Associate Professor in Construction Management
School/Division:Built Environment and Architecture / Construction, Property and Surveying
Dr Ruoyu Jin currently works as an Associate Professor in Construction Management, from School of Built Environment and Architecture at London South Bank University. He specialises in Building Information Modelling (BIM) pedagogy, construction safety education, construction waste management especially recycled aggregate concrete, and off-site manufacturing for construction. With professional experience in both civil engineering technologies and construction management, Dr Jin is highly motivated to link technological development in built environment (e.g., digitalisation in construction) into the managerial aspect, such as multi-stakeholder perceptions towards digitalisation in a socio-technical approach. In recent years, Ruoyu has been working on funded research projects related to: (1) applications of digital technologies in off-site manufactured building foundation prototype; and (2) BIM and virtual reality to enhance construction employees' behavioural safety performance. Since obtaining his PhD specialising in Construction Management at The Ohio State University in 2013, Dr Jin has been carrying on the educational work of digital construction focusing on BIM, and continuing the educational research of BIM in collaborating with international partners in embedding BIM in the curriculum of construction management. Specifically, BIM education can be extended from a single module to digitalisation in the programme perspective. The BIM pedagogical studies will maintain the cycle of research-informed teaching and teaching-informed research.
Dr Ruoyu Jin has been teaching modules related to Building Information Modelling (BIM), civil engineering materials, structural design, foundation and concrete, and construction technology.
Dr Jin's teaching interests focus on BIM and digitalisation for construction management. Dr Jin highly emphasises adopting digital technologies to create an information hub to reduce the fragmentation and increase the integration between different disciplines in built environment and civil engineering.
Dr Ruoyu Jin's main research outputs can be summarised in BIM pedagogy-based research, construction waste management, workers’ construction safety issues, and recycled aggregate concrete made from construction wastes. In recent years, Dr Jin has been working on developing interdisciplinary research and integrating these aforementioned research topics, for example, adopting BIM in C&D waste management and as the digital platform during the life cycle of off-site construction projects. More integrated research is being planned for Dr Jin's scholarly work, including BIM used for health and safety monitoring, BIM for waste generation estimate, and Internet-of-Things (IoT) applied in the performance monitoring of off-site construction projects. Dr Jin perceives that BIM, as part of IoT, can be further developed to be integrated with off-site construction, construction safety management, innovative construction materials, and integrated project delivery system.
Dr Jin has authored in over 60 peer-reviewed journal articles indexed in Web of Science and Scopus, more than 15 conference proceedings, one book chapter, and one patented innovation in reusing construction wastes as sustainable construction materials. Dr Jin has been either the leading author or corresponding author for more than 30 of them. These journals include: Journal of Construction Engineering and Management (ASCE); Journal of Management in Engineering (ASCE); Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice (ASCE); Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering (ASCE); Journal of Cleaner Production; Safety Science; Automation in Construction; Resources, Conservation & Recycling; Building Research & Information; as well as Engineering, Construction, and Architectural Management, etc. Dr Jin’s research paper entitled “An empirical study of perceptions towards construction and demolition waste recycling and reuse in China” won the most Cited Paper Award 2019 in Journal of Resources, Conservation & Recycling.
Dr Jin's supervisory interests to postgraduate students include: BIM-related applications in construction project management and built environment, construction waste management, off-site construction, construction safety, and recycled aggregate concrete.
- Charted Builder (MCIOB)
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy UK (FHEA)
- Editorial board member, International Journal Management, Procurement and Law
- Associate member, The Chinese Research Institute of Construction Management
- Reviewer for grant proposals of UK Newton Fund Institutional Links programme and overseas funding schemes from UAE
- External PhD examiner in construction management
Peer reviewer for journals in the field of built environment and civil engineering, including:
- Advances in Civil Engineering
- Automation in Construction
- Building and Environment
- Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering
- Construction & Building Materials
- Construction Innovation
- Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management
- Frontiers of Built Environment
- Frontiers of Engineering Management
- Intelligent Buildings International
- International Journal of Civil Engineering
- Journal of Civil Engineering Education (Formerly known as Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice)
- Journal of Cleaner Production
- Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering
- Journal of Construction Engineering and Management
- Journal of Green Building
- Journal of Management in Engineering
- Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Management, Procurement and Law
Resources, Conservation & Recycling
- Safety Science
- Dr Jin received the award of ASCE 2019 Outstanding Reviewer selected by Journal of Civil Engineering Education.