You'll gain the knowledge and training needed to meet future demands for products and services in mechanical engineering, mechatronics and product and engineering product design.
Well-placed and considered investment means you'll have access to up-to-date and large-scale workshops, laboratories and design studios. And you'll learn in an environment that is absolutely in tune with leading technologies.
Take a tour of the Engine and Petrol Laboratories.
Our virtual engineering laboratory allows engineering students to walk around their designs and view them in 3-D, as well as experiment and improve on them in real-time.
- Design and manufacturing workshops – traditional soft modelling and prototyping facilities, the latest Computer Numerical Control (CNC) machining technology, industry-standard lathes, milling machines and metal sheet cutters
- Rapid prototyping technology – multi-material 3D printers and laser cutters.
- Innovative virtual engineering laboratory with multi-avatar virtual reality capability
- Electronics laboratories for process and machine control, and coding for microprocessors and the Arduino platform
- Dedicated robotics and mechatronics laboratory
- Engine laboratory (diesel and petrol)
- Thermodynamic laboratory
- Materials testing laboratory
- Adobe Suite
- Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects, Premiere: industry standard software for professional graphic design, film and video editing and website development.
- Autodesk Suite
- AutoCAD, Inventor, Alias, VRed: a comprehensive 3D rendering software package that delivers simulation, collaboration, visualisation and digital prototyping tools for the complete design and engineering process.
- Simulation software that enables students to create models that predict how their products will operate in the real world. For example, our Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) package allows students to model air flow over vehicles, while our Finite Element Analysis (FEA) package helps students select the optimum materials and components for their design proposals.
- Siemens NX
- This advanced engineering package is perfect for digital manufacture and equips students for work in a typical professional environment.
- MATLAB® is a high-level language and interactive environment for numerical computation, visualization, and programming. You can use MATLAB for a range of applications, including signal processing and communications, control systems, test and measurement. More than a million engineers and scientists in industry and academia use MATLAB, the language of technical computing.
- A graphical programming platform that helps engineers scale from design to test, and from small to large systems. It is a development environment for problem solving, accelerated productivity, and continual innovation.
Facilities for materials testing
Our facilities for materials research are extensive and include sophisticated equipment for growing engineering coatings and functional thin films for devices such as solar cells. They support sophisticated characterisation techniques, including electron and atomic force microscopies and nanohardness testing that probe materials at the nanoscale.
In our on-going desire to be in line with current technologies, we have installed scanning acoustic microscopy technology to non-destructively examine sub-surface defects and features.
Accessing our facilities
Our extensive facilities and talented students and staff are regularly involved in knowledge transfer and consultation activities with industry. Follow these links to find out more about how we work with businesses at LSBU and about facilities and venue hire at LSBU.
28 February 2019Closet Worker - How LGBT+ rights have shaped the workplace
6 March 2019Casual Misogyny and Sexism - Banter or Oppression?
24 April 2019Two day workshop on sustainable biodiesel production
Branching out: LSBU research fellow tours universities UK-wide to promote The Great Competition
14 January 2019
Engineering students win big at the Engineering Sketches Prize
13 December 2018
Research project at LSBU takes coveted award
13 December 2018
£10,000 win for LSBU student’s water heating solution
14 November 2018
LSBU professor awarded for major engineering management accomplishments
6 November 2018
Calling all Engineers: LSBU’s Thomas Empson urges creative contributions to sustainable development
1 November 2018
Two student teams reach Engineering Design Challenge National Final
9 July 2018
Product Design students deliver creative Airlander concepts
3 May 2018
His Royal Highness The Duke of York officially opens South Bank Engineering University Training College
9 February 2018