Health and wellbeing
Your student experience should enable you to excel in your studies and thrive in all areas of your life
We want to support you in looking after your physical, mental and emotional health and wellbeing; they are all connected and equally important.
Mental health and wellbeing
University life is exciting, stimulating and hard work. We know that life as a student can sometimes bring a set of unique challenges and that life outside of university can sometimes be just as demanding as your studies. Our team is here to support you when you need it, and to help you get the most out of your time at university.
We’re available to all LSBU students and offer a confidential and collaborative space to discuss what’s on your mind.
- Support and advice to any student who believes they’d benefit from talking through what’s getting in the way of successful study
- A confidential, safe space to talk
- Face-to-face and telephone appointments - Monday-Friday
- Access to self-help resources, including 24/7 access to online support platform SilverCloud
- Wellbeing workshops, events and interventions across campus throughout the year
Before you arrive
If you’ve applied to study at LSBU and think you’d benefit from finding out more about the kinds of support available please get in touch for a pre-enrolment meeting by emailing email@example.com or phoning 020 7815 6454.
Visit us in the Student Life Centre or find out more about our team on our student portal MyLSBU.
Registering with a doctor and dentist
We strongly advise students to register with a doctor as soon as you enrol so that you can obtain immediate medical advice and assistance if you fall ill or have an accident.
Information on registering with a local GP is available on the NHS website and provided during Welcome Week. The closest GP surgery to the Southwark Campus is Princess Street Surgery.
For dental care you’ll need to register with a local dentist. Search the NHS website for local NHS dentists.
For advice email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7815 6454.
We recommend that all students are vaccinated against Meningitis and Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR).
All new university students up to the age of 25 are being offered free Men ACWY vaccine to prevent illness caused by the four different strains of the meningococcal bacteria that cause meningitis and blood poisoning (septicaemia).
Meningitis is rare but it is a serious disease which can easily spread among students living in close proximity.
The advice is for all new university entrants to be vaccinated with the Men ACWY vaccine before starting university.
International students are advised to get immunised in their home country before the start of university. Please ask your doctor / nurse for the Men ACWY vaccine.
What happens if you’re not immunised before the start of university?
- If you are entitled to free medical treatment on the NHS you may be eligible to receive the vaccinations. These are available from your local UK doctor – you should register with your local doctor as soon as possible.
- If you are not entitled to free NHS treatment, you can get vaccinations from a local travel clinic which you may need to pay for.
Religious support and Multi Faith Chaplaincy
There are a number of faith based societies running through LSBU’s Students’ Union. These include the Christian Union, Islamic Society and the Hindu Society. For the latest information on these and all societies visit the Students' Union website.
Student chaplaincy at LSBU is here for everyone and offers:
- Pastoral care and support for students from all faith backgrounds and none
- An open and non-judgmental service for everyone
- Exploring faith and the big issues – opportunities to discuss the big issues and get involved in celebrating religious and other festivals and events
- Opportunities for students to worship, pray and study together
- Volunteering – opportunities for students to get involved in local community activities
23 August 2018CIPD courses at LSBU information evening
27 September 2018Dr Rami Ranger CBE Annual Enterprise Lecture
1 October 2018Graduation Ceremony - School of The Built Environment and Architecture; School of Engineering
6 October 2018University Open Day
15 October 2018Graduation Ceremony - School of Arts and Creative Industries; School of Applied Sciences; School of Law and Social Sciences
19 October 2018A season of Shakespeare: A Midsummer Night’s Dream
20 October 2018A season of Shakespeare: A Midsummer Night’s Dream
29 October 2018Graduation Ceremony - School of Business
31 October 2018Extended Project Support Programme
5 November 2018Graduation Ceremony - School of Health and Social Care
LSBU awarded Gold standard for supporting armed forces community
8 August 2018
Former MP and minister appointed University Chancellor
1 August 2018
Two student teams reach Engineering Design Challenge National Final
9 July 2018
LSBU academic chosen as one of the top figures in NHS history
3 July 2018
Academic wins award for pioneering research on kidney care
29 June 2018
Ex-smokers might be better off with high rather than low nicotine e-cigs
18 June 2018
LSBU students provide solutions for the local business community
14 June 2018
Ground-breaking report shows gangs are more money than territory-orientated
5 June 2018
Another solid rise for LSBU in league tables
1 June 2018