Health, Acoustics and Communications Engineering (HACE)
Research is concerned with three main areas; Acoustics, Communication systems and Biomedical engineering
Researchers are involved in the application of engineering to the monitoring of health, and to the investigation and mitigation of various health effects; and to improvement in the efficiency of various forms of communication in different environments. We have strong collaborative research links with the health, telecommunication and acoustic industries; with academia, music colleges and orchestras; with clinical institutions; and with government departments.
- £1.7 million in external research grants/contracts and 168 publications since 2008.
- £1.6 million collaborative EPSRC grant for research on remote techniques for more intelligent energy usage within dwellings.
- £0.66 million EPSRC funding for collaborative research on acoustic design of secondary schools informing the revision to Building Regulations.
- New prediction and testing methodology, and guidelines, for speech intelligibility of voice alarm systems now applied to 74 stations on the London Underground.
- Recognition of research through 6 prestigious national and international awards and prizes.
- Effects of noise on health, hearing and education; speech intelligibility.
- Biomedical Engineering and Communications (BiMEC)
- Communications: ultra wideband (UWB), wireless and optical systems and their applications in communication networks; design and development of medical and healthcare instrumentation.
Bioengineering: non-destructive measurement technologies for in-vivo skin and physiological studies.
Ask a question
Tel: 0800 923 8888
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7815 6100Get in touch
19 February 2018Lebanese International Student Fair - Day three
21 February 2018Egyptian International Student Fair - Day one
21 February 2018LSBU Spring Festival Gala 2018
22 February 2018Egyptian International Student Fair - Day two
22 February 2018Research today: Atta Muhammad discusses corporate disclosure by banks
22 February 2018Domestic Abuse through the Life Course
24 February 2018World Education Fair Bucharest - Day one
25 February 2018World Education Fair Bucharest - Day two
27 February 2018Meet our inspiring Law division alumni
28 February 2018BSc (Hons) Product Design/BSc (Hons) Engineering Product Design Information Session
LSBU is ranked tenth for diversity by top recruitment firm for 2017
13 February 2018
His Royal Highness The Duke of York officially opens South Bank Engineering University Training College
9 February 2018
LSBU's new Passmore Centre set to boost Southwark apprenticeships
7 February 2018
Peter Tatchell to speak at LSBU Global Panel discussion for LGBT Month
5 February 2018
LSBU University student wins national bursary for engineering talent
29 January 2018
Dynamic partnership with London South Bank University and the V & A proves a hit
24 January 2018
Professor David Nutt: Psychedelics and the 1960s mind
22 January 2018
LSBU hosts first Media Communications and Cultural Studies Association conference
13 January 2018
LSBU supports Southwark Council’s successful bid to regenerate Walworth heritage
12 January 2018