London South Bank University's (LSBU) Development Office has been shortlisted in the category of 'Outstanding Fundraising Team' in the Times Higher Education Leadership and Management Awards (THELMA Awards).
The announcement follows a string of successes for the Development team, which is also celebrating the award of an 'honourable mention' in the Matched Funding Scheme for Voluntary Giving - the second time the team has been recognised in this way.
The government launched the £200m funding scheme in 2008 to match eligible gifts raised by universities. That same year LSBU set a stretch target for fundraising by entering the middle tier of the government's match funding programme, ultimately raising over £1.3m of eligible funds.
Commenting on these successes, Mike Simmons, Director of Development and Alumni Relations said: "We are delighted to have been shortlisted for the 'Outstanding Fundraising Team' award at the forthcoming THELMA Awards and to have once again been recognised for our fundraising by the government's Matched Funding Scheme.
"This is significant recognition not just for the fundraising team but for everyone in the faculties and departments involved in the University's fundraising efforts, be it through raising the profile and reputation of LSBU, by supporting events, or engaging with potential supporters."
Some of the most significant achievements of the LSBU Development Office over the last year include:
- Receiving its first ever £1m gift
- Receiving gifts of over £2.5m (exceeding its annual target of £1.4m)
- Receiving additional matched funding of £750k
- Receiving its first Heritage Lottery Fund grant of £240k to create a new art gallery at the University and to bring an historic art collection to the local area
- Receiving gifts in kind worth over £200k
- Increasing the average size of gifts to the Annual Fund by 20%
The announcement of the winners of the THELMA awards will be made at the awards ceremony, at the Grosvenor House Hotel, London on Thursday 21 June 2012.
Find out more about fundraising at LSBU.
Posted: 8th May 2012