Dr Saim Memon
Senior Lecturer Electrical Engineering & Course Director BEng(Hons) Electrical Power Engineering & MEng/BEng Electrical Engineering & Power Electronics
Telephone:020 7815 7510
School/Division:Engineering / Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Dr Saim Memon is Senior lecturer in Electrical Engineering, Course Director of BEng Electrical Power Engineering, MEng/BEng Electrical Engineering & Power Electronics and HND Electrical & Electronic Engineering courses at London South Bank University, London, UK. He leads Solar Thermal Vacuum Engineering research group at London Centre for Energy Engineering. He studied PhD at Loughborough University, UK, PGCert Teaching Qualification at University of Aberdeen, UK, MSc in Mechatronics at Staffordshire University, UK and BEng (Hons) in Electrical Engineering MUET. He is Chartered Engineer and a Fellow HEA(Advance-HE) and having Qualified Teacher status by General Teaching Council for Scotland (GTCS).
In his academic career, he taught 35 undergraduate and postgraduate modules and supervised over 25 PhD/MEng/MSc & BEng projects. He has been nominated for Best Supervisor, Outstanding Lecturer and Research in Action Awards by Staff and Students for four consecutive years (2017, 2018, 2019 & 2020).
He has multidisciplinary research expertise in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical and Renewable Energy and Materials Engineering. He published over 80 research articles in the form of journals, book-chapters, patent-provisional, conferences, book-editor, newsletter and magazines. He collaborated with 50+ international and national authors across 25+ countries globally.
In his academic career, he raised funding from H2020, Innovate-UK, The IET/IMechE Engineering-Education-Grant-Scheme EEGS, DAIWA-Anglo-Japanese, Royal Academy of Engineering participation and Newton-Fund participation grants. He has been invited and keynote speaker in numerous international conferences/workshops and presented research findings and developed collaboration with researchers in the UK, Japan, China, Egypt, Russia, Kyrgyzstan, South America, Kenya, Thailand, Malaysia, Australia, South Korea, South Africa, Belarus, Pakistan, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Italy, Algeria, India, USA, UAE, Hong Kong and Spain.
- Power Generation Components-Testing and Maintenance (EEE_7_PGC_1718) (Module Leader) (Degree Apprenticeship)
- Advanced Power Electronics & Renewable Energy ( EEB_7_404)
- MSc and MEng Projects
- Renewable Energy Engineering (Module Leader)
- Electrical Circuit Analysis (Module Leader)
- Introduction to Electrical Engineering Principles (Module Leader-Degree Apprenticeship Program)
- Introduction to Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Module Leader)
- Principles of Power Generation, Transmission & Distribution (Module Leader) (Degree Apprenticeship)
- Electrical Principles DC (Module Leader)
- Electrical Principles AC (Module Leader)
- Transformers and Motors (Module Leader)
- Electrical Technology (Module Leader)
- Electrical Machines and Power Electronics (ENG_5_524) (Workshop)
- Electrical Energy Converters and Drives (ENG_6_528_1617) (Workshop)
- Mathematics (ENG_4_501) 16-17 (Tutorial)
- Engineering Applications (ENG_4_429) (Module Leader)
- Professional Engineering Practice (Module Leader)
- BEng Project
The following modules taught at HND/HNC level at North East Scotland College of HE and FE, UK:
- Electrical Machine Principles
- Three Phase Systems
- Electrical Networks & Resonance
- Utilisation of Electrical Energy in Buildings
- Fundamentals of Control Systems & Transducers
- Electrostatics & Electromagnetics
- Single & Three Phase Induction Motors
- Electrical Principles
- Electrical Plant Theory
- Combinational Logic
- Electronic Network Analysis
The following modules taught, as distance learning tutor, at MSc level at Loughborough University, UK:
- Solar Thermal Systems
- Energy Storage
- Hydro Power
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy via self-structured experiences route, Dec 2016.(#PR112703)
- Registered Qualified Teacher (General Teaching Council for Scotland), April, 2017 (#176315)
- PG Cert Teaching Qualification in FE, University of Aberdeen, UK, May-2016
- Teaching in Colleges Today (3 credits SCQF level 7), College Development Network, UK, Aug-2015.
- Successful Teaching and Assessment for Researchers certificate, Loughborough University, UK, Mar-2013.
Dr Saim Memon has multidisciplinary research expertise in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical, Renewable Energy and Materials Engineering. His specific research experiences are on: energy-materials for vacuum-insulated-smart-windows to net Zero Energy Buildings; vacuum based photovoltaic solar thermal collector; applied semi-transparent photovoltaics and PDLC films; translucent vacuum insulation panel; renewable energy technologies; thermoelectric devices for energy harvesting applications with vacuum-insulation; smart-grid integration to electric-vehicles with fast charging battery mechanism and; harvesting the concentrated solar irradiations to useful electrical energy.
He published over 80 research articles in the form of journals, book-chapters, patent-provisional, conferences, book-editor, newsletter and magazines. He collaborated with 50 international and national Authors across 25 countries globally. He raised funding from H2020, Innovate-UK, The IET/IMechE Engineering-Education-Grant-Scheme EEGS, DAIWA-Anglo-Japanese, Royal Academy of Engineering participation and Newton-Fund participation grants.
He is the founder and Editor-in-Chief of International Journal of Solar Thermal Vacuum Engineering with international collaboration of 14 countries worldwide. He was also an Editor-in-Chief for the book on Advanced Thermoelectric Materials for Energy Harvesting Applications, it attracted worldwide collaborations. He is a Review Editor of Frontiers in built Environment journal, Guest Editor at Sustainability and Energies of 3 Special Issues in (a) Renewable Energy and Advanced Smart Vacuum Insulations Technologies for Zero Energy Buildings (2019-2022), (b) Applied Solar Thermal Energy (2020-2022) and, (c) Sustainable Development of Solar Photovoltaic Islands’ Decarbonization (2021-2022). He is a recognised reviewer of over 22 prestigious journals by Elsevier, Springer, IEEE, Taylor & Francis and MDPI publishers.
- Chartered Engineer (Engineering Council), The IET UK
- Fellow Member of Higher Education Academy
- Registered Qualified Teacher (General Teaching Council for Scotland)
- Member of Chartered Management Institute, UK.
- Member of The IET (Institution of Engineering & Technology) UK
- Member of Institute of Physics
- Member of IEEE (Institute of Electrical & Electronics Engineer) UK & Republic of Ireland session
- Member of the International Solar Energy Society.
- Member of International Building Performance Simulation Association.
- Member of APCBEES (Asia-Pacific Chemical, Biological & Environmental Engineering Society)
- Member of Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC), Registered Engineer.
- Member of American Solar Energy Society (ASES), 12-13.
- Member of World Renewable Energy Forum, 12-13.
- Member of Institute of Leadership & Management (ILM) UK, part of City & Guilds of London Institute. 09-10
- Editor-in-Chief: International Journal of Solar Thermal Vacuum Engineering.
- Editor-Book: Advanced Thermoelectric Materials for Energy Harvesting Applications.
- Review Editor: Frontiers in Built Environment.
- Guest Editor: Three special issues in Energies and Sustainability.
- 22+ Journals Reviewer
- PhD Supervisor, British University Egypt.
- External Examiner, Manchester Metropolitan University, Sep 2018.
- Project Manager and Organiser, The IET EEGS Funded Events, UK, Mar 2018.
- Expert Contributor: Vacuum Science World.
- Past Secretary and Committee Member IOP Vacuum Group
- Past Vice-Chairman and Committee Member TheIET 2010-2016.
- Invited Speaker, World Renewable Energy Congress (WREC), Jul 2021, Portugal.
- Organising Committee and Chair, 18th Intl Conf Manufacturing Research, 7-10 Sep 2021, UK.
- Chair and Invited Speaker, Newton Fund and British Council Researchers Links UK-China, Dec 2020, China.
- Keynote Speaker, Conference of Economic aspects of Energy Efficiency of the EU (ECENEF), Oct 2020, Russia.
- Invited Speaker, XVII Intl Conf Renewable & Small-Scale Energy-2020 (ViME 2020), Oct 2020, Russia.
- Organiser and Chair, Intl Conf on Renewable Energy and Vacuum Insulations for NZEB’s, Aug 2019, UK.
- Invited Speaker, Newton Funds Workshop on the Electrification on the Road Transport, Dec 2018, China.
- Invited Speaker, Medical Imaging Alliance, Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences, Nov 2018, Russia.
- Organiser, Half Day Conference, LSBU, Mar 2018, UK.
- Invited Speaker, Newton Funds-Microplastic Debris, IMARPE, Oct 2018, Peru, South America.
- Invited Speaker, Newton Funds-How Resilient Manufacturing can solve the unemployment problem in Kenya, Sept 2018, Kenya.
- Invited Speaker, Newton-Funds Advanced Materials for Environmental Protection, NSTDA, Mar 2018, Thailand.
- Invited Speaker, Newton-Funds Heritage Refurbishment Assessment Scheme, Aug 2017, Malaysia.
- Judge, organised four times- The IET (PATW) competitions. (2011-2015)