UK Coaching: Safeguarding and Protecting ChildrenSouthwark Campus
Mode: Full-time; Part-time; Block release; Day release; Evening only
Every child deserves to enjoy their sport. This workshop will raise your awareness of the telltale signs of abuse, and give you the tools and confidence you need to deal with any issues sensitively, appropriately and effectively should the need ever arise in your coaching career. Newly updated to address the impact of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012.
This workshop is a 'Minimum Standards for Active Coaches' requirement for many governing bodies of sport. The 'Minimum Standards for Active Coaches' are seen as the basic standards every coach needs to meet to carry out their role safely and effectively.
This course is held monthly within the Academy of Sport facilities at London South Bank University and taught by exceptional tutors with years of industry experience. Group sizes are between 6 and 20.
You will cover:
- How to identify and recognise good coaching practice and the implications for your coaching
- How to explore your values and feelings in relation to child abuse, and recognise their potential impact on your response
- How to recognise and respond to possible signs of child abuse
- Appropriate action if concerns about a child arise
We are University of the Year for Graduate Employment for the second year in a row - The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018, 2019.
At LSBU, we want to set you up for a successful career. During your studies – and for two years after you graduate – you’ll have access to our Employability Service, which includes:
- An online board where you can see a wide range of placements: part-time, full-time or voluntary. You can also drop in to see our Job Shop advisers, who are always available to help you take the next step in your search.
- Our Careers Gym offering group workshops on CVs, interview techniques and finding work experience, as well as regular presentations from employers across a range of sectors.
Our Student Enterprise team can also help you start your own business and develop valuable entrepreneurial skills.
Teaching and learning
You must be 16 or over to attend this course. Any course candidates below the age of 18 year old must be accompanied by an adult on the day of the course.
If you have already completed some studies at another university, we may be able to consider you for advanced entry. Please see our advanced entry page for more information.
How to apply
All upcoming face to face courses have been cancelled due to the current government guidelines on Covid-19. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest for future courses.
Applications will be accepted on a first come first served basis, your place will only be confirmed on receipt of full payment and completion of the application form.Once you have returned the booking form, you can pay by card at our online store or come into the LSBU Sports Centre to pay in person.
12 September 2019
14 October 2019
09 November 2019
11 December 2019
21 January 2020 *fully booked*
27 February 2020
28 March 2020
27 April 2020 *cancelled*
19 May 2020 *cancelled*
17 June 2020 *cancelled*
11 July 2020 *cancelled*
Prepare to start
All participants will be given details about the course prior to attending, including; the time, location and course structure of the day.
Fees and funding
The price of the course is £60.