Prof. Marcantonio Spada
Professor of Addictive Behaviours and Mental Health; Head of Psychology
Telephone:020 7815 5760
School/Division:Applied Sciences / Psychology
Marcantonio Spada is Professor of Addictive Behaviours and Mental Health in the School of Applied Sciences at London South Bank University where he is the Head of the Division of Psychology and Deputy Lead of the Centre for Addictive Behaviours Research. Professor Spada is also a Visiting Researcher at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience King’s College London and a Visiting Professor of Psychology at Sigmund Freud University Milan/Vienna. In addition, he serves as both Editor-in-Chief of Addictive Behaviors and Addictive Behaviors Reports, as a Director of UK SMART Recovery, and as a Trustee of GambleAware.
Prior to his current academic appointment, he was Professor of Psychological Therapies in the School of Health and Social Care at London South Bank University and Consultant and Trust Lead in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) for North East London NHS Foundation Trust. Before joining London South Bank University Professor Spada held Principal Lectureships in Psychology at the University of Roehampton and at London Metropolitan University.
Professor Spada has made a significant contribution to the understanding of the metacognitive mechanisms underlying general vulnerability to addictive behaviours (alcohol use, gambling, nicotine use, and engagement with technology). In this area he has conducted seminal studies that have identified the key role played by metacognitions in the maintenance of such behaviours and has also defined and shaped the novel concept of ‘desire thinking’, a third form of perseverative thinking (beyond rumination and worry) which is linked to the persistence and escalation of craving. This body of work has led to the development of a novel clinical model which integrates knowledge on attention, perseverative thinking and metacognition into a single ‘architecture’ aimed at explaining the unfolding of addictive behaviour and the application of metacognitive focused techniques in its treatment.
Professor Spada is now leading research on testing the efficacy of metacognitive focused therapy protocols for addictive behaviours.
- Introducing Real World Psychology
- Psychology of Addictive Behaviour
- Psychology of Mental Health and Distress
- Psychology of Thinking and Communication
MSc Addiction Psychology and Counselling
- Therapeutic Counselling Theory and Practice
MSc Mental Health and Clinical Psychology
- Introduction to Clinical Skills
- Thinking, Intelligence, and Communication
- Accredited Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Practitioner, British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies
- Associate Fellow, British Psychological Society
- Chartered Psychologist, British Psychological Society
- Director, UK SMART Recovery
- Editorial Advisory Board Member, Heliyon
- Editor-in-Chief, Addictive Behaviors
- Editor-in-Chief, Addictive Behaviors Reports
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Behavioral Addictions
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Rational-Emotive & Cognitive-Behavior Therapy
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- Member, International Society for the Study of Behavioral Addictions
- Registered Metacognitive Therapy Practitioner, Metacognitive Therapy Institute
- Trustee, GambleAware
- Visiting Professor of Psychology, Sigmund Freud University, Milan
- Visiting Researcher, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience, King's College London