Professor Issa Chaer
Director of Research and Enterprise
Telephone:020 7815 7149
School/Division:Built Environment and Architecture / Civil and Building Services Engineering
Professor Chaer is a Chartered Engineer with a PhD in Heat Transfer. He is currently the director of Research and Enterprise for the School of the Built Environment and Architecture.
He is an active research academic with interests in energy conversion and energy management including CHP and trigeneration systems, refrigeration, alternative and renewable technologies, life cycle assessment, heat transfer, and energy conversion, food processing and food manufacturing, and novel techniques to reduce energy demand and carbon emission within the engineering sector.
Teaching activities over the last 10 years:
- Heat and Mass Transfer - 2009 to date
- Thermo and Fluid Dynamics - 2007 to date
- Engineering Mathematics - 2007 to date
- Heating Ventilation and Water Services | Laboratory Academic Supervisor - 2007 to date
- Thermal Environment | Laboratory Academic Supervisor - 2007 to date
- Design Application -2009 to date
- Computer applications in the general areas of engineering - 2007 to 2009
- Refrigeration and Air conditioning | Distance Learning Tutor -2004 to 2007
- Building Heat Transfer and Air Conditioning | Distance Learning Tutor - 2002 to 2007
- Energy conversion and energy management | Distance Learning Tutor - 2002 to 2007
Issa has a research portfolio spanning over 15 years with evidence of significant contribution to the advancement of engineering knowledge at national and international levels including over 60 conference and journal articles. He also has a good record of managing research projects and securing research funds (over £1.2 million in the last 5 years, mainly industrial).
Current Research topics:
- Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment of Remanufactured and Refurbished Refrigerated Display Cabinets (EPSRC Funded Case Award).
- LDA and CFD Calibrations of Airflow-Measurement Instruments in Industry
- Sustainable low carbon and renewable technologies (Mechanical and Electrical)
- Reduction of refrigerant leakage and emissions
- Chartered Engineer
- Senior Fellow of HEA
- Fellow of Institute of Refrigeration
- Editor of the International Journal of Sustainable Energy Development
- Special Issue Editor- Journal of Energies: Alternative and Emerging Cooling and Heating Technologies Member of the Working Party on Mitigation of Direct Emissions of Greenhouse Gases (International Institute of Refrigeration)
- Reviewer for the Innovation and the Built Environment Academy (IBEA)