Business and Management
Research carried out under the Business and Management subject grouping at LSBU looks at three main areas of research:
- International Business
- Management Education
- Information Systems and Management
Creation of research interests
Since establishing in 2004, LSBU's School of Business has been through a period of sustained development. This culminated in 2009 with a strategic move to a multi-disciplinary research grouping focusing on Business and Management that draws on the strengths of the University's well-established Centre for International Business Studies (CIBS).
The move away from computing research led to the absorption of some staff into new research groupings in the areas of Information Management and Business Systems; Innovation and Technology Management; International Business; and Management, Education and Development. This then brought about the formal disestablishment of the Institute of Computing Research (ICR).
The focus of our research and scholarship has practical applications for business and management. This is highly in tune with the University's remit to pursue applied research with real-world impact and the desire to enhance the professionalism of both individuals and organisations.
Our research cuts across subject research, teaching practice and student learning and we encourage pedagogic and educational research that supports business development. Thus we focus on applied research and scholarship that links professional practice and subject knowledge, that underpins our postgraduate provision, provides opportunities for knowledge transfer between our stakeholders and opportunities for staff to enhance their professional profile.
- increase in the number of research active staff and of the number submitted to the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
- research income has increased from approximately £1.5 million to nearly £3 million during the REF 2014 period. Income sources include research councils, government funds, charities and industry (both UK and international)
- Doctoral student completions have increased from 14.75 (FTE) to 21.8. There are a further 18 students on the research phase of the DBA (estimated to complete in 2015) and 20 on the taught part
- external research collaborations have been established e.g. with Hanze University of Applied Sciences (Netherlands), Berlin School of Economics and Law (Germany), International Academy of Management (Hong Kong), University of Calgary (Canada), University of St Cyrilius and Methodious (FYR Macedonia), Technical University of Dortmund and University of Ljubljana.
28 August 2019International Conference on Renewable Energy and Vacuum Insulation for Nearly Zero Energy Buildings
28 August 2019CIPD courses at LSBU information evening
5 October 2019University Open Day
7 October 2019School of Business Graduation Ceremony 2019
14 October 2019Graduation Ceremony: School of Arts and Creative Industries; School of Applied Sciences; School of Law and Social Sciences
28 October 2019LSBU Graduations 2019: School of the Built Environment; School of Engineering
4 November 2019School of Health and Social Care Graduation Ceremony 2019
9 November 2019University Open Day
27 November 2019Postgraduate Open Evening
Mature students aiming for career change make LSBU first choice in Clearing
15 August 2019
Chiropractic student wins ‘best new delegate’ at World Congress of Chiropractic Students AGM
6 August 2019
Drama graduates perform at Kingston's International Youth Arts Fringe Festival
8 July 2019
Design students win 2019 PVC Redesigned competition
5 July 2019
Bakery students achieve great success at the Alliance of Bakery Students and Trainees Conference 2019
3 July 2019
LSBU first UK university to launch fully chartered town planner apprenticeship scheme
27 June 2019
Engineering the Future: Two teams of LSBU students make it to Design Challenge National Finals
27 June 2019
LSBU celebrates wealth of local business talent at Southwark Business Awards Gala Finale
18 June 2019
Creative Technologies students celebrate work at End of Year Show
14 June 2019