Centre for Mathematics EducationStrong educational interests attract international researchers and visiting scholars
The centre is a specialist sub group of LSBU's Centre for Educational Research. It consists of staff from LSBU's Faculty of Arts and Human Sciences, Department of Education and other areas of the University with an interest in mathematics education, as well as both national and international research students and visiting scholars
The centre pursues research in all areas of mathematics education but has a particular focus on applying socio-cultural theory and social cognition to understand teaching and learning in mathematics. In January 2010, Professor Stephen Lerman, Director of the centre, was awarded the prestigious Sven Pederson award for contributions to mathematics education.
The centre is engaged in an EU-funded research project concerned with A-Level mathematics teaching across Europe. Professor Lerman is consulting on an Australian Research Council-funded project on mathematics in remote indigenous schools.
A research reading group regularly meets and staff often present reports and papers at national and international conferences. Current activities include the preparation of a book on mathematical knowledge for teaching, across all sectors of education.
The Centre regularly has overseas visitors; most recent among these include Professor Cristina Frade and Professor Adriana Marafon from Brazil and Professor Helen Doerr from the USA.
The wide range of research activities in the Faculty of Arts and Human Sciences, together with the mix of academic staff, post-doctoral research fellows and visiting professors, allows us to offer a stimulating and diverse postgraduate environment.
Examples of recently completed PhD topics:
- Designing computer systems to assess and support students' understanding of fractions
- Central curriculum control in the educational system in Cyprus: from theory to teachers' practice
- Teaching mathematical word problem solving: can primary school students become self-regulation problem solvers?
In this section
- Photovoltaics workshop
- London Institute for Real Estate (LifRE)
- Children, Young People and Families Theme
- Health and Social Care Delivery Theme
- Community and Public Health Theme
- Workforce Innovation, Development and Education Theme
- Sport and Exercise Science Research Centre
- Centre for Cross Curricular Initiatives
- Developmental Disorders
- Memory in Settings
- Centre for Mathematics Education
- Centre for the Study of the Networked Image
- Smart Internet Technologies (SuITE)
- Applied and Developmental Cognition
- Investigative and Forensic Psychology
- Lived Experiences in Mental Health and Distress
- Teacher Education for Equity and Sustainability Network
- Centre for Media and Culture Research
- Institute for Social Science Research
- Centre for Educational Research
- Centre for Research in Psychology
- Weeks Centre for Social and Policy Research
- Families and Social Capital Research Group
- International Development, Emergencies and Refugee Studies Group
- Crime and Criminal Justice Research
- Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
- Ecology and Ecotoxicology
- Water and Air Quality
- Geo-Environmental Engineering
- Transport Engineering and Planning Group
- Building Information Modelling (BIM)
- Property, Construction and Surveying Theme
- Innovation and the Built Environment Academy
- Intelligent Monitoring and Asset Management
- Big Data & Informatics
- Digital Architecture and Fabrication
- BEN project