Formula Student is organised by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers in partnership with the Society of Automotive Engineers. The competition sees teams from all across the globe taking part in the events at Silverstone in July shortly following the end of the annual British Grand Prix. 110 teams take part in the Class 1 events with fully constructed and running vehicles; Class 2 is reserved for teams still in the design and manufacturing processes who will compete in Class 1 the following year.
LSBU Motorsports is comprised of a group of engineering students, whose goal is to design, build, test and present a race-worthy vehicle to Formula Student.
Facts and figures
- 156 student teams from 34 countries have been chosen for Formula Student 2016.
- Formula Student culminates in a competition to be held from the 14-17 July at Silverstone. The first Formula Student, held at the MIRA proving ground in July 1998, featured just seven teams.
- Formula Student UK is part of a global series of similar events linked by organising body Formula SAE.
- The cars can go from 0-60mph in less than three seconds.
- Formula Student usually forms part of the students’ engineering degree course and counts towards their final mark.
24 April 2019Two day workshop on sustainable biodiesel production
26 April 2019LGBT+ Sports Fair 2019
Engineering student wins award for London’s best robot
12 April 2019
Smart Energy Network study launches at London South Bank University
27 March 2019
Branching out: LSBU research fellow tours universities UK-wide to promote The Great Competition
14 January 2019
Engineering students win big at the Engineering Sketches Prize
13 December 2018
Research project at LSBU takes coveted award
13 December 2018
£10,000 win for LSBU student’s water heating solution
14 November 2018
LSBU professor awarded for major engineering management accomplishments
6 November 2018
Calling all Engineers: LSBU’s Thomas Empson urges creative contributions to sustainable development
1 November 2018
Two student teams reach Engineering Design Challenge National Final
9 July 2018