Health and wellbeing
Your student experience should enable you to excel in your studies and thrive in all areas of your life
We want to support you in looking after your physical, mental and emotional health and wellbeing; they are all connected and equally important.
Mental health and wellbeing
University life is exciting, stimulating and hard work. We know that life as a student can sometimes bring a set of unique challenges and that life outside of university can sometimes be just as demanding as your studies. Our team is here to support you when you need it, and to help you get the most out of your time at university.
We’re available to all LSBU students and offer a confidential and collaborative space to discuss what’s on your mind.
- Support and advice to any student who believes they’d benefit from talking through what’s getting in the way of successful study
- A confidential, safe space to talk
- Face-to-face and telephone appointments - Monday-Friday
- Access to self-help resources, including 24/7 access to online support platform SilverCloud
- Wellbeing workshops, events and interventions across campus throughout the year
Before you arrive
If you’ve applied to study at LSBU and think you’d benefit from finding out more about the kinds of support available please get in touch for a pre-enrolment meeting by emailing email@example.com or phoning 020 7815 6454.
Visit us in the Student Life Centre or find out more about our team on our student portal MyLSBU.
Registering with a doctor and dentist
We strongly advise students to register with a doctor as soon as you enrol so that you can obtain immediate medical advice and assistance if you fall ill or have an accident.
Information on registering with a local GP is available on the NHS website and provided during Welcome Week. The closest GP surgery to the Southwark Campus is Princess Street Surgery.
For dental care you’ll need to register with a local dentist. Search the NHS website for local NHS dentists.
For advice email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7815 6454.
We recommend that all students are vaccinated against Meningitis and Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR).
All new university students up to the age of 25 are being offered free Men ACWY vaccine to prevent illness caused by the four different strains of the meningococcal bacteria that cause meningitis and blood poisoning (septicaemia).
Meningitis is rare but it is a serious disease which can easily spread among students living in close proximity.
The advice is for all new university entrants to be vaccinated with the Men ACWY vaccine before starting university.
International students are advised to get immunised in their home country before the start of university. Please ask your doctor / nurse for the Men ACWY vaccine.
What happens if you’re not immunised before the start of university?
- If you are entitled to free medical treatment on the NHS you may be eligible to receive the vaccinations. These are available from your local UK doctor – you should register with your local doctor as soon as possible.
- If you are not entitled to free NHS treatment, you can get vaccinations from a local travel clinic which you may need to pay for.
Religious support and Multi Faith Chaplaincy
There are a number of faith based societies running through LSBU’s Students’ Union. These include the Christian Union, Islamic Society and the Hindu Society. For the latest information on these and all societies visit the Students' Union website.
Student chaplaincy at LSBU is here for everyone and offers:
- Pastoral care and support for students from all faith backgrounds and none
- An open and non-judgmental service for everyone
- Exploring faith and the big issues – opportunities to discuss the big issues and get involved in celebrating religious and other festivals and events
- Opportunities for students to worship, pray and study together
- Volunteering – opportunities for students to get involved in local community activities
20 June 2019PRODUCT OF SOUTH BANK: LSBU Product Design Degree Show 2019 - Day One
20 June 2019Money’s Importance from the Religious Perspective
21 June 2019Arts and Creative Industries Experience Day
21 June 2019PRODUCT OF SOUTH BANK: LSBU Product Design Degree Show 2019 - Day Two
21 June 2019Depicting the future of AI through art
22 June 2019PRODUCT OF SOUTH BANK: LSBU Product Design Degree Show 2019 - Day Three
22 June 2019University Open Day
24 June 2019Information Evening: International Human Resources Management
26 June 2019Open borders in Europe: current challenges from migration and from terrorism … working towards solutions
26 June 2019'Citizenship, Nation-Building and Identity in the EU' - Book Launch and Reception
LSBU’s Professor Alison Leary awarded MBE in Queen's Birthday Honours List 2019
14 June 2019
Lauren Webster, student at LSBU, wins at Women in Property Awards for the South East
12 June 2019
Ten place rise for LSBU in the Guardian League Table 2020
11 June 2019
Associate nursing professor at LSBU awarded place on 70@70 leadership programme
4 June 2019
Law student at LSBU wins double scholarship from the Honourable Society of Inner Temple
17 May 2019
LSBU hosts British Journalism Training Council conference
15 May 2019
London South Bank University supports MillionPlus #ThinkModern campaign
14 May 2019
LSBU's engineering students take on Constructionarium 2019
13 May 2019
LSBU chancellor co-hosts local business gathering with Southwark Chamber of Commerce
10 May 2019