Dr Saim Memon
Senior Lecturer Electrical Engineering & Course Director Electrical and Electronic Engineering HND
Telephone:020 7815 7510
School/Division:Engineering / Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Dr Saim Memon is a Senior lecturer in Electrical Engineering and Course Director in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (HND) at School of Engineering, London South Bank University, London, UK. He studied BEng(Hons) in Electrical Engineering (Mehran UET, Pk), MSc in Mechatronics (Staffordshire University, UK), PhD in Electrical & Electronic Engineering (Loughborough University, UK) and PGCert in Teaching Qualification FE (University of Aberdeen, UK). He is a Chartered Engineer through The IET and registered at Engineering Council UK. He is a Fellow of Higher Education Academy and has a Qualified Teacher status by General Teaching Council for Scotland (GTCS). He teaches BEng/MEng/MSc modules and supervises BEng/MSc/MEng/PhD students.
He has multi-disciplinary research/academic experiences in Electrical, Electronic, Solar Thermal Vacuum Engineering and Renewable-Energy Engineering. He has over 35 first-authored research publications in the form of journals, book-chapter, conference papers, book-editor, newsletter and magazines. He presented his research findings in collaboration with leading scientists in the UK, Europe, USA, Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, Kenya, Peru, Russia, China and Pakistan. He secured funding from H2020, Innovate-UK, The IET Engineering Education Grant Scheme, DAIWA-Anglo-Japanese Foundation, Royal Academy of Engineering participation and numerous Newton-Fund participation grants.
With his enthusiasm and passion in research, he organised and chaired national and international conferences. He has been a long committee member (past secretory) of the Institute of Physics Vacuum Group and past-committee member of the IET regions across the UK. He also worked as an external examiner in scrutinising MSc courses. He is also a lead contributor to the Vacuum Science World magazine. In his recent project, he motivated engineering education in local London Schools/Colleges as a Project Manager and organised solar car challenge events.
- Power Generation Components-Testing and Maintenance (EEE_7_PGC_1718) (Module Leader) (Degree Apprenticeship)
- Advanced Power Electronics & Renewable Energy ( EEB_7_404)
BEng and HND modules
- Introduction to Electrical and Electronic Engineering (ENG_4_404) (Module Leader)
- Principles of Power Generation, Transmission & Distribution (EEE_4_PGT_1718) (Module Leader) (Degree Apprenticeship)
- Electrical Principles DC (ENG_4_502) (Module Leader)
- Electrical Principles AC (ENG_4_526) (Module Leader)
- Electrical Technology (ENG_5_506) 16-17 (Workshop)
- Electrical Machines and Power Electronics (ENG_5_524) (Workshop)
- Electrical Energy Converters and Drives (ENG_6_528_1617) (Workshop)
- Mathematics (ENG_4_501) 16-17 (Tutorial)
- Engineering Applications (ENG_4_429) (Module Leader)
- MSc and MEng Projects
- BEng Project
The following modules taught at HND/HNC level at North East Scotland College of HE and FE, UK:
- Electrical Machine Principles
- Three Phase Systems
- Electrical Networks & Resonance
- Utilisation of Electrical Energy in Buildings
- Fundamentals of Control Systems & Transducers
- Electrostatics & Electromagnetics
- Single & Three Phase Induction Motors
- Electrical Principles
- Electrical Plant Theory
- Combinational Logic
- Electronic Network Analysis
The following modules taught, as distance learning tutor, at MSc level at Loughborough University, UK:
- Solar Thermal Systems
- Energy Storage
- Hydro Power
Teaching qualifications and certification
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy via self-structured experiences route, Dec 2016.(#PR112703)
- Registered Qualified Teacher (General Teaching Council for Scotland), April, 2017 (#176315)
- PG Cert Teaching Qualification in FE, University of Aberdeen, UK, May-2016
- Teaching in Colleges Today (3 credits SCQF level 7), College Development Network, UK, Aug-2015.
- Successful Teaching and Assessment for Researchers certificate, Loughborough University, UK, Mar-2013.
Dr Saim has multi-disciplinary research/academic experiences in Electrical, Electronic, Solar Thermal Vacuum Engineering and Renewable-Energy Engineering. His research experiences are on solar energy-materials for vacuum insulated smart windows, renewable energy technologies, thermoelectric-materials with vacuum-insulation and heat-storage for the improvement of electric-vehicles charging-efficiency. He has over 35 first-authored research publications in the form of journals, book-chapter, conference papers, book-editor, newsletter and magazines. He is an active reviewer of a numerous high-impact factor journals. He presented his research findings in collaboration with leading scientists in the UK, Europe, USA, Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, Kenya, Peru, Russia, China and Pakistan.
He has experiences of successfully writing and winning, with collaboration, the IP protected EC H2020, Innovate UK and Innovate UK smart grant proposals in 2014 at The TRC, Grantham. He secured funding from The IET Engineering Education Grant Scheme, DAIWA-Anglo-Japanese Foundation, Royal Academy of Engineering participation and numerous British Council Newton-Fund participation grants. Prior to this, he undertook research in the EPSRC funded CALEBRE (Consumer-Appealing Low Energy technologies for Building Retrofitting) project from 2010 to 2013 at Loughborough University, UK. He successfully wrote and delivered projects such as a project leader (PI) of Daiwa Anglo-Japanese research grant in collaboration with Hokkaido University, Japan.
He organised and chaired international and national research conferences in engaging renewable energy research communities and organised events to enthuse local London College/School students towards Engineering Education.
He successfully co-supervised his first PhD student and numerous BEng/MSc/MEng students. He supervises two PhD research students and BEng/MSc/MEng students with innovative research projects.
- Chartered Engineer (Engineering Council), The IET UK
- Fellow Member of Higher Education Academy
- Registered Qualified Teacher (General Teaching Council for Scotland)
- Member of Chartered Management Institute, UK.
- Member of The IET (Institution of Engineering & Technology) UK
- Member of Institute of Physics
- Member of IEEE (Institute of Electrical & Electronics Engineer) UK & Republic of Ireland session
- Member of the International Solar Energy Society.
- Member of International Building Performance Simulation Association.
- Member of APCBEES (Asia-Pacific Chemical, Biological & Environmental Engineering Society)
- Member of Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC), Registered Engineer.
- Member of American Solar Energy Society (ASES), 12-13.
- Member of World Renewable Energy Forum, 12-13.
- Member of Institute of Leadership & Management (ILM) UK, part of City & Guilds of London Institute. 09-10
- Keynote Speaker, 2nd Int Conference on Sustainable Development in Civil Engineering, Pakistan, Dec 2019.
- Editor-in-Chief, Book Advanced Thermoelectric Materials for Energy Harvesting Applications, IntechOpen, 2019.
- Organiser & Chair, International Conference on Renewable Energy and Vacuum Insulations for NZEB’s, UK, Aug 2019.
- Invited Speaker, Conference of Economic aspects of Energy Efficiency of the EU (ECENEF), Russia, Jul 2019,
- Invited Speaker, World Sustainable Energy Days 2019, Wels, Austria, Mar 2019.
- Invited Speaker, Workshop on the Electrification on the Road Transport, China, Dec 2018.
- Invited Speaker, International Workshop on Medical Imaging Alliance, Russia, Nov 2018.
- Invited Speaker, International Training Workshop on Microplastic Debris, IMARPE, Peru, Oct 2018.
- Invited Speaker, International Workshop on Resilient Manufacturing, Kenya, Sep 2018.
- External Examiner, Manchester Metropolitan University, Sep 2018.
- Invited Speaker, International Workshop on Advanced Materials for Environmental Protection, Thailand, Mar 2018.
- Invited Speaker, International Workshop on Heritage Refurbishment Assessment Scheme, Malaysia, Aug 2017.
- Project Manager and Organiser, The IET EEGS Funded Events, UK, Mar 2018.
- Organiser & Chair, Half Day Conference on ‘Status and Future Developments in Solar thermal Vacuum Systems Engineering’, UK, Mar 2018.
- Invited Speaker, ‘Retrofitting the existing domestic housing stock with the energy-efficient insulation technologies’, UK, Jul 2017.
- Invited Lecture, Loughborough University, March 2017.
- Invited Speaker, Open University, May 2017.
- Committee Member (Past Secretary) Institute of Physics-Vacuum Group (2013-Present).
- Vice Chairman/Committee Member (The IET) (NW Midlands, East Midlands, North Scotland- Aberdeen) (2010-2016)
- Active Journal Reviewers: Energy, Solar Energy, Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells, Energy for Sustainable Development, Energy & Building, IEEE, Energies, Sustainability and Energy Efficiency.