Health, Acoustics and Communications Engineering (HACE)
Research is concerned with three main areas; Acoustics, Communication systems and Biomedical engineering
Researchers are involved in the application of engineering to the monitoring of health, and to the investigation and mitigation of various health effects; and to improvement in the efficiency of various forms of communication in different environments. We have strong collaborative research links with the health, telecommunication and acoustic industries; with academia, music colleges and orchestras; with clinical institutions; and with government departments.
- £1.7 million in external research grants/contracts and 168 publications since 2008.
- £1.6 million collaborative EPSRC grant for research on remote techniques for more intelligent energy usage within dwellings.
- £0.66 million EPSRC funding for collaborative research on acoustic design of secondary schools informing the revision to Building Regulations.
- New prediction and testing methodology, and guidelines, for speech intelligibility of voice alarm systems now applied to 74 stations on the London Underground.
- Recognition of research through 6 prestigious national and international awards and prizes.
- Effects of noise on health, hearing and education; speech intelligibility.
- Biomedical Engineering and Communications (BiMEC)
- Communications: ultra wideband (UWB), wireless and optical systems and their applications in communication networks; design and development of medical and healthcare instrumentation.
Bioengineering: non-destructive measurement technologies for in-vivo skin and physiological studies.
23 August 2018CIPD courses at LSBU information evening
27 September 2018Dr Rami Ranger CBE Annual Enterprise Lecture
1 October 2018Graduation Ceremony - School of The Built Environment and Architecture; School of Engineering
6 October 2018University Open Day
15 October 2018Graduation Ceremony - School of Arts and Creative Industries; School of Applied Sciences; School of Law and Social Sciences
19 October 2018A season of Shakespeare: A Midsummer Night’s Dream
20 October 2018A season of Shakespeare: A Midsummer Night’s Dream
29 October 2018Graduation Ceremony - School of Business
31 October 2018Extended Project Support Programme
5 November 2018Graduation Ceremony - School of Health and Social Care
LSBU experts conclude that Heliport noise could be a danger to health
14 August 2018
LSBU awarded Gold standard for supporting armed forces community
8 August 2018
Former MP and minister appointed University Chancellor
1 August 2018
Two student teams reach Engineering Design Challenge National Final
9 July 2018
LSBU academic chosen as one of the top figures in NHS history
3 July 2018
Academic wins award for pioneering research on kidney care
29 June 2018
Ex-smokers might be better off with high rather than low nicotine e-cigs
18 June 2018
LSBU students provide solutions for the local business community
14 June 2018
Ground-breaking report shows gangs are more money than territory-orientated
5 June 2018