lived Experiences in Mental Health and Distress
- Teacher Education for Equity and Sustainability Network
- Centre for Media and Culture Research
- Institute for Social Science Research
- Centre for Educational Research
- Centre for Research in Psychology
- Weeks Centre for Social and Policy Research
- Families and Social Capital Research Group
- International Development, Emergencies and Refugee Studies Group
- Crime and Criminal Justice Research
- Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
- Ecology and Ecotoxicology
- Water and Air Quality
- Geo-Environmental Engineering
- Transport Engineering and Planning Group
- Building Information Modelling (BIM)
- Property, Construction and Surveying Theme
- Innovation and the Built Environment Academy
- Intelligent Monitoring and Asset Management
- Big Data & Informatics
- Digital Architecture and Fabrication
- BEN project