Careers and employability
Our department is recognised across the allied health sciences for developing innovative study programmes that reflect changes currently happening in the workplace. We support our students throughout their studying to develop their chosen career path by working closely with NHS Trusts and healthcare professionals to ensure they gain the appropriate skills on placements in hospitals, clinics and the community to become qualified allied healthcare professionals.
- Pre-registration (undergraduate)
- The first step to becoming a qualified allied health professional is to study a degree approved by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). LSBU's Allied Health Science degrees in Operating Department Practice, Occupational Therapy and Therapeutic and Diagnostic Radiography are approved by the HCPC. Our Acupuncture programme is accredited by the British Acupuncture Accreditation Board (BAAB). As a successful graduate you will be able to apply and join the HCPC or the British Acupuncture Council. Once registered, you'll formally become a qualified allied health professional certified to practice within the NHS.
- Pre-registration (postgraduate)
- Our pre-registration postgraduate diploma in Occupational Therapy and Therapeutic Radiography enables graduates to gain professional registration in these professions on a fast-track two year course. The first step to becoming a qualified allied health professional is to study a degree or postgraduate diploma accredited by the HCPC.
- Post-registration refers to a registered healthcare professional, who is qualified and working as a nurse or allied health professional. Post-registration courses are only suitable for those currently working as a healthcare professional.
Much of our training is delivered practically through on-site placements, which offer a vital part of a student's professional development. That's why we are so proud to partner with some of the very best hospitals and trusts. Specific partners are detailed below by their area of study and further details of placements are provided in course entries:
- Therapeutic Radiography placements
- Diagnostic Radiography placements
- Operating Department Practice (ODP) placements
- Occupational Therapy placements
- Chinese Clinic clinical practice
All of our individual course entries have specialist careers information. Browse our courses.
- Careers in Occupational Therapy
- Occupational therapists (OTs) assess and treat physical and psychiatric conditions with activities that help prevent disability and promote independent living. The field covers physical rehabilitation, learning disability, environmental adaptation and care management. Find out more about occupational therapy careers.
- Careers in Operating Department Practice
- Operating Department Practitioners (ODPs) perform alongside surgeons, anaesthetists and theatre nurses to ensure every operation is as safe and effective as possible. As part of the peri-operative team they are involved with assessing, delivering and evaluating a patient's anaesthesia, surgery and recovery. Find out more about operating department practice careers.
- Careers in Diagnostic Radiography
- Diagnostic radiographers use X-rays, ultrasound and other forms of imaging technology to examine patients and diagnose illnesses and injuries. Diagnostic radiographers work in a variety of hospital departments, including wards, A&E and operating theatres. Find out more about diagnostic radiography careers.
- Careers in Therapeutic Radiography
- Therapeutic radiographers work as part of an oncology team, specialising in the planning and administration of radiotherapy treatment for patients, most of whom have cancer. They plan and deliver a course of treatment for a cancer patient, from the initial referral through to providing post-treatment and follow-up care. Find out more about therapeutic radiography careers.
- Careers in Acupuncture
- An acupuncturist is a complementary health practitioner who takes a holistic approach to the maintenance of health and management of disease with a focus on improving the overall wellbeing of a patient. Find out more about acupuncture careers.
Continuing Personal and Professional Development (CPPD)
We have a Continuing Personal and Professional Development (CPPD) portfolio which includes a range of flexible programmes, modules, study days, e-learning and bespoke projects that all meet the needs of our service colleagues. They are underpinned by a robust research and practice-based culture.
Programmes are designed and implemented in collaboration with service colleagues who support the development of a workforce to lead and innovate into the future.
Browse our CPPD prospectus online.
For further information download CPPD Frequently asked questions.
19 October 2018Black History Month at LSBU Launch Event
25 October 2018London Primary Care Quality Academy Workshop
30 October 2018Non-Medical Prescribing CPD Study Day
5 November 2018Graduation Ceremony - School of Health and Social Care
14 November 2018Showcasing AHP advanced practice and innovation across London
LSBU academic chosen as one of the top figures in NHS history
3 July 2018
Academic wins award for pioneering research on kidney care
29 June 2018
Ground-breaking report shows gangs are more money than territory-orientated
5 June 2018
LSBU wins Partnership of the Year with St Mungo’s at the Student Nursing Times Award 2018
21 May 2018
Remodelling crowd medical services in the English football league, a study by LSBU and Millwall Football Club
4 May 2018
LSBU double alumna appointed first female Bishop of London
20 December 2017
Urgent action required to support healthcare staff
5 December 2017
Thomas’ success proves Asperger’s is no barrier in academia
29 November 2017
Sophie gives back to St Thomas’ after they save her life
23 November 2017