Senior Lecturer - Perioperative Practice
Telephone:020 7815 6148
School/Division:Health and Social Care / Allied Health Sciences
Chris Mahoney teaches on a number of courses related to perioperative healthcare, and is course director of the Operating Department Practice programmes at LSBU. Prior to joining the Allied Health Department she gained clinical experience in operating theatres within a leading London teaching hospital. Particular areas of expertise within the perioperative field include anatomy and physiology, surgical procedures, and scrub skills.
Developing the students' appreciation of psychosocial issues in surgical care, focusing on the importance compassion and dignity for every patient is central to her teaching philosophy.
Chris is also involved in the delivery of Inter-professional healthcare education, and has experience of teaching across other Allied Health disciplines within the framework of the Inter-professional Scheme for Allied Health at LSBU.
In addition to professional qualifications as an ODP, Chris has undertaken a BSc (Hons) in Health Studies (Complementary therapies) and is qualified in aromatherapy and massage.
CertHE Perioperative Practice / BSc Operating Dept Practice
Level 4 (Year 1)
- Introduction to Working in the Perioperative Environment
- Basic Anatomy and Physiology for Perioperative Practice
- Fundamental Perioperative Practice Skills
- Caring for Individuals in the Perioperative Environment
- Building Operating Department Practice Skills / Perioperative Skills
- Concepts of Interprofessional Practice in Health and Social Care
- BSc Operating Department Practice
Level 5 (Year 2)
- Developing Operating Department Practice Skills
- Post Anaesthesia Care Skills
- Scope of Practice for Operating Department Practitioners
- Perioperative Practice Skills for Paediatrics
- Emergency Care in Theatres
BSc (Hons) Professional Nursing Practice (Operating Department Care)
Level 6 (Year 3) Post-registration
- Fundamentals of Operating Department Care
- Evidence Based Operating Department Care
- Registered with Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Member of the Association for Perioperative Practice (AfPP)
- Within AfPP, Chris is also a member of the Special interest group for Educators, and sits on the Panel of Educational Experts who review and accredit educational material from a range of outside agencies
- Member of College of Operating Department Practice CUE forum (Clinical and University Educators forum)