The Fawcett Society Conference 2018 - Know Our Worth
|Date:||17 October 2018|
|Time:||09:00 - 19:00|
|Organiser:||The Fawcett Society|
|Contact details:||0203 598 6154, firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Price:||£17 - £35|
Having celebrated 100 Years of the Women's Vote earlier this year, LSBU are proud to be hosting the Fawcett Society Annual Conference 2018
Know Our Worth. Disrupt. Challenge. Transform.
Join us at our annual conference for a day of inspiring panel discussions, interactive breakout sessions, an evening networking reception - and the chance to hear from women making history.
This year we are thrilled to announce our first keynote speaker as former BBC China Editor and equal pay champion Carrie Gracie. After her long battle for equal pay, Gracie chose to donate her backdated pay to the Fawcett Society earlier this year. The money will fund a legal support service to help low-income women negotiate equal pay, which we are launching this November.
The day will also include a welcome address from Fawcett Chief Executive Sam Smethers, and the opportunity to hear from Fawcett Chair Fiona Mactaggart.
Take part in our panel discussion and breakout sessions to explore themes centred around fighting for our rights, challenging traditional models of leadership, and transforming communities through local activism.
9 - 10am: Arrivals, registration and networking
10 - 10.30am: Welcome from Fawcett Chief Executive, Sam Smethers
10.30 - 11am: Keynote speech from Carrie Gracie, Former BBC China Editor
11 - 12.15pm: Panel discussion ‘Know Our Worth: get equal at work’ with panelists:
- Sam Smethers, Chief Executive at The Fawcett Society
- Jo Swinson MP, Deputy Leader of the Liberal Democrats
- Carrie Gracie, Former BBC China Editor
- Julie Jaye Charles, CEO of the Equalities National Council
- Catherine Mayer, Author and Co-Founder of the Women's Equality Party
12.30 - 2pm: Lunch & Networking in the Marketplace (1-2pm: AGM for Fawcett members)
2 - 3.30pm: Breakout Sessions. These are:
- Know Our Rights: This session will promote Fawcett's new Equal Pay fighting fund and also provide information on how to challenge discrimination at work. In partnership with YESS Employment and Leigh Day.
- Write Your Own Future: A panel discussion featuring feminist authors. Featuring gal-dem, an online magazine produced exclusively by women and non-binary people of colour.
- Local Activism - driving change on the ground: A workshop led by Katie Finnegan, Director of ‘Good Night Out’ and Co-Director ‘The Collective Liberation Project’. More details to be announced soon.
- Herlarious Reverse Mentoring - Reach your potential at speed: Reverse Mentoring led by Lynne Parker and Sue Lister from the UK's leading female comedy community Funny Women. Join this reverse mentoring session to find that person who is going to give you the vote of confidence from a place of neutrality and non-judgement. If you're interested in networking for the benefit of your career then this is the session for you.
More exciting breakout sessions to be announced soon!
3:30 - 4pm: Break
4.00 - 5.00pm: Panel discussion 'Can We All Be Feminists?' with panelists:
- Liv Little, Founder and Editor-In-Chief, gal-dem
- Jordan Stephens, artist and campaigner
- Kate Maltby, writer and academic
5 - 7pm: Evening Networking Reception
LINE-UP SUBJECT TO CHANGE
For more information, please visit The Fawcett Society website.
28 August 2019International Conference on Renewable Energy and Vacuum Insulation for Nearly Zero Energy Buildings
28 August 2019CIPD courses at LSBU information evening
5 October 2019University Open Day
7 October 2019School of Business Graduation Ceremony 2019
14 October 2019Graduation Ceremony: School of Arts and Creative Industries; School of Applied Sciences; School of Law and Social Sciences
28 October 2019LSBU Graduations 2019: School of the Built Environment; School of Engineering
4 November 2019School of Health and Social Care Graduation Ceremony 2019
9 November 2019University Open Day
22 November 2019Choose Your Next Steps
27 November 2019Postgraduate Open Evening
Mature students aiming for career change make LSBU first choice in Clearing
15 August 2019
Chiropractic student wins ‘best new delegate’ at World Congress of Chiropractic Students AGM
6 August 2019
Drama graduates perform at Kingston's International Youth Arts Fringe Festival
8 July 2019
Design students win 2019 PVC Redesigned competition
5 July 2019
Bakery students achieve great success at the Alliance of Bakery Students and Trainees Conference 2019
3 July 2019
LSBU first UK university to launch fully chartered town planner apprenticeship scheme
27 June 2019
Engineering the Future: Two teams of LSBU students make it to Design Challenge National Finals
27 June 2019
LSBU celebrates wealth of local business talent at Southwark Business Awards Gala Finale
18 June 2019
Creative Technologies students celebrate work at End of Year Show
14 June 2019