London Institute for Real Estate (LifRE)
The institute intends to make the university a leading global provider of industry-ready real estate graduates
Research at the institute is closely linked to academic content at LSBU. The intent is that the institute will make the university's goal of being a leading global provider of industry-ready graduates in the field of real estate highly tangible. The centre is also heaving involved with offering excellent executive training, consultancy and research in the sector.
A recent market research report commissioned by LSBU established the main strategic objectives of the institute as:
- provide high quality and professionally applicable executive training and education to the real estate sector
- provide enhanced research and consultancy support to the sector
- engage with LSBU's leading real estate sector alumni
- achieve a leading market role for our real estate and built environment related offer
Current activity in the institute
The growth of the London Institute for Real Estate has already been supported by a number of specific research and enterprise activities involving staff and alumni of our departmental property courses. These include:
- The MBA International Real Estate London Block course
- Jointly developed with the Akademie of Biberach University (Germany), the course has celebrated its 12th year under the joint leadership of Prof Gisela Goetz (Germany) and Dr Gheorghe Multescu (LSBU/LIRE). This international programme has delivered over 300 MBA graduates for the global property markets and enjoys a high rate of success in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and the UK.
- Applied research and consultancy
- The centre delivers research findings to the real estate sector, including its ongoing research project about 'The Role of German open-ended funds in the City of London Office Market'. Members also regularly participates at global real estate conferences, with two research papers being delivered most recently by Dr Gheorghe Multescu during the ERES conference, Edinburgh, in June 2012.
- The LSBU Graduate Recruitment Survey
- Started in 2011, in collaboration with Property Week, under the leadership of LSBU Course Director, MSc Real Estate, Scott King. A second Graduate Survey published by Property Week in 2012 revealed a tough but competitive property industry environment for graduates in search of placements with property firms. The Graduate Recruitment Survey aims to become an annual publication gauging the state of the UK graduate property market.
- LifRE Alumni launch
- The centre regularly hosts alumni meetings and biannual graduate events such as presentations by prestigious leading figures in the property sector. Activity focuses on forging closer links between LSBU property alumni and current teaching activities in order to foster further research and enterprise to reinvest in future initiatives at LSBU.
- Annual programme of events
- There are lectures and networking sessions from LifRE academic members, research students and visiting researchers, often linked to research and developments of general interest such as sustainability, international finance, regeneration areas in the Middle East and Asia.
- High level executive training
- These are intended for senior and middle managers in the real estate sector delivered as short courses by LSBU staff and invited speakers. Training is typically given in one-week blocks, each on an area of significant interest eg sustainability, growth markets and funding. Blocks are structured to enable people to build them into an MBA/MSc if they wish.
- Advisory board
- Members are drawn from leading real estate companies who primarily represent LSBU real estate alumni to promote the benefits of professional education and research support to the industry. The board offers advice on the educational content of programmes and development and dissemination programmes that underpin lectures and projects; advising on and assisting with raising the institute's profile.
28 August 2019International Conference on Renewable Energy and Vacuum Insulation for Nearly Zero Energy Buildings
28 August 2019CIPD courses at LSBU information evening
5 October 2019University Open Day
7 October 2019School of Business Graduation Ceremony 2019
14 October 2019Graduation Ceremony: School of Arts and Creative Industries; School of Applied Sciences; School of Law and Social Sciences
28 October 2019LSBU Graduations 2019: School of the Built Environment; School of Engineering
4 November 2019School of Health and Social Care Graduation Ceremony 2019
9 November 2019University Open Day
22 November 2019Choose Your Next Steps
27 November 2019Postgraduate Open Evening
Enabling engineers to become more entrepreneurial
23 August 2019
Mature students aiming for career change make LSBU first choice in Clearing
15 August 2019
Chiropractic student wins ‘best new delegate’ at World Congress of Chiropractic Students AGM
6 August 2019
Drama graduates perform at Kingston's International Youth Arts Fringe Festival
8 July 2019
Design students win 2019 PVC Redesigned competition
5 July 2019
Bakery students achieve great success at the Alliance of Bakery Students and Trainees Conference 2019
3 July 2019
LSBU first UK university to launch fully chartered town planner apprenticeship scheme
27 June 2019
Engineering the Future: Two teams of LSBU students make it to Design Challenge National Finals
27 June 2019
LSBU celebrates wealth of local business talent at Southwark Business Awards Gala Finale
18 June 2019