Prof. Warren Turner
Prof. Warren Turner
Pro Vice Chancellor The Institute of Health and Social Care
Telephone:020 7815 8091
School:Health and Social Care
Prof. Warren Turner is the Pro Vice Chancellor of the School of Health and Social Care.
He trained as a podiatrist, qualifying in 1989, and since then has worked as a podiatrist in the NHS and in private practice, eventually specialising in the care of patients with diabetes and people with sports/musculo-skeletal injuries of the lower limbs.
Warren moved into academia in 1992, working at the University of Northampton School of Podiatry, becoming Head of School in 1995.
In 1998 he took a sabbatical to work in New Zealand where he undertook work towards his PhD investigating the efficacy of lasers in treating common conditions of the feet. He has helped to establish diabetic foot specialist centres in Ukraine.
He became Assistant Dean of the Health Faculty at the University of Derby in 2001 and moved to London South Bank University as Pro Dean of the Faculty of Health and Social Care in 2009.
Warren is currently also an advisor to Boots Ltd in respect of product development for Boots' high street foot care range and has assisted with the development of a number of new product lines.
He has co-authored three podiatry text books and co-authored several journal articles and presented papers at International Conferences.
Prof. Warren Turner is Pro Vice Chancellor/Dean of the School of Health and Social Care. He has responsibility for the management of the School's NHS contracts, finance resources, and enterprise. He also leads the overall CPPD provision for the School, and represents the School in relation to estates, health & safety, HR and finance issues.
Warren joined LSBU in 2009 having previously worked as Associate Dean at the University of Derby, and Head of School of Podiatry at the University of Northampton.
Warren has also worked for Universities in New Zealand and on academic and research programmes in Ukraine and Russia, where he and colleagues established centres of clinical excellence for the management of foot problems in people with diabetes, establishing comprehensive training programmes for doctors and nurses working in five regions of Ukraine.
Warren's specialist areas include:
- Health care professional education
- Health policy
- Foot health
- Lower limb biomechanics
- Human gait analysis
- Physiology and medicine
- Diabetes mellitus and the lower limb
- Laser therapy for skin and musculo-skeletal disorders
PhD research - effectiveness of laser therapy in podiatry
Current research interests
- Interprofessional education in health and social care
- E-learning pedagogy
Current research supervision
- Causes of attrition amongst nursing students
- Acupuncture for phantom limb pain
Previous research supervision
- Lower limb pain in children with velo-cardio-facial-syndrome
- The moral bases of professional and organisational obligation in health care
- Student nurse attitudes and behaviours towards substance misusers
- Maggot therapy in wound healing
- Stakeholder Governor, Kings College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
- Podiatry Advisor, Boots The Chemist Ltd.
- External Examiner, Oxford Brookes University
- External Examiner, University of Wolverhampton
Warren spends his spare time playing saxophone and piano, getting out into the countryside on UK canals and rivers and has recently taken an interest in making short films.