Our School of Health and Social Care works with more than 60 NHS partner organisations from in and around London
LSBU's School of Health and Social Care has a long and well-deserved reputation for providing high quality education and training. As a university, LSBU undertakes research that makes a difference. The School has over 400 teaching/research staff and a student body of over 7,000, with campuses in Southwark, South London and Havering, East London.
The Southwark campus has sophisticated facilities including 14 interprofessional skills laboratories and the Havering campus provides high quality educational facilities. LSBU is the largest provider of CPPD for the health and social care workforce in the South East and is proud of its high reputation in the field.
The School works with more than 60+ NHS partner organisations from in and around London to deliver a wide range of educational programmes for a variety of healthcare professionals. These include bands 1-4 workers, nurses, midwives, social workers and many Allied Health professionals.
Continuing Professional Development
Our CPPD Portfolio includes a range of programmes, modules, study days and bespoke projects that have all been designed to meet the needs of our service colleagues. Programmes are designed and implemented in collaboration with them to ensure we support workforce development that is not only fit for today but can lead and innovate in the future.
Most of these programmes are clinically focused and are becoming increasingly work based. Our complete CPPD Porfolio is designed to be flexible and offer a variety of delivery modes including e-learning and all are underpinned by a robust research and practice based culture.
Our current partner organisations in London include:
- Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust
- Barnet and Chase Farm Hospitals NHS Trust
- Barnet Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust
- Barts Health
- Bromley Healthcare
- Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust
- Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust
- Central London Community Healthcare NHS Trust
- Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Croydon Health Services NHS Trust
- Ealing Hospital NHS Trust
- East London NHS Foundation Trust
- Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust
- Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust
- Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust
- Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
- King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Kingston Hospital NHS Trust
- Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust
- London North West Healthcare
- Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- North East London NHS Foundation Trust
- North Middlesex University Hospital Trust
- Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust
- Royal Brompton and Harefield NHS Foundation Trust
- Royal Free Hampstead NHS Trust
- Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Trust
- South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust
- South West London and St Georges Mental Health NHS Trust
- St Georges Healthcare NHS Trust
- The Hillingdon Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- The Hounslow and Richmond Community Healthcare NHS Trust
- The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust
- The Whittington Hospital NHS Trust
- University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- West London Mental Health NHS Trust
- West Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust
What an NHS Partner says about us
LSBU enables staff at every level to realise their potential to deliver high quality care to all.Sarah Connor, Professional Development Lead, Kingston Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Sophisticated facilities
- Our superb central London facilities provide an ideal environment for clinical skills development and simulation learning using the latest technologies. The skills laboratories and lecture rooms are equipped with facilities for teaching a variety of skills in a safe environment, allowing participants to develop high levels of competence and confidence under close supervision. Read more about School facilities in our Story Finder.
- Preparing the healthcare workforce of tomorrow
- Our CPPD is innovative and contemporary to meet future needs of the healthcare workforce.
- Flexible, modular CPPD for all health and social care levels
- Unusually for a University, we offer programmes for all levels of healthcare staff. These range from study days to foundation degrees for staff working in bands 1-4, top up degrees for health care professionals wishing to become graduates, specialist modules, master's programmes and professional doctorates for a variety of healthcare professionals. Our flexible, modular approach to CPPD allows individuals to study and reach their goals at their own pace, that fits in with the organisations requirements.
- Easy online application
- Our bespoke online application system allows people to browse for CPPD and apply on line, with no need to fill out lots of paperwork. The system requires the sponsoring organisation to approve the application, ensuring employer involvement from the outset. Read our CPPD Portfolio and complete an application.
- Feedback and Monitoring for Employers
- Our online reporting system allows you to monitor the uptake of academic programme and student progression. Employer receive monthly reports from our system and each employer is allocated a customer account manager to oversee this process.
- Programmes delivered by clinical experts
- Undertaking CPPD at LSBU means learning from experts with excellent knowledge and clinical skills in their area of speciality. Many of our academic staff hold joint posts between LSBU and some of London's most prestigious hospitals and healthcare services.
- Research Opportunities
- The School of Health and Social Care has 13 professors with expertise that covers all branches of nursing, midwifery, public health and health promotion, occupational therapy, traditional Chinese medicine and social work. Read more about the university's centres and themes and research degrees at LSBU.
- Bespoke provision
- If you can't find a CPPD module that suits the needs of your workforce we offer a variety of bespoke opportunities, created in partnership with managers that meet the demands of healthcare's ever-changing climate.
14 December 2018Two Gentlemen of Verona, directed by Aled Pedrick
15 December 2018Two Gentlemen of Verona, directed by Aled Pedrick
18 December 2018CIPD courses at LSBU information evening
9 January 2019University Open Evening
18 January 2019Addressing Complexity: Homelessness and Addiction
8 February 2019Beyond the Console: Gender and Narrative Games - Day One
9 February 2019Beyond the Console: Gender and Narrative Games - Day Two
14 February 2019Education Across the Divide Conference 2019: Creative and Innovative Approaches to Inclusive Education
9 March 2019University Open Day
London South Bank University’s new Passmore Centre will drive Apprenticeship delivery in Southwark
28 November 2018
£10,000 win for LSBU student’s water heating solution
14 November 2018
South Bank celebration marks Sir Simon Hughes becoming new Chancellor of LSBU
9 November 2018
LSBU professor awarded for major engineering management accomplishments
6 November 2018
Lord David Blunkett former home secretary awarded honorary doctorate
1 November 2018
Calling all Engineers: LSBU’s Thomas Empson urges creative contributions to sustainable development
1 November 2018
David Longbottom, former LSBU Pro-Chancellor, awarded honorary doctorate
1 November 2018
LSBU chocolatier Barry Johnson to represent UK in world's biggest chocolate contest
24 October 2018
Hollywood actor David Oyelowo awarded honorary doctorate by London South Bank University
15 October 2018