The Fawcett Society Conference 2018 - Know Our Worth
|Date:||17 October 2018|
|Time:||09:00 - 19:00|
|Organiser:||The Fawcett Society|
|Contact details:||0203 598 6154, email@example.com|
|Price:||£17 - £35|
Having celebrated 100 Years of the Women's Vote earlier this year, LSBU are proud to be hosting the Fawcett Society Annual Conference 2018
Know Our Worth. Disrupt. Challenge. Transform.
Join us at our annual conference for a day of inspiring panel discussions, interactive breakout sessions, an evening networking reception - and the chance to hear from women making history.
This year we are thrilled to announce our first keynote speaker as former BBC China Editor and equal pay champion Carrie Gracie. After her long battle for equal pay, Gracie chose to donate her backdated pay to the Fawcett Society earlier this year. The money will fund a legal support service to help low-income women negotiate equal pay, which we are launching this November.
The day will also include a welcome address from Fawcett Chief Executive Sam Smethers, and the opportunity to hear from Fawcett Chair Fiona Mactaggart.
Take part in our panel discussion and breakout sessions to explore themes centred around fighting for our rights, challenging traditional models of leadership, and transforming communities through local activism.
9 - 10am: Arrivals, registration and networking
10 - 10.30am: Welcome from Fawcett Chief Executive, Sam Smethers
10.30 - 11am: Keynote speech from Carrie Gracie, Former BBC China Editor
11 - 12.15pm: Panel discussion ‘Know Our Worth: get equal at work’ with panelists:
- Sam Smethers, Chief Executive at The Fawcett Society
- Jo Swinson MP, Deputy Leader of the Liberal Democrats
- Carrie Gracie, Former BBC China Editor
- Julie Jaye Charles, CEO of the Equalities National Council
- Catherine Mayer, Author and Co-Founder of the Women's Equality Party
12.30 - 2pm: Lunch & Networking in the Marketplace (1-2pm: AGM for Fawcett members)
2 - 3.30pm: Breakout Sessions. These are:
- Know Our Rights: This session will promote Fawcett's new Equal Pay fighting fund and also provide information on how to challenge discrimination at work. In partnership with YESS Employment and Leigh Day.
- Write Your Own Future: A panel discussion featuring feminist authors. Featuring gal-dem, an online magazine produced exclusively by women and non-binary people of colour.
- Local Activism - driving change on the ground: A workshop led by Katie Finnegan, Director of ‘Good Night Out’ and Co-Director ‘The Collective Liberation Project’. More details to be announced soon.
- Herlarious Reverse Mentoring - Reach your potential at speed: Reverse Mentoring led by Lynne Parker and Sue Lister from the UK's leading female comedy community Funny Women. Join this reverse mentoring session to find that person who is going to give you the vote of confidence from a place of neutrality and non-judgement. If you're interested in networking for the benefit of your career then this is the session for you.
More exciting breakout sessions to be announced soon!
3:30 - 4pm: Break
4.00 - 5.00pm: Panel discussion 'Can We All Be Feminists?' with panelists:
- Liv Little, Founder and Editor-In-Chief, gal-dem
- Jordan Stephens, artist and campaigner
- Kate Maltby, writer and academic
5 - 7pm: Evening Networking Reception
LINE-UP SUBJECT TO CHANGE
For more information, please visit The Fawcett Society website.
20 June 2019PRODUCT OF SOUTH BANK: LSBU Product Design Degree Show 2019 - Day One
20 June 2019Money’s Importance from the Religious Perspective
21 June 2019Arts and Creative Industries Experience Day
21 June 2019PRODUCT OF SOUTH BANK: LSBU Product Design Degree Show 2019 - Day Two
21 June 2019Depicting the future of AI through art
22 June 2019PRODUCT OF SOUTH BANK: LSBU Product Design Degree Show 2019 - Day Three
22 June 2019University Open Day
24 June 2019Information Evening: International Human Resources Management
26 June 2019Open borders in Europe: current challenges from migration and from terrorism … working towards solutions
26 June 2019'Citizenship, Nation-Building and Identity in the EU' - Book Launch and Reception
LSBU’s Professor Alison Leary awarded MBE in Queen's Birthday Honours List 2019
14 June 2019
Lauren Webster, student at LSBU, wins at Women in Property Awards for the South East
12 June 2019
Ten place rise for LSBU in the Guardian League Table 2020
11 June 2019
Associate nursing professor at LSBU awarded place on 70@70 leadership programme
4 June 2019
Law student at LSBU wins double scholarship from the Honourable Society of Inner Temple
17 May 2019
LSBU hosts British Journalism Training Council conference
15 May 2019
London South Bank University supports MillionPlus #ThinkModern campaign
14 May 2019
LSBU's engineering students take on Constructionarium 2019
13 May 2019
LSBU chancellor co-hosts local business gathering with Southwark Chamber of Commerce
10 May 2019