Become an exam invigilator
To invigilate exams, you'll need to balance handling nervous students with effective supervision of the exam room, ensuring the risk of misconduct or disruption is minimised.
It's an important task; throughout the year, we'll be looking for enthusiastic invigilators with common sense, accuracy, attention to detail, and a willingness to provide the best examination experience possible for our students. You must be reliable and punctual, with a flexible attitude to work and good communication skills.
Please note: LSBU students are not eligible for this opportunity.
Key qualities of an invigilator
To become an invigilator, you'll need to be able to:
- Understand and apply detailed written instructions, while maintaining accuracy and attention to detail
- Concentrate and work quickly under pressure, for several hours at a time
- Maintain confidentiality
- Use initiative in response to unexpected situations
- Be aware and committed to equal opportunities and diversity
- Keep up to date with relevant OU regulations and procedures
- Work to strict deadlines
- Be IT literate
- Show leadership skills (for senior invigilators)
- Maintain strict discipline standards and be firm but fair (for senior invigilators)
Your duties include setting up examination rooms, checking attendance, observing, collecting scripts, and liaising with candidates and examination staff to resolve queries. For more information, please read our job description (DOCX File 42 KB).
Previous experience as an invigilator within an educational establishment is desirable but not essential.
We recruit at particular times of the year and may hold onto your application until there is a vacancy.
Exam periods 2019
|Semester 1||Resits||Semester 2||Resits|
|14 January - 25 January||8 April - 12 April||20 May - 7 June||15 July - 23 August|
We require a large number of invigilators during examination periods.
We offer £10.20 per hour. Please note that you will not be paid for any breaks (including lunch breaks).
How to apply
- Download and complete the invigilator screening questions (DOCX File 52 KB).
- Email your completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org between 1 November 2018 and 10 December 2018.
- Register with LSBU Employment online and complete their compliance check.
- Short-listed applicants will be contacted by 15th December 2018. You will be invited to attend a training session on January 8th 2019. This training session is part of the recruitment process and you won't be compensated for your time.
Due to the large number of applications we receive, we are only able to reply to successful applicants. If you haven't heard back from us by 24th December, your application has been unsuccessful.
27 February 2019CIPD courses at LSBU information evening
28 February 2019Development of indicators of absorptive capacity at micro and macro levels
28 February 2019Closet Worker - How LGBT+ rights have shaped the workplace
6 March 2019Casual Misogyny and Sexism - Banter or Oppression?
9 March 2019University Open Day
14 March 2019Dark social: The biggest missed opportunity in marketing
20 March 2019Applied Science Experience Day
21 March 2019'Visualizing Consumer Culture: A Semiotic Understanding of Interpreted Brands
27 March 2019Non-Medical Prescribing CPD Study Day
28 March 2019Responding to ageing demographics: A positive view from a public administration and public policy perspective.
LSBU leads south London alliance supporting Mayor's new construction skills academy
13 February 2019
LSBU supports Southwark’s Business excellence awards 2019
13 February 2019
London South Bank first UK University to offer Digital Marketer Degree Apprenticeships
7 February 2019
London South Bank University and Lambeth College unite to transform educational opportunities in south London
1 February 2019
LSBU alumnus Stephen Addison honoured for helping young people in East London escape gang culture
29 January 2019
Branching out: LSBU research fellow tours universities UK-wide to promote The Great Competition
14 January 2019
Renowned physicist Brian Cox addresses African knowledge exchange conference at LSBU
21 December 2018
LSBU helps establish waste management model for Indonesia
17 December 2018
Engineering students win big at the Engineering Sketches Prize
13 December 2018