London Institute for Real Estate (LifRE)
The institute intends to make the university a leading global provider of industry-ready real estate graduates
Research at the institute is closely linked to academic content at LSBU. The intent is that the institute will make the university's goal of being a leading global provider of industry-ready graduates in the field of real estate highly tangible. The centre is also heaving involved with offering excellent executive training, consultancy and research in the sector.
A recent market research report commissioned by LSBU established the main strategic objectives of the institute as:
- provide high quality and professionally applicable executive training and education to the real estate sector
- provide enhanced research and consultancy support to the sector
- engage with LSBU's leading real estate sector alumni
- achieve a leading market role for our real estate and built environment related offer
Current activity in the institute
The growth of the London Institute for Real Estate has already been supported by a number of specific research and enterprise activities involving staff and alumni of our departmental property courses. These include:
- The MBA International Real Estate London Block course
- Jointly developed with the Akademie of Biberach University (Germany), the course has celebrated its 12th year under the joint leadership of Prof Gisela Goetz (Germany) and Dr Gheorghe Multescu (LSBU/LIRE). This international programme has delivered over 300 MBA graduates for the global property markets and enjoys a high rate of success in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and the UK.
- Applied research and consultancy
- The centre delivers research findings to the real estate sector, including its ongoing research project about 'The Role of German open-ended funds in the City of London Office Market'. Members also regularly participates at global real estate conferences, with two research papers being delivered most recently by Dr Gheorghe Multescu during the ERES conference, Edinburgh, in June 2012.
- The LSBU Graduate Recruitment Survey
- Started in 2011, in collaboration with Property Week, under the leadership of LSBU Course Director, MSc Real Estate, Scott King. A second Graduate Survey published by Property Week in 2012 revealed a tough but competitive property industry environment for graduates in search of placements with property firms. The Graduate Recruitment Survey aims to become an annual publication gauging the state of the UK graduate property market.
- LifRE Alumni launch
- The centre regularly hosts alumni meetings and biannual graduate events such as presentations by prestigious leading figures in the property sector. Activity focuses on forging closer links between LSBU property alumni and current teaching activities in order to foster further research and enterprise to reinvest in future initiatives at LSBU.
- Annual programme of events
- There are lectures and networking sessions from LifRE academic members, research students and visiting researchers, often linked to research and developments of general interest such as sustainability, international finance, regeneration areas in the Middle East and Asia.
- High level executive training
- These are intended for senior and middle managers in the real estate sector delivered as short courses by LSBU staff and invited speakers. Training is typically given in one-week blocks, each on an area of significant interest eg sustainability, growth markets and funding. Blocks are structured to enable people to build them into an MBA/MSc if they wish.
- Advisory board
- Members are drawn from leading real estate companies who primarily represent LSBU real estate alumni to promote the benefits of professional education and research support to the industry. The board offers advice on the educational content of programmes and development and dissemination programmes that underpin lectures and projects; advising on and assisting with raising the institute's profile.
24 April 2019Two day workshop on sustainable biodiesel production
26 April 2019LGBT+ Sports Fair 2019
2 May 2019Celebration of 50 Years of Accredited Planning Education at LSBU
8 May 2019Postgraduate Open Evening
9 May 2019Film Screening: The Psychosis of Whiteness with Director Q&A
31 May 2019LSBU Project Management Conference - Bridging the gap between theory and practice
13 June 2019Breast screening for people with learning disabilities
22 June 2019University Open Day
7 October 2019School of Business Graduation Ceremony 2019
14 October 2019Graduation Ceremony: School of Arts and Creative Industries; School of Applied Sciences; School of Law and Social Sciences
Engineering student wins award for London’s best robot
12 April 2019
Chris Skidmore, Minister of State for Universities, visits LSBU’s School of Arts and Creative Industries
10 April 2019
LSBU Journalism students launch 'Paint London Green' anti-air pollution campaign
10 April 2019
LSBU ranks in top 200 universities globally for social impact
5 April 2019
LSBU publishes gender pay gap 2019 report
29 March 2019
LSBU Bus Venture Crawl 2019
28 March 2019
Smart Energy Network study launches at London South Bank University
27 March 2019
Dr Charles Graham visits Landor - the leading global brand consultancy
26 March 2019
LSBU Women's Netball team win university league
20 March 2019