The Fawcett Society Conference 2018 - Know Our Worth
|Date:||17 October 2018|
|Time:||09:00 - 19:00|
|Organiser:||The Fawcett Society|
|Contact details:||0203 598 6154, email@example.com|
|Price:||£17 - £35|
Having celebrated 100 Years of the Women's Vote earlier this year, LSBU are proud to be hosting the Fawcett Society Annual Conference 2018
Know Our Worth. Disrupt. Challenge. Transform.
Join us at our annual conference for a day of inspiring panel discussions, interactive breakout sessions, an evening networking reception - and the chance to hear from women making history.
This year we are thrilled to announce our first keynote speaker as former BBC China Editor and equal pay champion Carrie Gracie. After her long battle for equal pay, Gracie chose to donate her backdated pay to the Fawcett Society earlier this year. The money will fund a legal support service to help low-income women negotiate equal pay, which we are launching this November.
The day will also include a welcome address from Fawcett Chief Executive Sam Smethers, and the opportunity to hear from Fawcett Chair Fiona Mactaggart.
Take part in our panel discussion and breakout sessions to explore themes centred around fighting for our rights, challenging traditional models of leadership, and transforming communities through local activism.
9 - 10am: Arrivals, registration and networking
10 - 10.30am: Welcome from Fawcett Chief Executive, Sam Smethers
10.30 - 11am: Keynote speech from Carrie Gracie, Former BBC China Editor
11 - 12.15pm: Panel discussion ‘Know Our Worth: get equal at work’ with panelists:
- Sam Smethers, Chief Executive at The Fawcett Society
- Jo Swinson MP, Deputy Leader of the Liberal Democrats
- Carrie Gracie, Former BBC China Editor
- Julie Jaye Charles, CEO of the Equalities National Council
- Catherine Mayer, Author and Co-Founder of the Women's Equality Party
12.30 - 2pm: Lunch & Networking in the Marketplace (1-2pm: AGM for Fawcett members)
2 - 3.30pm: Breakout Sessions. These are:
- Know Our Rights: This session will promote Fawcett's new Equal Pay fighting fund and also provide information on how to challenge discrimination at work. In partnership with YESS Employment and Leigh Day.
- Write Your Own Future: A panel discussion featuring feminist authors. Featuring gal-dem, an online magazine produced exclusively by women and non-binary people of colour.
- Local Activism - driving change on the ground: A workshop led by Katie Finnegan, Director of ‘Good Night Out’ and Co-Director ‘The Collective Liberation Project’. More details to be announced soon.
- Herlarious Reverse Mentoring - Reach your potential at speed: Reverse Mentoring led by Lynne Parker and Sue Lister from the UK's leading female comedy community Funny Women. Join this reverse mentoring session to find that person who is going to give you the vote of confidence from a place of neutrality and non-judgement. If you're interested in networking for the benefit of your career then this is the session for you.
More exciting breakout sessions to be announced soon!
3:30 - 4pm: Break
4.00 - 5.00pm: Panel discussion 'Can We All Be Feminists?' with panelists:
- Liv Little, Founder and Editor-In-Chief, gal-dem
- Jordan Stephens, artist and campaigner
- Kate Maltby, writer and academic
5 - 7pm: Evening Networking Reception
LINE-UP SUBJECT TO CHANGE
For more information, please visit The Fawcett Society website.
24 April 2019Two day workshop on sustainable biodiesel production
26 April 2019LGBT+ Sports Fair 2019
2 May 2019Celebration of 50 Years of Accredited Planning Education at LSBU
8 May 2019Postgraduate Open Evening
9 May 2019Film Screening: The Psychosis of Whiteness with Director Q&A
31 May 2019LSBU Project Management Conference - Bridging the gap between theory and practice
13 June 2019Breast screening for people with learning disabilities
22 June 2019University Open Day
7 October 2019School of Business Graduation Ceremony 2019
14 October 2019Graduation Ceremony: School of Arts and Creative Industries; School of Applied Sciences; School of Law and Social Sciences
Engineering student wins award for London’s best robot
12 April 2019
Chris Skidmore, Minister of State for Universities, visits LSBU’s School of Arts and Creative Industries
10 April 2019
LSBU Journalism students launch 'Paint London Green' anti-air pollution campaign
10 April 2019
LSBU ranks in top 200 universities globally for social impact
5 April 2019
LSBU publishes gender pay gap 2019 report
29 March 2019
LSBU Bus Venture Crawl 2019
28 March 2019
Smart Energy Network study launches at London South Bank University
27 March 2019
Dr Charles Graham visits Landor - the leading global brand consultancy
26 March 2019
LSBU Women's Netball team win university league
20 March 2019