Become an exam invigilator
To invigilate exams, you'll need to balance handling nervous students with effective supervision of the exam room, ensuring the risk of misconduct or disruption is minimised.
It's an important task; throughout the year, we'll be looking for enthusiastic invigilators with common sense, accuracy, attention to detail, and a willingness to provide the best examination experience possible for our students. You must be reliable and punctual, with a flexible attitude to work and good communication skills.
Please note: LSBU students are not eligible for this opportunity.
Key qualities of an invigilator
To become an invigilator, you'll need to be able to:
- Understand and apply detailed written instructions, while maintaining accuracy and attention to detail
- Concentrate and work quickly under pressure, for several hours at a time
- Maintain confidentiality
- Use initiative in response to unexpected situations
- Be aware and committed to equal opportunities and diversity
- Keep up to date with relevant OU regulations and procedures
- Work to strict deadlines
- Be IT literate
- Show leadership skills (for senior invigilators)
- Maintain strict discipline standards and be firm but fair (for senior invigilators)
Your duties include setting up examination rooms, checking attendance, observing, collecting scripts, and liaising with candidates and examination staff to resolve queries. For more information, please read our job description (DOCX File 42 KB).
Previous experience as an invigilator within an educational establishment is desirable but not essential.
We recruit at particular times of the year and may hold onto your application until there is a vacancy.
Exam periods 2019
|Semester 1||Resits||Semester 2||Resits|
|14 January - 25 January||8 April - 12 April||20 May - 7 June||15 July - 23 August|
We require a large number of invigilators during examination periods.
We offer £10.20 per hour. Please note that you will not be paid for any breaks (including lunch breaks).
How to apply
- Download and complete the invigilator screening questions (DOCX File 52 KB).
- Email your completed form to email@example.com between 1 November 2018 and 10 December 2018.
- Register with LSBU Employment online and complete their compliance check.
- Short-listed applicants will be contacted by 15th December 2018. You will be invited to attend a training session on January 8th 2019. This training session is part of the recruitment process and you won't be compensated for your time.
Due to the large number of applications we receive, we are only able to reply to successful applicants. If you haven't heard back from us by 24th December, your application has been unsuccessful.
24 April 2019Two day workshop on sustainable biodiesel production
26 April 2019LGBT+ Sports Fair 2019
2 May 2019Celebration of 50 Years of Accredited Planning Education at LSBU
8 May 2019Postgraduate Open Evening
9 May 2019Film Screening: The Psychosis of Whiteness with Director Q&A
31 May 2019LSBU Project Management Conference - Bridging the gap between theory and practice
13 June 2019Breast screening for people with learning disabilities
22 June 2019University Open Day
7 October 2019School of Business Graduation Ceremony 2019
14 October 2019Graduation Ceremony: School of Arts and Creative Industries; School of Applied Sciences; School of Law and Social Sciences
Engineering student wins award for London’s best robot
12 April 2019
Chris Skidmore, Minister of State for Universities, visits LSBU’s School of Arts and Creative Industries
10 April 2019
LSBU Journalism students launch 'Paint London Green' anti-air pollution campaign
10 April 2019
LSBU ranks in top 200 universities globally for social impact
5 April 2019
LSBU publishes gender pay gap 2019 report
29 March 2019
LSBU Bus Venture Crawl 2019
28 March 2019
Smart Energy Network study launches at London South Bank University
27 March 2019
Dr Charles Graham visits Landor - the leading global brand consultancy
26 March 2019
LSBU Women's Netball team win university league
20 March 2019