At LSBU we are committed to providing a fair and transparent recruitment process. Our aim is to appoint the person who is best suited to the role. Understanding our selection process and what we are looking for will help you make the best possible application.
We ask that you complete the online application process so that everyone gives us information in the same format. This allows us to assess your application in a consistent way based on the selection criteria for the role. The information you provide in your application form is the only information we will use to in deciding whether you will be shortlisted for an interview.
Please note that CVs will not be accepted. Please make sure you complete the online application process in full if you want to be considered.
To apply for a vacancy at LSBU you will need to register to use the e-Recruitment system and submit an online application. Once you have made an online application we will store your information and when you log back in it will be available for you to use in making future applications to the university.
- Personal details
- Employment history
- Education and training
- Evidence for selection criteria
- Equality and Diversity Information
- Declaration and Data Protection Act
Please make sure that you complete all the fields. Help will be available on screen to guide you through the online application form. Mandatory fields are marked with a red asterisk.
Here are some tips that might help:
- You can complete each section of the form in stages
- You will be able to save and edit your application at any point before submission
- To save time with your application it may be helpful to have key information to hand before you start
- You can cut and paste content from other documents into the sections of the form or type information straight in
- If you are typing directly into the form please make sure you save your work at regular intervals to avoid “time-outs”
- By clicking Next at the bottom of each section your work will be saved
- Use the Next and Previous buttons to scroll through the sections of the form
- To review your progress click the Summary button
- You can preview your application and save a copy before you submit it to check for any errors or omissions
- Once you have completed all the sections please remember to press the Submit button once your application is completed
- Once you’ve submitted your form you will not be able to change it
- After you have submitted your application a screen confirming it has been successfully submitted appears, together with your reference number
- The recruiting manager will only see the final submitted form
- To keep a copy of your form you can request an PDF via email from this screen
In this section you will be asked to complete a short statement to show how you meet each of the selection criteria on the person specification (A, B, C, D etc). Before completing your application make sure you have read the job description and selection criteria.
This section is your opportunity to demonstrate that you have the skills, knowledge or experience for the role.
It is important that you provide specific examples here. Don’t assume that your qualifications or career history speak for themselves. It can be helpful to use the STAR method:
- S – describe the situation
- T – what was your task or role
- A – what action did you take
- R – what was the outcome
All job opportunities have a fixed closing date for applications to be submitted. You will be able to submit your application up until midnight on the published closing date. Once the date has passed the role will not appear on the jobs page and you will not be able to submit an online application or see the job details. So, please remember to download a copy of the description because you may need to refer to it later on.
Shortlisting is carried out anonymously by two managers who do not see personal information such as your name, equality data or address. Shortlisting usually takes about two weeks to complete and we will contact you to let you know the outcome as soon as possible.
The information you provide in your application may be retained in both a hard copy and electronic format. We keep this information for the purpose of recruitment administration, carrying out anonymised statistical analysis and equality monitoring, and reporting on the recruitment process.
If you are appointed to a post at LSBU the data you have provided will be used for HR, payroll and pension administration. If you are unsuccessful your data may be retained for a maximum of twelve months.
If you are invited for an interview, we will contact you by email and you will be able to see information and book your own interview slot online.
We are committed to ensuring our recruitment procedures and practices are accessible.
It is important to us that you let us know as soon as possible if you have any specific requirements that we can assist with during the recruitment process.
Access arrangements might include (among others):
- assistance with completing your application
- requesting information in an alternative format
- arranging a sign language interpreter or other communication support for the interview
- ensuring interview rooms are accessible (e.g. space, lighting, seating, sound proofing)
- providing computer equipment with assistive software, should you be required to undertake a computer based assessment
Please note this information will not be part of the selection process and will only be available to those involved in arranging the interview.
You can tell us in confidence about your access requirements in the Equality and Diversity information section.
For more information or assistance with completing the application process please contact the HR Service Desk: email@example.com
LSBU is committed to removing the barriers that disabled applicants experience in the workplace. We operate the interview guarantee scheme for applicants who declare a disability and meet the essential criteria.
At LSBU our many international staff and students are a valued part of our vibrant and diverse community, and play a vital role in the future of the University. We welcome international applicants who have the right to work in the UK or who are eligible for sponsorship under the Tier 2 visa scheme.
For academic and research posts which fall within the Tier 2 criteria, we are able to sponsor staff who require a visa. However, the government requires employers to recruit from within the resident labour market whenever possible.
We are not normally able to sponsor staff appointed in professional service roles under Tier 2. Please note that we cannot guarantee to sponsor successful applicants who are non UK/EU nationals.
Find out more information on whether you require a visa.
28 August 2019International Conference on Renewable Energy and Vacuum Insulation for Nearly Zero Energy Buildings
28 August 2019CIPD courses at LSBU information evening
5 October 2019University Open Day
7 October 2019School of Business Graduation Ceremony 2019
14 October 2019Graduation Ceremony: School of Arts and Creative Industries; School of Applied Sciences; School of Law and Social Sciences
28 October 2019LSBU Graduations 2019: School of the Built Environment; School of Engineering
4 November 2019School of Health and Social Care Graduation Ceremony 2019
9 November 2019University Open Day
22 November 2019Choose Your Next Steps
27 November 2019Postgraduate Open Evening
Enabling engineers to become more entrepreneurial
23 August 2019
Mature students aiming for career change make LSBU first choice in Clearing
15 August 2019
Chiropractic student wins ‘best new delegate’ at World Congress of Chiropractic Students AGM
6 August 2019
Drama graduates perform at Kingston's International Youth Arts Fringe Festival
8 July 2019
Design students win 2019 PVC Redesigned competition
5 July 2019
Bakery students achieve great success at the Alliance of Bakery Students and Trainees Conference 2019
3 July 2019
LSBU first UK university to launch fully chartered town planner apprenticeship scheme
27 June 2019
Engineering the Future: Two teams of LSBU students make it to Design Challenge National Finals
27 June 2019
LSBU celebrates wealth of local business talent at Southwark Business Awards Gala Finale
18 June 2019