London Institute for Real Estate (LifRE)
The institute intends to make the university a leading global provider of industry-ready real estate graduates
Research at the institute is closely linked to academic content at LSBU. The intent is that the institute will make the university's goal of being a leading global provider of industry-ready graduates in the field of real estate highly tangible. The centre is also heaving involved with offering excellent executive training, consultancy and research in the sector.
A recent market research report commissioned by LSBU established the main strategic objectives of the institute as:
- provide high quality and professionally applicable executive training and education to the real estate sector
- provide enhanced research and consultancy support to the sector
- engage with LSBU's leading real estate sector alumni
- achieve a leading market role for our real estate and built environment related offer
Current activity in the institute
The growth of the London Institute for Real Estate has already been supported by a number of specific research and enterprise activities involving staff and alumni of our departmental property courses. These include:
- The MBA International Real Estate London Block course
- Jointly developed with the Akademie of Biberach University (Germany), the course has celebrated its 12th year under the joint leadership of Prof Gisela Goetz (Germany) and Dr Gheorghe Multescu (LSBU/LIRE). This international programme has delivered over 300 MBA graduates for the global property markets and enjoys a high rate of success in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and the UK.
- Applied research and consultancy
- The centre delivers research findings to the real estate sector, including its ongoing research project about 'The Role of German open-ended funds in the City of London Office Market'. Members also regularly participates at global real estate conferences, with two research papers being delivered most recently by Dr Gheorghe Multescu during the ERES conference, Edinburgh, in June 2012.
- The LSBU Graduate Recruitment Survey
- Started in 2011, in collaboration with Property Week, under the leadership of LSBU Course Director, MSc Real Estate, Scott King. A second Graduate Survey published by Property Week in 2012 revealed a tough but competitive property industry environment for graduates in search of placements with property firms. The Graduate Recruitment Survey aims to become an annual publication gauging the state of the UK graduate property market.
- LifRE Alumni launch
- The centre regularly hosts alumni meetings and biannual graduate events such as presentations by prestigious leading figures in the property sector. Activity focuses on forging closer links between LSBU property alumni and current teaching activities in order to foster further research and enterprise to reinvest in future initiatives at LSBU.
- Annual programme of events
- There are lectures and networking sessions from LifRE academic members, research students and visiting researchers, often linked to research and developments of general interest such as sustainability, international finance, regeneration areas in the Middle East and Asia.
- High level executive training
- These are intended for senior and middle managers in the real estate sector delivered as short courses by LSBU staff and invited speakers. Training is typically given in one-week blocks, each on an area of significant interest eg sustainability, growth markets and funding. Blocks are structured to enable people to build them into an MBA/MSc if they wish.
- Advisory board
- Members are drawn from leading real estate companies who primarily represent LSBU real estate alumni to promote the benefits of professional education and research support to the industry. The board offers advice on the educational content of programmes and development and dissemination programmes that underpin lectures and projects; advising on and assisting with raising the institute's profile.
20 June 2019PRODUCT OF SOUTH BANK: LSBU Product Design Degree Show 2019 - Day One
20 June 2019Money’s Importance from the Religious Perspective
21 June 2019Arts and Creative Industries Experience Day
21 June 2019PRODUCT OF SOUTH BANK: LSBU Product Design Degree Show 2019 - Day Two
21 June 2019Depicting the future of AI through art
22 June 2019PRODUCT OF SOUTH BANK: LSBU Product Design Degree Show 2019 - Day Three
22 June 2019University Open Day
24 June 2019Information Evening: International Human Resources Management
26 June 2019Open borders in Europe: current challenges from migration and from terrorism … working towards solutions
26 June 2019'Citizenship, Nation-Building and Identity in the EU' - Book Launch and Reception
Creative Technologies students celebrate work at End of Year Show
14 June 2019
LSBU’s Professor Alison Leary awarded MBE in Queen's Birthday Honours List 2019
14 June 2019
Lauren Webster, student at LSBU, wins at Women in Property Awards for the South East
12 June 2019
Ten place rise for LSBU in the Guardian League Table 2020
11 June 2019
Associate nursing professor at LSBU awarded place on 70@70 leadership programme
4 June 2019
Law student at LSBU wins double scholarship from the Honourable Society of Inner Temple
17 May 2019
LSBU hosts British Journalism Training Council conference
15 May 2019
London South Bank University supports MillionPlus #ThinkModern campaign
14 May 2019
LSBU's engineering students take on Constructionarium 2019
13 May 2019