Dr Jian-Guo Zhang
Telephone:020 7815 7576
School/Division:Engineering / Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Dr Jian-Guo Zhang has 30 years of active research on optical fibre communications and avionics optical data buses. From 1988 to 1990, he was a research engineer of Avionics Data Bus Group in the Development Division of Chengdu Aircraft Company, China, working on MIL-STD-1773 optical fibre avionics data buses, MIL-STD-1553B avionics data buses, and effect of impulsive noise on the performance of digital communication systems. From 1995 to 1999, he was an Assistant Professor, then an Associate Professor of Telecommunications at the Asian Institute of Technology (an autonomous international postgraduate institute supported by Governments of the industrial world, international organizations (e.g., World Bank and Asian Development Bank), various foundations, other public and private-sector donors). Dr Zhang was an invited Senior Research Scientist of Communications Laboratory at the Helsinki University of Technology (HUT) in Finland, before he joined the London South Bank University as a Senior Lecturer of Telecommunications Engineering in January 2001. He has been teaching and conducting research in the areas of optical fibre communications, high-speed communication networks, and microwave photonics, respectively. He has published over 100 international journal papers.
Dr Zhang is a recipient of Young Scientist Award from 1995 URSI/IEEE International Symposium on Signals, Systems and Electronics, 1996 URSI Young Scientist Award from International Union of Radio Science (URSI), Best Paper Award from the Second International Symposium on Communication Systems, Networks and Digital Signal Processing; Co-recipient of Third-Prize Paper Award from the China Association for Science and Technology in 2009; Co-recipient (together with Prof. Yiyuan Xie of Southwest University and Dr Guijin Wang of Tsinghua University) of 2017 Third-Prize Natural Science Award from Chongqing Municipality, China. He is a Fellow of the Institute of Physics (IOP) in UK and The Higher Education Academy.
Dr Jian-Guo Zhang has taught MSc/MEng and BEng modules about optical fibre communications, microwave transmission systems, fundamentals of transmission channels, information theory & error control techniques, and analogue & digital communication systems, respectively. Currently, he is responsible for teaching one MSc and two BEng modules about optical fibre and microwave communications, analogue electronics, and introduction to communication systems and networks, respectively.
Dr Jian-Guo Zhang has been actively conducting research work on optical fibre communication systems/networks, avionics optical data buses, gain-switched laser diodes, passively mode-locked fibre lasers, ultrafast all-optical signal processing, and ultrawide-bandwidth optical sampling oscilloscope (including his leadership for development of the first prototype of such an optical oscilloscope in China through long-term research collaboration with Dr Yuanshan Liu at the national key laboratory of transient optics & photonics and the joint research activity sponsored by the Chinese Academy of Sciences—CAS), respectively. More recently, he has been doing research on applications of microwave photonics to advanced instrumentation and communication systems through research collaboration with a national key laboratory of transient optics & photonics in China.
Selected recent publications
- Jiazheng Song, Yuanshan Liu, and Jianguo Zhang, "L-band mode-locked femtosecond fiber laser with gigahertz repetition rate", Applied Optics, vol. 58, issue 27, pp. 7577-7581, September 2019 (a publication of Optical Society of America).
- Jiazheng Song, Hushan Wang, Xinning Huang, XiaoHong Hu, Ting Zhang, Yishan Wang, Yuanshan Liu, and Jian-Guo Zhang, "Compact low-noise passively mode-locked Er-doped femtosecond all-fiber laser with 2.68 GHz fundamental repetition rate", Applied Optics, vol. 58, issue 7, pp. 1733-1738, March 2019.
- Y. Liu, J.-G. Zhang, and D. Tang, “Optical waveform monitoring based on a free-running mode-locked femtosecond fibre laser and four-wave mixing in a highly nonlinear fibre,” Opto-Electronics Review, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 62-74, June 2016.
- Zhan-Qiang Hui and Jian-Guo Zhang, “Design of optical time-division multiplexed systems using the cascaded four-wave mixing in a highly nonlinear photonic crystal fiber for simultaneous time demultiplexing and wavelength multicasting,” Journal of Optics (Publisher: IOP), vol. 17, no. 7, 075702 (16pp), July 2015.
- Overseas member of Editorial Board for Acta Photonica Sinica since 2007.
- Invited PhD advisor for supervision/joint supervision of PhD students at the State Key Laboratory of Transient Optics & Photonics, Xi'an Institute of Optics and Precision Mechanics of Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), China.
- Member of Viser Academic Committee (10/04/2019 – 09/04/2020), Viser Technology Pte. Ltd. (focusing on publishing scientific and technological journals and books) in Singapore.