Centre for Research Informed Teaching
The Centre for Research Informed Teaching is committed to the enhancement and recognition of teaching excellence, innovation and curriculum development at London South Bank University. We bring together academic development, learning development and digitally-enhanced learning.
Our role includes:
- Supporting staff to gain recognition as Fellows of the Higher Education through our accredited ‘Achieve’ scheme.
- Working with staff to design and develop innovative curricula tailored to the needs of our students and aligned to the principles of the LSBU Educational Framework.
- Leading on the institutional strategy to embed learning development into curricula to support student success.
- Leading on the institutional strategy for digitally-enhanced learning and learning environment.
- Promoting scholarly teaching through sharing best practice and supporting pedagogic research.
- Providing professional development activities for staff at all stages of their career as educators.
We seek to build a community of expertise across the University, empowering staff at all levels to take responsibility for high quality, aspirational and inclusive learning experiences for all our students.
What is research informed teaching?
Our approach is underpinned by a commitment to research informed teaching. This means:
- Ensuring our courses are informed by current disciplinary and professional research.
- Embedding into our courses opportunities for all students to engage in research and enquiry.
- Promoting evidence-based practice so that all teaching and learning is informed by research and evaluation.
LSBU Educational Framework
The Educational Framework at LSBU is a set of principles for course design and the wider student experience that articulate our commitment to the highest standards of academic knowledge and understanding applied to the challenges of the wider world.
We do this by supporting the development of:
- Courses that are informed by employer and industry needs as well as professional, statutory and regulatory body requirements.
- Embedded learning development for all students to scaffold their learning through the curriculum and engage in the specific writing and thinking requirements of their discipline and profession.
- High impact pedagogies that enable the development of student professional and vocational learning through application in industry-standard or authentic workplace contexts.
- Inclusive teaching, learning and assessment that enables all students to access and engage with their course.
- Assessment for learning that provides timely and formative feedback.
CRIT case studies
As part of the Race Equality submission section on Teaching and Learning, LSBU have created 5 cases studies in understanding and unpacking assessment requirements with students. This is an important way to ensure that students unfamiliar with academic conventions or assumptions are not disadvantaged by the institutional assessment culture. The following case studies provide examples of this approach:
- Case Study 8.1 Developing an inclusive curriculum: BA (Hons) Social Work (PDF File 158 KB)
- Case Study 8.2 Transforming student experience on the Photography BA (Hons) (PDF File 151 KB)
- Case Study 8.3 Introducing more problem-solving, group work and formative feedback to improve attainment: BSc (Hons) Forensic Science (PDF File 150 KB)
- Case Study 8.4 Interventions to raise attainment with a third year cohort: BA (Hons) Education Studies (non-work-based) (PDF File 187 KB)
- Case Study 8.5 Improving BME graduate employability, enterprise and entrepreneurship in STEM: BSc (Hons) IT (PDF File 153 KB)
Dr Saranne Weller
Director of the Centre for Research Informed Teaching
28 August 2019International Conference on Renewable Energy and Vacuum Insulation for Nearly Zero Energy Buildings
28 August 2019CIPD courses at LSBU information evening
5 October 2019University Open Day
7 October 2019School of Business Graduation Ceremony 2019
14 October 2019Graduation Ceremony: School of Arts and Creative Industries; School of Applied Sciences; School of Law and Social Sciences
28 October 2019LSBU Graduations 2019: School of the Built Environment; School of Engineering
4 November 2019School of Health and Social Care Graduation Ceremony 2019
9 November 2019University Open Day
27 November 2019Postgraduate Open Evening
Mature students aiming for career change make LSBU first choice in Clearing
15 August 2019
Chiropractic student wins ‘best new delegate’ at World Congress of Chiropractic Students AGM
6 August 2019
Drama graduates perform at Kingston's International Youth Arts Fringe Festival
8 July 2019
Design students win 2019 PVC Redesigned competition
5 July 2019
Bakery students achieve great success at the Alliance of Bakery Students and Trainees Conference 2019
3 July 2019
LSBU first UK university to launch fully chartered town planner apprenticeship scheme
27 June 2019
Engineering the Future: Two teams of LSBU students make it to Design Challenge National Finals
27 June 2019
LSBU celebrates wealth of local business talent at Southwark Business Awards Gala Finale
18 June 2019
Creative Technologies students celebrate work at End of Year Show
14 June 2019