Dr Haydar Aygün
Telephone:020 7815 7263
School/Division:Built Environment and Architecture / Civil and Building Services Engineering
Dr Aygün is a Senior Lecturer in Acoustics in the Division of Civil and Building Services Engineering at London South Bank University.
Dr Aygün Joined London South Bank University from Southampton Solent University, where he was involved with development of postgraduate and undergraduate acoustic courses, he was Course Leader for MSc Applied Acoustics, and admission tutor for acoustics and audio engineering courses.
Dr Aygün worked at the University of Hull before moving to Southampton Solent University. He has successfully completed several funded research projects both there and at Katholieke Universiteit Leuven. He studied for a PhD degree in acoustics and vibration at the University of Hull. He obtained a BSc in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Gaziantep before studying for a MSc in advanced materials, process and manufacturing from the University of Hull. He has supervised several undergraduate and postgraduate students and research assistants.
Dr Aygün has teaching experience and knowledge of Acoustics modules at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Dr Aygün teaches the following undergraduate and postgraduate courses:
MSc Environmental and Architectural Acoustics;
- Measurement and Control of Sound,
- Subjective and Environmental Acoustics modules),
Diploma in Acoustics and Noise Control (IOA course);
- General Principles of Acoustics, and
- Noise and Vibration Control Engineering modules,
BEng/BSc Building Services Engineering course
- Introduction to Building Services Engineering, and
- Energy Management and Control modules, and
MSc Building Services Engineering;
- Ventilation and Air Conditioning module.
Previously he was teaching on General Principals of Acoustics, Noise and Vibration Control, Environmental Noise, Building Acoustic, Computer Aided Simulation, Engineering Mathematics, Transducers and Instrumentations, Engineering Physics, Research Methods, and Acoustics Materials modules at Solent.
Dr Aygun also teaches on IoA short course ‘Certificate of Competence Environmental Noise Measurement’.
Dr Aygün's research interests include:
- Developing and characterising novel materials to solve noise and vibration problems.
Design and development of devices
- Dr Aygün developed and tested several acoustic devices to investigate the acoustical properties of materials.
CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics)
- Simulated acoustic waves in an impedance tube used in combustion engines
FEM (Finite Element Analysis)
- Used FEM to determine structural properties of materials
- Investigated acoustical properties of bone using a novel vibro-acoustic model; investigation of bone parameters that are effecting sound propagation through it using ultrasound and Biot theory.
- Dr Aygün is working on novel methods to detect lung/mouth/tracheal sound.
Dr Aygün is currently a member of the following professional bodies:
- Fellow Member of Higher Education Academy
- Member of the Institute of Acoustics, UK
- Member of Acoustical Society of America
- Member of Turkish Acoustical Society
Dr Aygün is reviewer for Journal of Applied Acoustics, and Journal of the Acoustical Society of America.
Dr Aygün has been on the scientific committee of ICSV24 London 2017, and ICSV25 Japan 2018, and organised two structured acoustic sessions. He has chaired some conference session at acoustics conferences.
He has undertaken consultancy work including determination of sound pressure levels emitted by control panels under vibration, measuring the absorption and transmission loss of porous samples, monitoring noise at festival and noise mapping of events.