Dr Delia Ojinnaka
Course Director, MSc Food Safety & Control
Telephone:020 7815 6255
School/Division:Applied Sciences / Food Sciences (including the National Bakery School)
Delia is a graduate of King's College, University of London (BSc Biology), Leeds University (MSc Food Science) and Cranfield University (PhD Rheological characterisation of microbial polysaccharides). Whilst at LSBU, she gained further qualifications; PGCHE in teaching and learning and PgCert (CPE) in legal studies. She is also a fellow of the Institute of Food Science and Technology (IFST), UK and a chartered scientist.
Her experience in teaching and learning in the higher education sector spans over 25 years. Her specialist subjects are food science, composition, analysis, legislation, food security and sustainability. She is currently the Course Director of the immensely successful MSc in Food Safety and Control at London South Bank University (LSBU) and the LSBU coordinator for the international master in Food Management and Safety, a three-way collaborative MSc with University of Lorraine, Nancy, France and Universidad Politécnica de Valencia (UPV), Valencia, Spain.
She also gives international lectures on food labelling, food security, food sustainability and bioterrorism.
Delia has taught in the HE sector for over 25 years. Her specialist subjects are food science, composition, analysis, legislation, food security and sustainability. Her professional experience in relation to teaching is outlined below.
- 1986 -1989 Assistant Lecturer, Federal University of Technology Owerri, Nigeria
- 1989 -1990 Part-time Lecturer, Westminster College, London
- 1993 -1994 Lecturer, Queen Margaret University College, Edinburgh, Scotland
- 1994 - date Lecturer, School of Applied Science, London South Bank University
- 1996 - 2000 Course Director, HNC Food Technology
- 1996 - 2000 Course Co-ordinator, BSc Food Science (Part - Time)
- 2006 - date Course Co-ordinator, MSc Food Safety and Control
- 2006 - date LSBU Coordinator: International Masters in Food Management and Safety
Delia's main research interests are:
- Food safety legislation and sustainability
- Consumer perception of food issues
- Chemical analysis of foods
She is currently supervising PhD research on evaluation of chemical contaminants in Thai rice.
Delia is a fellow of the Institute of Food Science and Technology (IFST), UK and a chartered scientist.
Delia is highly experienced as a judge and assessor in education, school appeals, examination bodies and the voluntary services within London. She has over 15 years experience as a school governor, she has been a LEA and a Link governor of a primary school in Enfield since 1996 and a parent governor of a grammar school in Barnet since 2011. She is also an education member of the admission's appeal panel, Enfield (1998 to date).
- Examiner AQA 2000-2003
- Education Panel Member Enfield Schools' Admission Appeal Board 2002-date
- Secretary IFST Publication Committee 2008-2011
- Project Coordinator: Food, Health and Lifestyle Forum, UK 2008 to date
- Volunteer writer for Society of Chemical Industry (SCI) 2013