At LSBU we are committed to providing a fair and transparent recruitment process. Our aim is to appoint the person who is best suited to the role. Understanding our selection process and what we are looking for will help you make the best possible application.
We ask that you complete the online application process so that everyone gives us information in the same format. This allows us to assess your application in a consistent way based on the selection criteria for the role. The information you provide in your application form is the only information we will use to in deciding whether you will be shortlisted for an interview.
Please note that CVs will not be accepted. Please make sure you complete the online application process in full if you want to be considered.
To apply for a vacancy at LSBU you will need to register to use the e-Recruitment system and submit an online application. Once you have made an online application we will store your information and when you log back in it will be available for you to use in making future applications to the university.
- Personal details
- Employment history
- Education and training
- Evidence for selection criteria
- Equality and Diversity Information
- Declaration and Data Protection Act
Please make sure that you complete all the fields. Help will be available on screen to guide you through the online application form. Mandatory fields are marked with a red asterisk.
Here are some tips that might help:
- You can complete each section of the form in stages
- You will be able to save and edit your application at any point before submission
- To save time with your application it may be helpful to have key information to hand before you start
- You can cut and paste content from other documents into the sections of the form or type information straight in
- If you are typing directly into the form please make sure you save your work at regular intervals to avoid “time-outs”
- By clicking Next at the bottom of each section your work will be saved
- Use the Next and Previous buttons to scroll through the sections of the form
- To review your progress click the Summary button
- You can preview your application and save a copy before you submit it to check for any errors or omissions
- Once you have completed all the sections please remember to press the Submit button once your application is completed
- Once you’ve submitted your form you will not be able to change it
- After you have submitted your application a screen confirming it has been successfully submitted appears, together with your reference number
- The recruiting manager will only see the final submitted form
- To keep a copy of your form you can request an PDF via email from this screen
In this section you will be asked to complete a short statement to show how you meet each of the selection criteria on the person specification (A, B, C, D etc). Before completing your application make sure you have read the job description and selection criteria.
This section is your opportunity to demonstrate that you have the skills, knowledge or experience for the role.
It is important that you provide specific examples here. Don’t assume that your qualifications or career history speak for themselves. It can be helpful to use the STAR method:
- S – describe the situation
- T – what was your task or role
- A – what action did you take
- R – what was the outcome
All job opportunities have a fixed closing date for applications to be submitted. You will be able to submit your application up until midnight on the published closing date. Once the date has passed the role will not appear on the jobs page and you will not be able to submit an online application or see the job details. So, please remember to download a copy of the description because you may need to refer to it later on.
Shortlisting is carried out anonymously by two managers who do not see personal information such as your name, equality data or address. Shortlisting usually takes about two weeks to complete and we will contact you to let you know the outcome as soon as possible.
The information you provide in your application may be retained in both a hard copy and electronic format. We keep this information for the purpose of recruitment administration, carrying out anonymised statistical analysis and equality monitoring, and reporting on the recruitment process.
If you are appointed to a post at LSBU the data you have provided will be used for HR, payroll and pension administration. If you are unsuccessful your data may be retained for a maximum of twelve months.
If you are invited for an interview, we will contact you by email and you will be able to see information and book your own interview slot online.
We are committed to ensuring our recruitment procedures and practices are accessible.
It is important to us that you let us know as soon as possible if you have any specific requirements that we can assist with during the recruitment process.
Access arrangements might include (among others):
- assistance with completing your application
- requesting information in an alternative format
- arranging a sign language interpreter or other communication support for the interview
- ensuring interview rooms are accessible (e.g. space, lighting, seating, sound proofing)
- providing computer equipment with assistive software, should you be required to undertake a computer based assessment
Please note this information will not be part of the selection process and will only be available to those involved in arranging the interview.
You can tell us in confidence about your access requirements in the Equality and Diversity information section.
For more information or assistance with completing the application process please contact the HR Service Desk: email@example.com
LSBU is committed to removing the barriers that disabled applicants experience in the workplace. We operate the interview guarantee scheme for applicants who declare a disability and meet the essential criteria.
At LSBU our many international staff and students are a valued part of our vibrant and diverse community, and play a vital role in the future of the University. We welcome international applicants who have the right to work in the UK or who are eligible for sponsorship under the Tier 2 visa scheme.
For academic and research posts which fall within the Tier 2 criteria, we are able to sponsor staff who require a visa. However, the government requires employers to recruit from within the resident labour market whenever possible.
We are not normally able to sponsor staff appointed in professional service roles under Tier 2. Please note that we cannot guarantee to sponsor successful applicants who are non UK/EU nationals.
Find out more information on whether you require a visa.
27 February 2019CIPD courses at LSBU information evening
28 February 2019Development of indicators of absorptive capacity at micro and macro levels
28 February 2019Closet Worker - How LGBT+ rights have shaped the workplace
6 March 2019Casual Misogyny and Sexism - Banter or Oppression?
9 March 2019University Open Day
14 March 2019Dark social: The biggest missed opportunity in marketing
20 March 2019Applied Science Experience Day
21 March 2019'Visualizing Consumer Culture: A Semiotic Understanding of Interpreted Brands
27 March 2019Non-Medical Prescribing CPD Study Day
28 March 2019Responding to ageing demographics: A positive view from a public administration and public policy perspective.
LSBU leads south London alliance supporting Mayor's new construction skills academy
13 February 2019
LSBU supports Southwark’s Business excellence awards 2019
13 February 2019
London South Bank first UK University to offer Digital Marketer Degree Apprenticeships
7 February 2019
London South Bank University and Lambeth College unite to transform educational opportunities in south London
1 February 2019
LSBU alumnus Stephen Addison honoured for helping young people in East London escape gang culture
29 January 2019
Branching out: LSBU research fellow tours universities UK-wide to promote The Great Competition
14 January 2019
Renowned physicist Brian Cox addresses African knowledge exchange conference at LSBU
21 December 2018
LSBU helps establish waste management model for Indonesia
17 December 2018
Engineering students win big at the Engineering Sketches Prize
13 December 2018