Careers and employability
Our courses are designed to ensure they provide you with the wide range of skills and experience required to develop successful and meaningful careers as a registered nurse or midwife.
- Pre-registration nursing (undergraduate)
- Nursing is now an all graduate profession. LSBU’s nursing degrees are accredited by the NMC. As a successful graduate you will eligible to apply and join the NMC Professional Register of Nurses and Midwives. Once registered, you'll be able to apply for any health-related job requiring qualified nurses..
- Pre-registration nursing (postgraduate)
- The pre-registration postgraduate diploma in nursing enables graduates from any discipline to gain professional registration in nursing on a fast track two-year course. LSBU’s postgraduate diploma in nursing is accredited by the NMC. As a successful graduate you'll be able to apply and join the NMC Professional Register of Nurses. Once registered, you'll be able to apply for any health-related job requiring qualified nurses.
- Post-registration refers to a registered healthcare professional, who is qualified and is working as a nurse, or midwife. Post-registration courses are only suitable for those who are currently working as a qualified healthcare professional.
All of our individual course entries have specialist careers information. Search our courses.
Careers in midwifery
A qualified midwife gives necessary care, advice and supervision, to women during pregnancy, labour and the postpartum period. They are responsible for overseeing deliveries and the care of newborn babies for the first 28 days of their lives.
Find out more about careers in midwifery.
Careers in adult nursing
Adult nurses care for adult patients suffering from acute and long-term illnesses and diseases. They support recovery from illness or operation by using care plans, carrying out care procedures and assessments.
Find out more about careers in adult nursing.
Continuing Personal and Professional Development (CPPD)
Our Continuing Personal and Professional Development (CPPD) portfolio includes a range of flexible programmes, modules, study days, e-learning and bespoke projects that all meet the needs of our service colleagues, underpinned by a robust research and practice-based culture.
Our programmes are designed and implemented in collaboration with service colleagues supporting the development of a workforce to lead and innovate into the future.
- Browse our online CPPD health prospectus
- Download the CPPD Frequently Asked Questions Guide (PDF File 293 KB).
27 September 2018Dr Rami Ranger CBE Annual Enterprise Lecture
5 November 2018Graduation Ceremony - School of Health and Social Care
14 November 2018Showcasing AHP advanced practice and innovation across London
LSBU academic chosen as one of the top figures in NHS history
3 July 2018
Academic wins award for pioneering research on kidney care
29 June 2018
Ground-breaking report shows gangs are more money than territory-orientated
5 June 2018
LSBU wins Partnership of the Year with St Mungo’s at the Student Nursing Times Award 2018
21 May 2018
Remodelling crowd medical services in the English football league, a study by LSBU and Millwall Football Club
4 May 2018
LSBU double alumna appointed first female Bishop of London
20 December 2017
Urgent action required to support healthcare staff
5 December 2017
Thomas’ success proves Asperger’s is no barrier in academia
29 November 2017
Sophie gives back to St Thomas’ after they save her life
23 November 2017