We have a variety of teaching labs with different layouts to suit different types of classes, and the workstations in our labs are all high performance. Here are some of the software packages we have available for students to use:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012
- SQL Server 2012 and Microsoft Business Intelligence (BI) tools are globally recognised for capabilities in Data Warehousing, processing Big Data and Business Analytics including OLAP. Students learn to use SQL Server Analysis Services and Microsoft BI tools to perform ad-hoc queries of big data on various data sources, as well as learning about the fundamental architectures and processes that support Big Data.
- Netbeans 7.x with Java 7
- Over 3 billion devices globally run Java applications. With the rise in popularity of cloud computing, the modern organisations need developers who can keep pace with the changing technology and business market needs. Students use Netbeans 7.x with Java 7, to learn to model, code, test, and deploy robust and portable Java applications. Where applicable, you will learn to develop appropriate web services to support Cloud Computing environments.
- Oracle Database 11g is market leading, reliable, secure and easy to manage for all types of database workloads including enterprise applications, data warehouses and big data analysis. Students use Oracle 11g as part of learning about the lifecycle of a database, learning to model, code, test and deploy relational database systems.
- Python is an Open Source programming language that lets you work quickly and integrate your systems more effectively. Python is free to use because of its OSI-approved open source license. Students learn Python to code, test, and deploy e-commerce B2B, B2C applications.
- SAS is a leading vendor in business analytics software and services, and the largest independent vendor in the business intelligence market. Students use SAS Enterprise Miner to build and analyse Big Data, producing reports, charts and predictive models. They use algorithms and apply the latest Business Intelligence and Business Analytics tools and techniques.
- Visual Paradigm
- Visual Paradigm for UML (VP-UML) is a Unified Modelling Language (UML) design tool and UML CASE tool designed to aid software development. VP-UML supports key modelling standards such as Unified Modelling Language (UML) 2.4, SoaML, SysML, ERD and DFD. Students use VP-UML software (often working in project teams) for requirements capturing, software planning (use case analysis), code engineering, class modelling and data modelling for software development projects.
Accessing our facilities
Our extensive facilities and talented students and staff are regularly involved in knowledge transfer and consultation activities with industry. Follow these links to find out more about how we work with businesses at LSBU and about facilities and venue hire at LSBU.
Product Design students deliver creative Airlander concepts
3 May 2018
His Royal Highness The Duke of York officially opens South Bank Engineering University Training College
9 February 2018
LSBU University student wins national bursary for engineering talent
29 January 2018
Thomas’ success proves Asperger’s is no barrier in academia
29 November 2017
LSBU leads by example in tackling sustainability challenges
22 November 2017
Mayor of London certifies LSBU a healthy place to work
15 November 2017
Discover the Changing Face of Elephant & Castle at LSBU
14 November 2017
LSBU awards six honorary graduates and fellows
10 November 2017
LSBU celebrates 125 year Anniversary with Parliamentary reception
9 November 2017