LSBU banner

NHS funded courses fee info - BSc

Changes to bursaries 

For nursing, midwifery and allied healthcare professional education for 2017/18 entry

The Chancellor of the Exchequer announced at the Spending Review in November 2015 that a new loan system would replace student bursaries. The changes announced will affect new students applying and enrolling from September 2017 who may need to apply for a loan.

New loan packages from September 2017

Under the new loan system students can apply for a range of means-tested loans, including a specific loan designed to support students on courses that have a longer than average student year.  There may be special allowances, for example childcare, adult dependants and parents' learning allowance.

The Funding Clinic on the Council of Deans of Health web pages is a useful resource and will provide information tailored to your circumstances.

Students who have previously studied another first degree will be eligible for a second set of loans. More information is available by reading the Council of Deans of Health page.

Social Work

If you are studying Social Work you can apply for the Student Finance England Maintenance Loan.

During your second and third years of study you might meet the criteria to access the income assessed NHS Social Work Bursary.  Social Work Bursaries are available to students if:

  • You do not receive funding from your employer
  • You are studying an approved undergraduate or postgraduate course in Social Work
  • You do not already have a higher education social work qualification
  • If you are nominated by the University

Read more, or if you have any queries our Bursary Office will be pleased to advise.