RCGP Mentoring will make a real difference to your personal and professional life through one-to-one support, guidance, encouragement and inspiration so that you reach your full potential as great doctors providing great care. Mentoring is only available to RCGP members.
Leading Primary Care Programme
The Health Systems Innovation Lab at LSBU, Modality Partnership and The Royal College of General Practitioners have partnered to offer a new ‘Leading Primary Care’ programme to provide the practical knowledge, understanding and skills required for leading primary care at executive level. At its core are the principles of integrity, collaboration, innovation, and inclusivity to secure high quality health care with and for people and communities that makes the most of the talents and assets of health professionals, and secures the best public value.
- The programme runs September 2021 – May 2022 (see below)
- The programme is provided online
- Programme Fees are £2,995 - included in the fees are enrolment onto the module and 2 coaching sessions valued at £500
- If you are a new partner you might be able to reimburse your place through the ‘New to Partnership Payment Scheme’.
The programme is aimed at primary care partners, leaders and clinical directors, the workshops covers all aspects of primary care management and leadership for effective General Practice and PCN working.
*Please note: the 'start date' on the registration link is if internal purpose only. This course starts in September
Please do ensure you register for the portal titled "Leading Primary Care - LSBU, Modality and RCGP"
This programme aims to develop:
- Primary care senior leaders who are able to lead robust primary care teams and innovate across primary care systems.
- Primary Care Leaders with the knowledge and understanding of leading change in order to lead real time changes in quality in general practice and primary care.
- Leaders who secure evidence-based effective approaches to meet their local population health needs.
- Leaders who have an understanding of relational approaches to change and innovation.
- Leaders who can critically appraise evidence-based options for leading effective primary care.
- Leaders who can demonstrate personal resilience.
- Leaders who consider their own continued development needs in light of their area of practice
- Leaders who have brought their learning to bear on local quality challenges and projects to generate public value.
This programme maps against the RCGP Leadership Capabilities Framework (see brochure above for full mapping).
The programme is achieved by successfully completing the workshops and academic module components alongside evidence of application of ideas into practice. The LSBU Work Based Learning Module sits within the programme and attracts 20 Level 7 credits which can be used to progress to PGCert, Diploma and Masters at LSBU e.g. MA Leading Social Change, MSc Leadership and Service improvement, PGCert Clinical Leadership.
Promoting community of practice is a key part of our learning programme. Together with fellow students, we will look into topical areas of interest such as best practice learnings from redesigning services to practice mergers. These sessions will be guided by practitioners who have direct know-how and experience.
The programme will be delivered online and the dates are as follows:
Leading Primary Care WBL Introduction and Enrolment
1st September 2021 5pm-6pm
Leading Primary Care WBL Workshop 1
15th September 2021 3:30pm-6pm
Leading Primary Care WBL Workshop 2
21st October 2021 3:30pm-6pm
Leading Primary Care WBL Workshop 3
11th November 2021 3:30pm-6pm
15th November 2021
Leading Primary Care WBL COP 1
30th November 2021 5pm-6pm
Leading Primary Care WBL Workshop 4
15th December 2021 5pm-6:30pm
Leading Primary Care WBL Workshop 5
13th January 2022 5pm-6:30pm
Leading Primary Care WBL Workshop 6
10th February 2022 3:30pm-6pm
Leading Primary Care WBL COP 2
24th February 2022 5pm-6pm
Leading Primary Care WBL Workshop 7
17th March 2022 3:30pm-6pm
Leading Primary Care WBL COP 3
31st March 2022 5pm-6pm
Leading Primary Care WBL Workshop 8
21st April 2022 3:30pm-6pm
9th May 2022
Please note: these are subject to change
- Programme Induction – academic and pragmatic overview of the programme (45 mins online).
- The Partnership Code – exploring the values and culture of your practice and PCN so you join the programme clear about how your organisation expects you to lead. This is for you to set up prior to the programme workshops.
Mentoring provided by the RCGP
Learning Community provided within your organisation
We provide 3 one-hour online ‘communities of practice’. These are action learning sessions focusing on how you are applying learning to your leadership practice.
Alongside the module, you be able to have 2 coaching sessions from either RCGP or LSBU Health Systems Innovation Lab (HSIL). All coaching sessions will be conducted remotely at a time and pace that suits you, and are kept strictly confidential between you and your coach.