Mayor's Construction Academy (MCA)
What is the MCA?
The Mayor’s Construction Academy (MCA) aims to:
- Improve the supply of in-demand construction skills
- Scale up and extend what is already working well across the Capital
- Intensify local collaboration, particularly between SMEs and skills training providers
- Support the development of training provision for offsite manufacturing
There are currently 9 MCA hubs across London.
The MCA-LSBU hub is a partnership of south London boroughs (Lambeth, Lewisham & Southwark) and LSBU, Lambeth College, the Skills Centre, South Thames College and Lewisham Construction Hub. Together with developers, contractors, construction SMEs and schools, we aim to work collaboratively to connect the dots and assist both employers and those wanting to work in the construction sector.
Establish a world class construction skills programme that focuses on local tri-borough (Lambeth, Lewisham & Southwark) employers offering talent progression from schools to higher degree apprenticeships.
Key Themes of MCA-LSBU
- Modern Methods of Construction
- Technical Apprenticeships
- Local Recruitment
- Small to Medium Enterprises
What are the benefits of the MCA to your business?
The MCA-LSBU can:
- Assist you in meeting your S106 requirements
- Promote your vacancies and work experience placements
- Offer apprenticeship training from level 2-7
- Meet your training requirements
- Upskill your current workforce
- Offer training in modern methods
- Offer a local talent pool
- Assist you in planning work experience placements
- Keep you updated on T-Levels
What is the MCA-LSBU doing?
Since the MCA-LSBU launch in June 2019, we have done the following:
- Set up a Governance Board comprising of representatives from Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark council, LSBU, the Skills Centre and Lewisham Construction Hub. The Governance Board meet quarterly.
- Set up an Operations Board made up of employers, training providers and other interested parties:
- Contractors/Developers: Grosvenor, Wates, Morrisroe, Engie, Berkeley Group, Cousins, Alandale and Breyer
- Training Providers: LSBU, Lambeth College, South Thames College, The Skills Centre
- Other Organisations: Lewisham Construction Hub, Toucan Employment, Diverse City Surveyors, BPIC Network
The Operations Board are looking at key areas including: job readiness, increasing diversity, T-Levels and modern methods of construction.
- Exhibited at Skills London on 15-16 November 2019
- Developed Apprentice Case Study videos
- Identified Female role models & developed case studies. You can view these case studies here: (link to case studies)
- Held a work experience workshop for employers at South Thames College
- Partnered with Naturally Talented Me (NTM), an online platform that can change the way we recruit by focussing on natural attributes such as reliability, teamworking and problem solving rather than qualifications and experience. Watch a short video of why we are partnering with NTM.
Feel free to contact Amanda on firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to know more about our partnership with NTM
Read about our Skills Centre and how they are Shaping Southwark's Future.
Watch the video below to meet some current LSBU & Skills Centre apprentices to hear about their experience.
We can offer training from Level 1 Award in Health and Safety in Construction, CSCS cards to trade apprenticeships to degree apprenticeships in civil engineering and quantity surveying.
- LSBU – CBE apprenticeships & courses
- Skills Centre – pre-employment programme, apprenticeships, highway maintenance, formwork, groundworks, occupational work supervision, as well as NVQs.
- Lambeth College – construction & engineering courses and apprenticeships
- South Thames College- – construction & engineering courses and apprenticeships
To find out about our upcoming events click here.
If you would like to receive our newsletter, email us at MCAsupport@lsbu.ac.uk
If you would like to find out more, join our Operations Board or get involved with our MCA-LSBU Hub then please email MCAsupport@lsbu.ac.uk
Why not follow us on:
In this section
- Mayor's Construction Academy (MCA)
- Why choose us?
- Benefits of apprenticeships
- Apprenticeship standards
- Levy and funding
- Eligibility requirements
- Steps to offering an apprenticeship
- Apprenticeship recruitment stages
- Your commitment
- Businesses we work with
- Keep informed
- Subcontract Statement
- Mayor’s Academies Programme – LSBU Green Skills Hub
- Apprenticeship support for Southwark Residents